Day Walking - Cold and Wet Gear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

thehomeofDob

Jun 14, 2010
Dublin, Ire
Hey guys,

I've been lurking here for quite a while, first time posting.

I've recently started day walking (and night walking for that matter) once or twice a week with a fairly interesting member of the opposite sex. We've been blessed with good weather most times over the last month, with only one washout rain shower on the walk down from a local hill. I'd like to keep this up as I'm really enjoying finally having someone to go walking/hiking with however I'm not quite kitted out for the cold/wet (despite living in Ireland!).

My clothing load-out a the moment is a pair of CragHopper Kiwi's (multiple pairs), goretex gaiters, some lidl-special long sleeve wicking top, lidl hiking shoes, a TK MAXX waterproof jacket that does an all right job in light drizzle, topped off with a €10 poncho out of Army Bargains. This has done me fine the 6-7 times I've been out camping however it won't do once winter hits and we're out in the driving rain.

I'm looking to completely overhaul everything (bar the Craghoppers, 'cause I love them), as cost effectively as I can, buying quality when needed, and cheap and cheerful when possible. Do you guys have any suggestions? Help a single guy out... hiking/day walking is a fantastically cheap "date" ! :cool:

Regards,
Daniel

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
You actually sound pretty well equipped. For colder weather just add a warm layer or so (a wool jumper or a fleece), some gloves and a warm hat, and some thicker trousers. More layers equals warmth. A windpoof layer is a real benefit if you can get one.

After that it is all about the waterproofs, and you can get perfectly respectable waterproofs pretty much off the shelf in most high streets nowadays. Waterproof trousers are an extra layer that will add warmth as well as dry, and if you can get some with zips on the legs they are a lot easier to put on over boots. Don't forget that a waterproof jacket sheds water downwards, onto your legs. Breathability costs more, but isn't essential.

As for footwear, well that depends on the terrain and the distance being travelled, but for shorter strolls don't overlook the good old wellington boot. It will keep you dry.

thehomeofDob

Jun 14, 2010
Dublin, Ire
Thanks for your quick responses so far guys. :)
On the subject of footwear, the Lidl shoes are not waterproof, but overall are quite decent in the summer months. Terrain will be a mix of easy woodland trails, and low/medium gradient "mountains" (we don't really have mountains over here). Most walks are 2-3 hours tops, not including a brew stop along the way.

Sounds like a motel might be more ....suitable:)

Thanks Andy, that gave me a chuckle.

Reaps72

Forager
Jul 20, 2011
West Yorkshire
My advice would be buy as expensive a jacket as you can afford, you tend to get what you pay for when it comes to waterproofs etc.

Try & stick to the better known brands & go with either, gore-tex, eVent, pertex or ventile fabrics.
Having said all that there are some bargains to be found especially as a budgeteer, which I consider my self to be!

I use a Rab Latok alpine shell, Regatta soft-shell fleece, Trekmates Bamboo base-layer, Craghoppers kiwi pants & Regatta xcert shell trousers.
The only expensive item imho was the Rab, but it is the best jacket I have owned, I get cheaper over trousers as they get wrecked quicker so I replace them more often!

The important thing to remember is layering in winter, if it's real cold I add a mid-layer North Face fleece!

It's easy to keep warm but staying dry is where the money should go!

I tend to shop at go-outdoors & TK Maxx, but Paramo has a seconds shop on ebay, amazon has good deals & look on here people are always flogging excess kit!

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Can't really help you with suggestions on bad weather clothing other than show you my dog walking set up........................Not really suitable for courting though ;)

GRRR024.jpg

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Outdoor clothing is daunting but don't let that put you off. Others are right about waterproof- pay as much as you can, look at the hydrostatic ratings-10-15,000mm of h2o is poor and will leak in creases etc. I use a berghaus at around 40,000mm which hasnt leaked- rab also offer some good ones in event- arguable, but i feel more breathable then gore tex.

Now is an expensive time to be buying a new waterproof- unless you can still find sale items, much stock is new and full price.
In terms of breathability-if you sweat lots then pit zips are vital. I especially like them for use on my bike aswell was walking.

The photon mentioned earlier is a good choice- I have the similar version by rab (cant recal model) but its insulated with prima-loft: retains 99% of heat even when soaked.
Pertex as a material is only shower resistant- no taped seams so I like a waterproof shell to go over.
If you buy anything get a wool base layer, fleece top, and waterproof jacket with a good "hydrostatic head" (25,000mm+) if you have money left then buy an insulated belay jacket like the photon but in warmer weather they can be too hot, but great for cold rainy, dark days :)

Hope this helps
Troutman

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
The trick with walking in the rain, is to having the right under garments on.

It's easy to see the rain and put too many layers on, thinking it'll be colder than it actually is.
What happens then is you end up sweating A LOT which is nearly as bad as not having a waterproof on.

It does take some time and experience, but eventually you tend to find a level of layers under your waterproof that works for the majority of the walk.
BUT i still slow down on some uphill sections if i feel myself starting to sweat too much.

It's a nightmare having to stop, take the rucksack off your back, remove your waterproof jacket, remove a layer, put the layer in your rucksack, put your waterproof jacket back on, then put your rucksack back on.
So many simply don't bother and just keep on walking while overheating then blame their new fangled jacket.

Generally the more money you pay the more moisture the jacket expels, obviously many jackets are heavily discounted so that's not always the case, but usually a Goretex or eVent jacket will breath well for the majority of conditions.

I would advise to try on different jackets first though, as there are many different cuts and jacket styles depending on the activity they're aimed towards.
i.e. a cycling waterproof jacket will work fine for hiking, but it's cut to have longer arms and longer back to work in the position a cyclist will mainly sit in.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Can't really help you with suggestions on bad weather clothing other than show you my dog walking set up........................Not really suitable for courting though ;)

GRRR024.jpg

Never can tell though. If his lady's the type that enjoys dog walking and the outdoors, that might well be the type image that she's seeking.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire

GRRR024.jpg

Looks like me walking my dogs, does keep you warm & dry though, not sure if it attracts the opposite sex though.

Rob

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
For shoes, I would recommend the same thing that most Finns wear in Finnish wet and cold weather in September and October; rubber boots. Tests by Finnish Defence Forces and other Finns have proved, at least to me, that no leather or Gore-Tex can substain its waterproofness for hundreds of kilometers in taiga. They are available in different colours, lengths and properties. Based on a test on a Finnish magazine Suomen Luonto 4/2012, I would recommend checking out manufacturers Nokian, Tretorn and Le Chameau.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Oh dear.... I'm not sure if those "that's me's " are reassuring or disheartening......... There was me thinking I was the only wally out there :D

That's a lead by the way, not a ball thrower :p.....

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Oh dear.... I'm not sure if those "that's me's " are reassuring or disheartening......... There was me thinking I was the only wally out there :D

That's a lead by the way, not a ball thrower :p.....

WALLY ?, we are gentlemen of discerning taste, who wear classic style clothing.

Rob

thehomeofDob

Jun 14, 2010
Dublin, Ire
I really appreciate the comments so far guys. It's been bucketing rain now for the past two days with no sign of it stopping. I think for now I need to sort out a pair of warm, waterproof boots, and a genuinely waterproof jacket. On the subject of jackets, are there those of you who would prefer a poncho over a waterproof shell?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE