DD 3x3 tarp doors.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I have just made some doors for my DD tarp out of ripstop Nylon. This should stop any windblown rain from getting me wet in my hammock, and when I'm on the ground.

I ordered 3 metres 1.1 oz/sq yd parachute fabric from fabrics n stuff for £1.25 metre, for the purpose.

As it was, pitched on Leki poles.
04092010053.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Measuring up.
04092010054.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I cut out a paper pattern.
04092010059.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
......and cut the fabric.
04092010061b.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I sewed a double hem all round, and stiched the door edges to the tarp.
07092010062.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
The doors have an overlap to make a reasonable seal in windy weather.
07092010063.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Loads of dry room. (don't know why this pic came out sideways!)
07092010064.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I sewed some loops from some old toe straps, and stitched the loops onto larger 25mm nylon webbing for re-inforcement at the tie-out points. I washed the doors with Nikwax TX direct for some water resistance. I'm really happy with how they came out.
Bring on the horizontal rain!

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I think you'll find that's what's commonly known as 'a tent'.
And surely it would have been much easier to have bought one in the first place.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
good idea, but why not just rig it lower?
Thanks Loenja. This is about the minimum height for me to use with a hammock. I like headroom too, I have a bad back and bum crawling in and out of low tarps and tents does nothing to help it. I also find the rain blows in, no matter how low I pitch it.

How much of a pain is the material to sew? I've had a similar idea myself for my DD tarp. Good job
Thanks Nat. Its not too bad to be honest, plenty of pins seems to do the trick. The hardest part was sewing the doors to the tarp.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I like it Teepee, I just tend to tie out from two inner points and take the ends down and across. Works quite well to be honest

tarpwithdoors-1.png

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Unless you are extremely tall (ie. over about 6'6") you don't need tarp 'doors' when you use a 3m square tarp on the ground. It is possible to rig the tarp to provide total enclosure and about a metre of headroom.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Unless you are extremely tall (ie. over about 6'6") you don't need tarp 'doors' when you use a 3m square tarp on the ground. It is possible to rig the tarp to provide total enclosure and about a metre of headroom.

Even with a hammock Ian ?

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
i prefer the risk , the small risk of a little blown in rain,

reminds us why were out there in the 1st place,

the doors are done really well, and it gives the option of an enclosure , but i cant help thinking if i got that far i may as well be in a tent.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
i prefer the risk , the small risk of a little blown in rain,

reminds us why were out there in the 1st place,

Not much fun when the weather swings round from a different direction in the night and your nice and expensive down sleeping bag and underblanket get a soaking. Usually you can get enough coverage just by hanging the tarp and hammock right to start with, but there are times when I've been glad to have the extra protection from horizontal rain and 40mph winds.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE