Hammock Upgrade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Morning everyone!

I currently have a DD frontline as my go to hammock set up and have had for years, I'm trying to decide if its worth upgrading! I'd love a warbonnet blackbird because I like the look of the shelf and the weight and diagonal lay etc but i can't justify paying that much money with all the import duty etc. So the next best option would be the hennessey asym zip (i think?) I don't know anybody that has one so dont have the opportunity to try one out before buying to see if I like it so I was hoping you lovely people would be able to convince me (with a few good reasons) why it's worth upgrading? Id probably opt for hex cut tarp as well since lets face it, how often does it not rain in the uk so the additional dry space would be useful. Or id just carry on using my DD 3x3.

I don't really have oppprtunity to get along to any of the meets as well to try out someone else's "rig" unfortunately, I understand that would've probably been the best solution but its not really an option.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
You should be able to achieve a diagonal lay in your DD hammock too, you know. ;)

I've got the HH Explorer and my husband has one of the DD Frontline ones. On paper we should probably be better off if we swapped, but I love mine and he likes his better. So there's definitely a bit of personal preference involved.

There's nothing wrong with your DD hammock, but if you like the sound of the features of the Blackbird then there's nothing wrong in buying another one and have two. Just have a think about what you like on the DD one and make sure you can live without it if it's not on the BB.

Just don't get rid off your DD unless you really have to. It's always good to have a simpler one or as a spare when you want to bring someone along.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
You should be able to achieve a diagonal lay in your DD hammock too, you know. ;)

I've got the HH Explorer and my husband has one of the DD Frontline ones. On paper we should probably be better off if we swapped, but I love mine and he likes his better. So there's definitely a bit of personal preference involved.

There's nothing wrong with your DD hammock, but if you like the sound of the features of the Blackbird then there's nothing wrong in buying another one and have two. Just have a think about what you like on the DD one and make sure you can live without it if it's not on the BB.

Just don't get rid off your DD unless you really have to. It's always good to have a simpler one or as a spare when you want to bring someone along.

Well i can kind of get a diagonal lay, but im 6ft2 so its a bit tight. Also, from all the videos everybody suggests you can get a perfectly flat lay on true "diagonal lay" hammocks like the hennessey...now is that really true? So flat you can lie on your front etc?

The big attraction for me is the weight saving and more importantly the bulk in the bag, ive read the HH are about half the bulk in a rucksack as a DD frontline.

Id love a WBBB but again, the customs charges make it way too expensive!

Having tried both the DD and HH what would you recommend and why?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The rule of thumb that I was always told was the cloth has to be at least as wide as your outstretched arms to get a flat lay. presumably that assumes your arm length is in proportion to your height. I know I can get a pretty decent flat lay in my 'UK Hammocks' hammock and that is a little wider than my outstretched arms.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
The rule of thumb that I was always told was the cloth has to be at least as wide as your outstretched arms to get a flat lay. presumably that assumes your arm length is in proportion to your height. I know I can get a pretty decent flat lay in my 'UK Hammocks' hammock and that is a little wider than my outstretched arms.
Oh, I'd never heard that before. Good to know!

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Well i can kind of get a diagonal lay, but im 6ft2 so its a bit tight. Also, from all the videos everybody suggests you can get a perfectly flat lay on true "diagonal lay" hammocks like the hennessey...now is that really true? So flat you can lie on your front etc?

The big attraction for me is the weight saving and more importantly the bulk in the bag, ive read the HH are about half the bulk in a rucksack as a DD frontline.

Id love a WBBB but again, the customs charges make it way too expensive!

Having tried both the DD and HH what would you recommend and why?
Fair enough.

I'm short for the HH (5'7.5") so I have loads of room in it, almost too much. I am a side sleeper and that's very comfortable in my HH. If you lie on your back you can get a calf ridge but just have a read online for ways to solve that. I don't know how flat it actually is but it certainly feels flat if you get the diagonal right.

The HH is solidly built and feels very secure. I love the tie-outs and the enclosed but not claustrophobic feeling you get when inside. It's like your own personal nest. :)

I would *strongly* recommend the Hex fly as the little one needs to be pitched just so to keep the rain off. I suspect that the little one works really well with the bottom entry version, but with the side zip it just gets awkward if you have it in terrible weather mode.

One issue is getting an underquilt to stay on. I've got a DD underquilt but it's a bit off a faff to get it to stay in place on the HH. But I don't have the funds to buy one made for the HH and it works well enough.

The HH doesn't have a double bottom, so if you have a sleeping mat inside and move a lot in your sleep then it does move. I never got the bungy cord to work but there's so much space you can move around a lot and just shove it in place.

DH finds mine very comfy and roomy, so it works for talker people too, although he does prefer his DD anyway.

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
I have several hammocks and the nearest I have found to a truly flat lay is the Amok. I can get very comfortable in the DD or easy hammock but the only one I can sleep in any position is the Amok. That said although I use them all at different times my current favourite is the easy hammock xl with the integral underquilt. If you wanted to look I have attached links

.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw2YZ7mpGw-KNwDE3C_R7HJN

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAFegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw34ho5xdVeyXjcRjplXyQlP

There is a very good review of the easy hammock on this forum, not sure If there is one for the Amok. But if you search youtube for a guy called shug he has posted a review.

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have several hammocks and the nearest I have found to a truly flat lay is the Amok. I can get very comfortable in the DD or easy hammock but the only one I can sleep in any position is the Amok. That said although I use them all at different times my current favourite is the easy hammock xl with the integral underquilt. If you wanted to look I have attached links

.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw2YZ7mpGw-KNwDE3C_R7HJN

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAFegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw34ho5xdVeyXjcRjplXyQlP

There is a very good review of the easy hammock on this forum, not sure If there is one for the Amok. But if you search youtube for a guy called shug he has posted a review.

They look interesting. If nothing else just te view you get from them. Availability seems patchy and does price. I wonder how a standard tarp works with one. Their tarp seems a bit Snug to say the least...

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
They look interesting. If nothing else just te view you get from them. Availability seems patchy and does price. I wonder how a standard tarp works with one. Their tarp seems a bit Snug to say the least...
I use a DD XL tarp with all my hammocks, I like the extra coverage, and it gives me room for a chair and I can fold in the ends if the weather is really bad.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE