DD Hammock travel/bivi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Widgy grub

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2012
Lincolnshire
Hi there ,
I'm new to the hammock game,
Made a purchase of the travel hammock / bivi, I had my first night out this weekend, it went better than I expected and was quit a comfy night..... One thing I noticed was there was quite allot of condensation in the hammock, by no means running about but enough to make my sleeping bag damp.
Is this the norm or am I doing something wrong?
Didn't have a basha up as it was a lovely eve, mozzy net was fully closed.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Condensation isn't unusual, especially with that hammock. It varies with materials, temperatures, insulation and the sleeper. I tend to have condensation problems as I sweat a lot. I generally use a breathable bivvy bag to keep my sleeping bag dry.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
No problems with mine. If it's hot I line it with a blanket , if it's cold I use pieces of sheepskin coats sewn together for my mat.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I'm also a first time hammocker and have same version as you but dont remember any condensation so I would suppose it depends on various factors like location/temp/bag/person etc.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The Travel is not for everyone and can cause condensation to form. Personally, I don't find the non-breathable fabric to be a problem and never have really, but do get it with some combinations of insulation.

After hundreds of nights in mine, and other hammocks that I've used with a vapour barrier (vapour barrier= a non breathable lining to halt evaporative cooling and wicking) I've noticed some things that help stop the condensation;

A down underquilt stops condensation.
Foam mats and especially reflective layers like space blankets cause lots of condensation.
Getting in a sleeping bag as opposed to using one as a quilt traps the insulation between your body and the hammock meaning the sleeping bag will soak up the condensation and wet out.

IMHO, the Travel has a very limited market in reality. Its big benefit is its a vapour barrier, meaning its warmer than a breathable sleep system if you stay dry. Useful for cold conditions but the travel is sold under the "Bivi", "bug Bivi" banner which appeals to many more people. Sleeping on the ground in a Travel leaves the bottom layer touching the ground which can damage the hammock. For this reason, others and myself take a groundsheet to protect the bottom, and its usually a plastic sheet which is waterproof anyway. This kind of negates the need for a waterproof base and the breathable DD Frontline would work equally well in this way.

In short, keep as little sandwiched between yourself and the hammock as possible and use an underquilt if possible. This way, the condensation won't be a problem and will dry out very quickly.

Widgy grub

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2012
Lincolnshire
Many thanks to you all, I've been a ground sleeper for a while this why I opted for the travel, so as to still have the option with a built in insect net !!
Didn't cross my mind about condensation, although my sleeping bag gets wet in my breathable bivi bag anyway ... So condensation may be something I have to live with.... If I was looking for 5 star accom I suppose I'd be in a hammock in th Maldives !!
Thanks again all

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE