DD Bergen Rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
So what do you all think?

50L £42, looks like you get a response pack as one of the pockets to boot.

ImageProxy.mvc

Last edited:

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Looks nice but lacks a few things you'll find on other rucksacks/bergens. A single ice-axe loop? really? I thought the whole idea of ice-axes is that you used them in pairs? I know it's more for a bivvy pole but some might see it and not make that connection. No PLCE compatibility either, no zips or buckles that i can see, so again a bit limiting.

They may want to fix the graphic. 5L (35L + 15L), So it's actually a TARDIS then? :rolleyes:

Nice idea but i can't help but think they missed more than a few tricks here.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Impossible to say without looking at the stitching, zips, fabric etc. It may be a diamond, or a cheapo Chinese jobby that will be in tatters after a year or two of hard use. If you can afford it I'd suggest Karrimor SF - lasts for ten years of pounding or a lifetime of moderate use.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Its all Personal Choice.. I quite like the look of it.... and a snigle Loop for an ice axe... do many of the ice axe loops really get used by loads of people na I doubt it I have used one for my axe tho... to be honest looks like a good place to put the axe, the head is hidden under the removable pack in a way, put a sock over the helve and know one would know.....

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Impossible to say without looking at the stitching, zips, fabric etc. It may be a diamond, or a cheapo Chinese jobby that will be in tatters after a year or two of hard use. If you can afford it I'd suggest Karrimor SF - lasts for ten years of pounding or a lifetime of moderate use.

DD have a good rep for their build quality so maybe ok on that front. I have enough packs to last several lifetimes already but I thought this looked quite good given the price, my other half would kill me if I bought another rucksack!

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Looks like the Airjet that they used to sell. It's just been upgraded.
I have the Airjet and the quality is superb. It's much better than my new Snugpak 100L Bergen by far!

A great deal for a mere £12 extra on the old one;
DD.jpg

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
sorry for bringing this topic back up but I've bought the pack and I'm quite pleased with what I got for the money. It is easily modifiable, quite tough, comfortable to use and waterproof. I uploaded a vid of me packing up the bag, I think it will give a good idea to people about its capability of holding a weekend bushcraft kit.

[video=youtube;bhVpkRAGJWQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhVpkRAGJWQ[/video]

Jun 20, 2015
London
Hi all,
I have had one of these for the last 8 months. Here is my lowdown.

Overall durability: poor
- top zip tore off under a little bit of load
- stitching quality is generally poor, I have restitched maybe 15% of the bag!

Usability: fair
- being able configure the bag is great
- the 'action pack' is neat & comes in handy for packing essentials
- ZIPS ARE A PAIN IN THE bottom TO OPEN & CLOSE! The stiffness of the rain protection over the zips causes much swearing especially with cold fingers.

Comfort: Ouch
- the shoulder straps are padded to short, anyone with a mid-long back length will be carrying their pack ON their shoulders not their hips
- the waist strap is next to useless with any type of load & suffers from the shoulder straps being too short to make it useful
- over the few long trips I have made this bag has caused much discomfort

I have been trying out a few bags recently and an alternative I have found that is both comfy for long hikes/trips & packs a punch when it comes to durability is the Fjallraven Abisko 65, BUT, unfortunately it comes at a hefty price!

Aug 6, 2015
Scotland
They're not worth it to be honest. I had one and they are cheaply made, DD are great at tarps and hammocks but the bergen is definitely a no no. Much better getting an army surplus pack for the same money mate.

So what do you all think?

50L £42, looks like you get a response pack as one of the pockets to boot.

ImageProxy.mvc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE