DD Travel Hammock/Bivi - feedback please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Has anyone used this as a bivi without a tarp above it? I am curious to know how waterproof & breathable this is on the ground on its own. (although I would probably use it with a tarp in foul weather, I'd like to make sure it can hold its own, so to speak).

I'm in the market for a new bivi but never having hammocked before I wondered if the hammock/bivi combo might give me an insight to a strange new world as a tree swinger :)

Any comments greatly appreciated.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Not used it without a tarp to be honest, but it held up well as a bivi for me. No water seeped in and with some barrier in the mat space; took the chill out of the ground.

mysetup4.jpg

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hey bigfoot, it's not so much an issue with our wild climate but having the hammock material waterproof means it's not breathable which can be a pretty big negative, atleast for me. I've not tried out the DD bivi hammock but from the reviews I've seen people generally recommend the frontline (which I do have) instead. If I were to go to ground I believe I'd just set up either over the DD tarp (1/3 on the ground, pegged down, with the other 2/3 over) to act as a ground sheet, or with my poncho beneath.

Either way can't go wrong with a DD, pretty damn comfy. Hammocks are addictive things!

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Hi bigfoot, you need Tarp above this hammock/bivi. The upper of the hammock is a mozzie net - so not at all waterproof.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Hi bigfoot, you need Tarp above this hammock/bivi. The upper of the hammock is a mozzie net - so not at all waterproof.

That's just the confirmation I needed, thanks :) I think I will stick with a conventional bivi/tarp combo and perhaps try a hammock next year.

Thanks for the other replies, much appreciated.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Yep, concur with above. I initially bought the travel hammock specifically for the water proof base. I then got a cocoon making it totally redundant. Not only that but (for me) no matter whether it's hot or cold my body vapour makes the underside of my body or bag damp as it cannot breathe. If buying again I would go frontline. I've gone back to using the inferior scout so if anyone wants to swap the travel to use on the deck with the mossie net for a frontline I'd be up for that. It's been used 3 times.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE