Day in the woods - pic heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
The boys and i had a well deserved break in the woods today, we had a few things we wanted to do and time was limited.

Walking into the woods from where we park the car and it is still evident that a lot of surface water is around

DSCF9336.jpg

we are in

DSCF9337.jpg

boys ready for the off now we are in the woods

DSCF9339.jpg

we have never noticed this tree before

DSCF9341.jpg

time to get a fire going, in keeping with our philosophy, we take it in turns to light the fire and by using different methods, that way all three of us get to practice and we are all versed in different methods, today it fell to eldest and pjcb's and a ferro rod

His prep, bearing in mind it's cold and damp, two good sized bundles of match thick twigs

DSCF9345.jpg

the beginnings of his pile of pencil thick and slightly thicker kindling

DSCF9346.jpg

pile of split hazel and oak for his initial fuel

DSCF9347.jpg

off he goes, note the timber on the ground to keep his tinder off the cold, wet ground

DSCF9351.jpg

DSCF9352.jpg

DSCF9355.jpg

and away it goes

DSCF9358.jpg

DSCF9361.jpg

at 13 years old he's a better woodsman than some i know who can preach a good a fire but never actually get round to doing it, eldest and youngest would run rings round some of the googleshrafters on the net and not even break a sweat doing it, i know im biased, but it's also true.

time for a brew, yeah, i know we have a fire going, but that is reserved for something else

DSCF9364.jpg

BACON

DSCF9386.jpg

DSCF9390.jpg

YUM YUM YUM

DSCF9396.jpg

Hazel stump that's been attacked by the woodpeckers, we saw a Greater Spotted and heard a Green pecker today.

DSCF9398.jpg

obligatory sharps shot, GB Wildlife Hatchet

DSCF9382.jpg

eldest making something

DSCF9400.jpg

and obviously trying to work something out

DSCF9403.jpg

ahh, that's got it

DSCF9404.jpg

whilst youngest goes tree climbing

DSCF9401.jpg

wood piles, three of five we have up there.

DSCF9406.jpg

time to pack up and leave now unfortunately, my Sabre 45 loaded up with green wood for my wood pile at home

DSCF9410.jpg

uh oh, what's he seen now?

DSCF9417.jpg

time to leave

DSCF9419.jpg

site of the fire, the only way to leave a fire site, as if nobody has ever been there.

DSCF9421.jpg

eldest laying down on the job, truth his he went head over heels when he got his foot stuck on a root, oh his pack is also loaded down woth green wood for carving as well

DSCF9422.jpg

younger brother to the rescue

DSCF9424.jpg

back to the car

DSCF9430.jpg

and that as they say was that for another day.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great post mate, looks a great day out in a lovely piece of woodland.

The boys aren't half shooting up these days.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Great post mate, looks a great day out in a lovely piece of woodland.

The boys aren't half shooting up these days.

That they are, eldest is now nicking my shirts - eek, what's worrying though is he is absolutely solid, hardly an ounce of fat on him these days, well apart from a bit of puppy fat, but that is dropping off,

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers mate, the boys love it up there, we are pretty lucky as it's a aprivate woodland that we have more or less free reign to do as we like in, within reason of course.

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Great pictures kepis of what looked like a cracking day out with your boys, i have tried and tried to get out more with my 16 yr old son, but he found Xbox live the other year and there is no chance of a day out in the woods with him. Cheers and thanks for sharing.

Darren

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Great pictures kepis of what looked like a cracking day out with your boys, i have tried and tried to get out more with my 16 yr old son, but he found Xbox live the other year and there is no chance of a day out in the woods with him. Cheers and thanks for sharing.

Darren

you see I'm the total reverse, I'm 17 and would love nothing more than to go out every weekend with my dad and get in the woods...unfortunately he doesn't see the appeal in leaving his comfy sofa with his tv and a fridge full of beer :lmao: ever since getting rid of the speed boat we had when I was younger (about 7) dont think we've been camping (properly)

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
I haftoo say , that it is a pleasure to see you taking your boys out, I work with kids and 99.9 % of them at age 10 cant even tie their own shoe laces , after taking the bubble rap off.
regards

Franc

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers guys, we get out quite a bit, beit for a day in the woods or as we did on Boxing day, just a shport 3-4 mile bimble to work off some of the excesses, eldest sometimes instead of going to his Nan's by walking the short route round the street, will take the 3 mile over the top of the hill route

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE