DD Travel Hammock shoddy work!!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all
I got round to finally looking at my new DD travel hammock following on from a previous thread:- http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27816

I only recieved the hammock last week after contacting the supplier by phone to see what the hold up was.

I even emailed DD hammocks to confirm that they did have 2008 travel hammocks and that the company I bought off actually stocked them (dd confirmed that they did).

I decided to put the hammock up in my garden today. I watched Pablos you tube vid (thanks Pablo :You_Rock_ ) and set about the task in hand.

The first thing I noticed was white pen marks on the mozzy net from the factory
DSC02336.jpg

Then I noticed the damage to the net itself
DSC02337.jpg

Then I became quite angry when I noticed that 2 of the net hanging tabs were hanging off
DSC02334.jpg

DSC02335.jpg

:yuck: :eek: :yuck: :eek: :(

I felt that this level of quality control was a disgrace and feel that I could not recommend this product to anyone, even before I'd got into the thing.

I got to work restitching the loose tabs after first sealing up the frayed ends with a naked flame.
I then stitched them back on over the top of the tape in their original positions.
I checked all the tabs and put a couple of stitches in one of them to beef it up a bit.
DSC02341.jpg

I also modified some ally poles I have lying around to make some net spreaders for night time and blow pokers for the daytime.
DSC02339.jpg

DSC02338.jpg

I left the damaged mozzy net fearing I would make it worse if I messed with it.

I then tried out the hammock and found it to be comfy and stable.

I don't feel it will stand the test of time to be honest though and am glad that I like sleeping in a bivvy on the floor.

I have not contacted my supplier or DD about this poor grade of work as I have fixed it myself, and didn't want to go through the hassel of sending it back etc.

DD Hammocks NIL poin

Bodge

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That`s a shame Bodge and totally unacceptable. I think yours must have slipped under the QC radar.

I would still be tempted to get another one sent out though.

Rich

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
That's disgraceful and disappointing, I've never seen a DD product arrive in that state before. I'd get tham to replace it ASAP.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I have not contacted my supplier or DD about this poor grade of work as I have fixed it myself, and didn't want to go through the hassel of sending it back etc.
You should really contact DD about this to make sure no other sub-standard hammock gets through their QC.... I'm sure they would fix the problem by sending another ASAP.

Ed

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!

You should definitely contact DD about it. This one must have slipped through their QC - if you contact them and explain the problem you maybe able to help them stop it happening again. IMHO a bit bad form to complain on a forum without contacting the company first and seeing what their response is :confused: .

Mine had the white chalk marks on it but for the price I paid I wasn't fussed. In fact I quite liked the "man made" feel it gave to the whole thing :D !

The loops and net are a bit of a shame though. Looks like the net has snagged on something and I seem to remember someone else having problems with the net loops with their group buy hammock.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Hi all

I felt that this level of quality control was a disgrace and feel that I could not recommend this product to anyone, even before I'd got into the thing.

DD Hammocks NIL poin

Bodge

These things MAY happen in ANY mass produced product.
There is really no need to work yourself into a frenzy because of this.
If you buy by mailorder, you have to accept that there may be the need to send something back because of things like these. You dont want the hassle, buy locally or not at all.
You want something absolutely perfect (manufactured in general and sewn in this case) with even something unimportant like the seamstress´ chalk marks taken care off, have a local seamstress make you one and pay dearly for it.
Of course, its something that could have been avoided and its dissapointing at first when receiving a product in this sate.
But starting a thread like this and generalising as you did is very bad manners with reference to the company involved, who, as it seems, didnt even have the chance to react.
Start growing up and face the realities of our economical system.
there is no need to go over the top with a

IMHO a bit bad form to complain on a forum without contacting the company first and seeing what their response is :confused:

Yes maybe it is but considering I had to wait for well over a month to actually get this hammock(not DDs' fault) the 3rd party supplier would need me to send it back to them who would in turn send it back to DD who would then contact me and say "sorry- it must of slipped through quality control" they would then send one back to the 3rd party company who would eventually send it back to me. Eventually I would end up out of pocket somewhere along the line and felt that it would be best all round to fix it myself.

with respect BM I speak as I find and found shoddy work.
There would be no gain for me to contact DD direct now its been fixed. I feel it would appear that I want some kind of compensation for my efforts when I don't.:)
The net damage is excusable but the tabs were quite visibly hanging out.
Which leads me to think this hammock was not even checked at QC

Bodge:)

These things MAY happen in ANY mass produced product.
There is really no need to work yourself into a frenzy because of this.
If you buy by mailorder, you have to accept that there may be the need to send something back because of things like these. You dont want the hassle, buy locally or not at all.
You want something absolutely perfect (manufactured in general and sewn in this case) with even something unimportant like the seamstress´ chalk marks taken care off, have a local seamstress make you one and pay dearly for it.
Of course, its something that could have been avoided and its dissapointing at first when receiving a product in this sate.
But starting a thread like this and generalising as you did is very bad manners with reference to the company involved, who, as it seems, didnt even have the chance to react.
Start growing up and face the realities of our economical system.
there is no need to go over the top with a

I am in no frenzy and realised these things can happen in mass manufacture, but I thought that is why quality control exists.
Beermonster mentioned that someone else had this problem from the group buy. I didn't see that post.

with regard to growing up and facing the realities of our economical system, I have and do
and am sorry that you feel I have gone over the top with my post.

Bodge

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I think it's quite reasonable to give a heads up on here to others regarding quality of goods, and I found nothing OTT in Bodges original post other than his clear disappointment, understandable given the back-story of his hammock.

I would strongly recommend that Bodge go direct to DD and arrange a replacement, but it's his choice. DD have been known to read this forum, and may decide to act independently. I hope they at least spot this thread because I for one have never had a problem with their gear (not any that were their fault anyway ;) ) and would hate to see this sort of thing continue.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
It is always disappointing to receive something you've been wanting or waiting for for a long time, only to see bad workmanship. I know that on the few times it's happened to me I've been so angry I could crush a grape.. but seriously I do get very very annoyed, I hate to see sloppy workmanship or service. I echo the above when people are trying urging you to contact DD themselves. Look at it this way, while you may not get anything from them other than an apology ( which is better than nothing ) you are letting them know of the problem which may prevent other customers getting similar goods. At the best you may get something from them, but personally I doubt it, as you've already altered the hammock yourself.

I worked for a large supermarket chain as a duty manager, and the one thing that was always pressed onto us from up high, was listen to complaints, because they worked out that only 1 in 10 people actually complain - the UK being the stiff upper lip place that it is, not wanting to cause / to have hassle etc. So I say complain - complain your bottom off, be fair, but complain! You have nothing to lose, everything to gain.

Cheers, Nag.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
I had the white chalk marks on mine, but a rub and a little hand soap soon had them removed. Mine also had a very minor snag on the mozi-mesh, however I have NEVER bought any type of mozi mesh without there being a little snag somewhere and to be honest the way mozi's see and fly you'd have to be very unlucky to get one through that particular area.

The tabs are utterly unforgiveable though, it's quite an essential part of the design. If it were me, I'd ring DD direct, no matter that a third party is involved, cite the long wait and the lack of faith in the original seller, I'm sure they'd replace without issue.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Yes maybe it is but considering I had to wait for well over a month to actually get this hammock(not DDs' fault) the 3rd party supplier would need me to send it back to them who would in turn send it back to DD who would then contact me and say "sorry- it must of slipped through quality control" they would then send one back to the 3rd party company who would eventually send it back to me. Eventually I would end up out of pocket somewhere along the line and felt that it would be best all round to fix it myself.

Ahhh ok. I thought you had got it direct from DD. If it had been me I would have contacted DD direct before sorting the problems myself (I'm useless at sewing! :rolleyes: :D ) they seem like a good bunch and may very well have sent you a new one direct circumventing the 3rd party who caused the hold up, especially if you had told them that the 3rd party company had flogged you a 2007 model advertised as a 2008 model.

with respect BM I speak as I find and found shoddy work.
There would be no gain for me to contact DD direct now its been fixed. I feel it would appear that I want some kind of compensation for my efforts when I don't.:)
The net damage is excusable but the tabs were quite visibly hanging out.
Which leads me to think this hammock was not even checked at QC

Bodge:)

A distinct possibility and fair enough. It was Stiks who had the problem (I think he was the only one out of group buy) - see here - he too remedied it himself by doubling up on the stitching. I don't know if he contacted DD to tell them, so if you haven't and he hasn't then DD maybe unaware that this is a problem? If you drop DD a line maybe we could persuade them to double up on the stitching for all future hammocks and stop this problem outright :eek: :D ?

Either way I hope you put the (modified!) hammock to good use and if there are any other problem then post about them. Maybe you could have have a go at one ore two of Mick Millers modifications (maybe we should call it the "the DD Hammock 3M") see here.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
and do
and am sorry that you feel I have gone over the top with my post.

Bodge

Na, I did a bit.
You had the misfortune to remind me of a couple of customers I had lately, who actually thought that everything had to be perfect and for free and who took great offense when I asked them to wash the products they where to return for a reclamation.
I have a DD, had to improve it for myself by reducing the long sides with a little bit whipping.
I use it and quite like it.

I had the white chalk marks on mine, but a rub and a little hand soap soon had them removed. Mine also had a very minor snag on the mozi-mesh, however I have NEVER bought any type of mozi mesh without there being a little snag somewhere and to be honest the way mozi's see and fly you'd have to be very unlucky to get one through that particular area.

The tabs are utterly unforgiveable though, it's quite an essential part of the design. If it were me, I'd ring DD direct, no matter that a third party is involved, cite the long wait and the lack of faith in the original seller, I'm sure they'd replace without issue.

Thanks for posting
The trouble is now Mick that it doesn't need replacing as I have done the necessery work.
If I was not prepared to fix this myself I would of returned the item immediately.
:)

as far as I am concerned the matter is closed(supplier wise) and I only posted my findings here to share my experience of my Travel Hammock with other forum members. All my facts are correct, I believe, and I dont feel I have done anything wrong with posting my true feelings towards this product. I also don't think I am wrong to start this thread or guilty of "generalising"

As I considered the matter over with(supplier wise) I felt there was no point in contacting DD or the 3rd party supplier as I won't be sending the hammock back unless another problem arises.

I really want to use this hammock in the next few weeks at meets and cub camp etc.and although was miffed at having to fix this myself I would of been mega miffed at waiting for what could be weeks to get a replacment.

The chalk marks and hole in the mozzy net dont concern me as I said earlier I think.
But I felt they needed to be mentioned to complete the findings.

Thankyou all for your positive and negitive comments.

Bodge

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Thanks for posting
The trouble is now Mick that it doesn't need replacing as I have done the necessery work.
If I was not prepared to fix this myself I would of returned the item immediately.
:)

as far as I am concerned the matter is closed(supplier wise) and I only posted my findings here to share my experience of my Travel Hammock with other forum members. All my facts are correct, I believe, and I dont feel I have done anything wrong with posting my true feelings towards this product. I also don't think I am wrong to start this thread or guilty of "generalising"

As I considered the matter over with(supplier wise) I felt there was no point in contacting DD or the 3rd party supplier as I won't be sending the hammock back unless another problem arises.

I really want to use this hammock in the next few weeks at meets and cub camp etc.and although was miffed at having to fix this myself I would of been mega miffed at waiting for what could be weeks to get a replacment.

The chalk marks and hole in the mozzy net dont concern me as I said earlier I think.
But I felt they needed to be mentioned to complete the findings.

Thankyou all for your positive and negitive comments.

Bodge

Just my 2 pence worth but I still think you should email DD to warn them about the problem as they may be unaware that this is happening. Buy doing so you will hopefully stop this happening in the future and prevent someone else being disappointed with their new purchase. Tell them that you don't want a new hammock etc but I'm sure they would appreciate the feedback :) anyway.

From the sounds of things it was the 3rd party seller who created the supply problems rather than DD. If memory serves me right my DD hammock arrived within a few days and that was via the group buy.

Please don't feel I'm getting at your for posting your findings. You found a problem and warned others - that's great :D there can never be too much info about these things and that's the reason we have the kit forum! Its just that you haven't warned DD so they don't have a chance to rectify the problem. If they are told about the problem but continue to supply shoddy hammocks then its a real issue and their sales will drop but at least we warned them :D and gave them a chance to improve.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I had a problem with the zip on a previous DD product. They asked me to photograph it and email the pic and sent another one out even before I sent it back.

My dealings with DD is that they are pretty straight and will take on board feedback. If there's a recurring problem they will always try to fix it.

Pablo.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, not sure why the bun fight was necessary. A concise report Bodge, maybe you should contact DD but that is entirely up to you. I know that if I bought one now, to inspect it thoroughly when it arrived, taking in to account the problems you have highlighted. That is what you have done by posting your findings and I think that should be a welcome thing. If somebody got a DD hammock in two weeks time and a bunch of folk all chimed in and said yeah that happened to me too, then I know I would be madder at the people who didn't say anything!

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Well, not sure why the bun fight was necessary. A concise report Bodge, maybe you should contact DD but that is entirely up to you. I know that if I bought one now, to inspect it thoroughly when it arrived, taking in to account the problems you have highlighted. That is what you have done by posting your findings and I think that should be a welcome thing.

Most definitely!

If somebody got a DD hammock in two weeks time and a bunch of folk all chimed in and said yeah that happened to me too, then I know I would be madder at the people who didn't say anything!

Indeed - and even madderererer :)o ) if they hadn't told DD there was a problem ;) which could have been resolved before the other folk got their hammocks :D !

Most definitely!

Indeed - and even madderererer :)o ) if they hadn't told DD there was a problem ;) which could have been resolved before the other folk got their hammocks :D !

I can spot a hint from a mile off you know:D

I will drop DD an email to bring them up to speed. It will have to be next week though as I'm off to do some multi drop agency work in cornwall and surrounding area until the w/end then hopefully should make the midlands meet at the w/end.:)

Bodge

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE