DD tarps in strong wind query

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Has anyone has any experience with using DD brand tarps in high wind and how well the tarp stood up against the wind?

I've recently ordered a 4x4 multicam DD tarp and was wondering whether anyone had any tips / mods to make it last longer and be stronger against wind?

I've read that using bungee cord helps - has anyone used this and did it work?

Many thanks.

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Hi mate,

Yeah bungee cords act as a sort of suspension system, which which will allow the tarp to move in the wind rather than having to take the stress of the wind movement and potentially ripping.

I would have my tarp as low profile and as low to the ground as possible in the wind, to make it more streamlined and to try and keep out the sideways rain too!

There are also many tarp configurations that are better suited to windy conditions too, YouTube is a good source if info for this, plenty of good videos on the subject.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum 🖒

Thanks,
Allan

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
I have added a loop of shock cord to all my guylines (there's plenty of how-to's on the internet) and it makes a big difference in removing shock loading in high winds and also keeps the tarp tight when it stretches when wet. Well worth doing :)

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I've used the DD in very strong winds with no issues. The thing with any tarp in the wind is that it's the flapping that does the damage. If there's any slack on the lines, the corners will flap and put a sudden shock load on the attachment points. Bungee is a good way of ensuring that shock loads stay low, but you'll also need to check the lines periodically and adjust for proper tension.

In very strong winds I usually peg the windward side directly to the ground.

As Allan mentions there are more enclosed setups that turn the tarp into something more like a tent - like this for example. I've found them less than ideal in windy conditions. The lack of mid-panel guy points is a problem, and the back and sides tend to bow inwards dramatically. This can be offset to some extent using walking poles and sticks internally. In any case, experiment!

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I have added a loop of shock cord to all my guylines (there's plenty of how-to's on the internet) and it makes a big difference in removing shock loading in high winds and also keeps the tarp tight when it stretches when wet. Well worth doing :)

This is what I do also, on DD and other tarps, permanently fitted, together with the other advice on pitching low or to the ground if heavy weather expected.

Thanks very much for your replies. Sounds like bungee cord is a good idea - I'll experiment different lengths and loops in different places with paracord to see which gives a taught enough tarp but still has give in it for when wind blows.

Good point on having it low to the ground - I didn't think of that. I'll try some different configurations.

I just watched one video on YouTube of a DD tarp that ripped but it happened because one of the pegs came loose and flapped and hit the tarp. I guess I'll make double sure the pegs are in tight.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Just to clarify, the shock cord loops on the tie outs aren't the heavy, thick normal bungee cord, they are elastic shock cord around 2mm thick, well for me anyway, and the guy lines tied to those.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I've always used bungee's to set a basha or tarp up. Double looped and ties to about a metre long, with knots along the length of it, makes setting them up take seconds and if you need to get it down in a hurry your not untying knots and loosing bits etc..

Never had a problem with wind and i would say that if it is very windy you should be careful about any dead fall that might happen during the night.

Tonyuk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE