Day Hike - Pic heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I was going to do a fifteen mile walk today, but in the end i only did one of just under ten, as the weather later in the day was supposed to be awful, torrential rain and strong winds, ok i could have braved it, but didnt see the point as i wanted to enjoy the walk for what it was.

Off we go, the beginning of the hike

Dscn5333.jpg

One of my objectives for the day was to get to the Hill Fort in the distance of this picture

Dscn5336.jpg

It was quite difficult to walk past my favourite sit tree :wink:

Dscn5337.jpg

Objective in sight.

Dscn5338.jpg

Saw this Deer all on it's lonesome in the stubble field, stood there for a few minutes just watching it, or was it watching me?

Dscn5342.jpg

Getting nearer to my objective

Dscn5347.jpg

This gives an indication as to how steep some of the hills around here are, thankfully i was going down this one

Dscn5348.jpg

View looking up the same hill

Dscn5350.jpg

Said Hello to some of the locals

Dscn5352.jpg

Objective getting nearer

Dscn5354.jpg

Looking back to where i had come from, which was the otherside of the large hill in the distance

Dscn5356.jpg

Looking North

Dscn5360.jpg

Old earthworks, not sure how old, but more than likely prehistoric considering the whole area is dotted with earth works predating the Iron Age

Dscn5361.jpg

Objective reached, this was the Northern most point of my route today

Dscn5362.jpg

Heading back south

Dscn5364.jpg

Glorious countryside

Dscn5369.jpg

Dscn5370.jpg

Farm nestled in the valley bottom, taken from the point where i stopped for 15 minutes for a drink & a bite to eat.

Dscn5375.jpg

Next objective in sight, im aiming for the trees on top of the hill in the distance, this would be the highest point on my route at 100m above sea level

Dscn5376.jpg

Came across a nice new sit tree

Dscn5378.jpg

These photo's show just how steep some of the hills really are around here

Dscn5379.jpg

Dscn5380.jpg

Dscn5381.jpg

Objective reached, view out to sea from the highest point on the route

Dscn5382.jpg

Coming down the otherside of the hill, it's steeper than it looks btw

Dscn5383.jpg

On the homeward stretch

Dscn5384.jpg

Dscn5385.jpg

Round the Maize field and im home

Dscn5386.jpg

Now im planning a 15-20 mile h

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Ex mob by any chance? All this talk of "objectives"!

Looks like you had a great time.

SImon

Nope not ex mob, just what i was taught and remember from my navigation training all those years ago on Dartmoor, have always reffered to the way points as objectives.

Whistling 'Le Boudain' indeed:nono::D :D :D

Joe

Need to contact Admin...
Cissbury ring, Chanctonbury, Patching common, Highdown Hill, Long Furlong - this is where I spent all of my childhood weekends (and quite a few days when I was supposed to be at school). A lovely part of the world and I go back to visit whenever I can. Many a night was spent under the stars on top of those hills. There's nothing quite like strolling across the frosty, February downs on a clear night with a full moon, your home on your back and nothing to worry about.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cissbury ring, Chanctonbury, Patching common, Highdown Hill, Long Furlong - this is where I spent all of my childhood weekends (and quite a few days when I was supposed to be at school). A lovely part of the world and I go back to visit whenever I can. Many a night was spent under the stars on top of those hills. There's nothing quite like strolling across the frosty, February downs on a clear night with a full moon, your home on your back and nothing to worry about.

All being well, im going to do Chanctonbury and back on Thursday this week.

Joe

Need to contact Admin...
A couple of years ago I set out to walk the whole of the South Downs way in a weekend, starting at Eastbourne. I managed to get to Steyning bowl by the end of the first day and slept in a hedge but after an early morning trek over Cissbury ring the next day, my battered feet let me down and it became obvious I wouldn't make it to Winchester with my sanity intact.

I'm planning to give it another go this winter but maybe I'll try it in three days and enjoy the scenery a bit more.

Looking forward to seeing the photos of Chanctonbury Ring on Thursday evening.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Get yourself to Yorkshire Kepis, we`ve got proper hills up here

Lovely photos mate

The South downs may only be diddy in height, but they easily make up for that in character... There is so much history up there and legends, myths and tales.. There is a great atmosphere about the downs too... Diss them at your peril....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE