David Bellamy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
I saw David Bellamy in the field next to my favourite stomping ground yesterday :( then they put him on the BBC news last night :( I suppose this means come the weekend I will have hundreds of invaders driving me out of my favourite spots and telling me what I can and cant do. Eating me nuts and berries scaring the wildlife, running me down with mountain bikes, making me put the Jacks on leads, howling kids, litter, and so on . Am I becoming a grumpy old man? Ah I remember the days when you only got people like us and gamekeepers" up the woods" ;)

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
bloodline said:
. Am I becoming a grumpy old man?

No,you are right to be worried. :eek:

Behind the beach at Heacham is a large area of scrub with a few bodies of water which supports a lot of wildlife.Since before the war it was looked after by the local wildfowl club.
Only very few people used it,the fowlers,the odd local walking the dog.
Then it was designated as a country park or some such title,now it is overrun with bloody people,the "wildlife beurocrats" are "improving the habitat" for the "benefit of the wildlife" and have totally phuqued the area. :eek:

Be afraid,be very afraid :(

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
i'm shocked about db, truely! still, i guess you learn something new each day...

as for the situation at Heacham, i'm not suprised. i may be a tad bias, but generaly the shooting comunity does lookafter the wildlife better than most, esp the govenment!

bloodline, your not a grumpy old man, you can just see clearly!

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
Did anyone see that debate between David Bellamy and George Monbiot on the Channel 4 News a couple of months ago. Monbiot basically made Bellamy look like a complete fool. :)

Pappa

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
Bellamy is a fool the article on telly said the farmer doesnt grow crops in the field but lets the flowers grow he didnt mention that the farm has been sold to prevent developement and is not owned by the farmer anymore

F

Fungi

I always was a fan of Mr Bellamy as a kid. Although, he did kind of lose it with his 'Brontosaurus' gig!!!!!!!!
Anyway, had a few run ins with him in North Wales, by Hen Golwyn about 10 years ago. It seems he is very keen to push anything that he is asked to support.... He also seems to carry a lot of clout!!!!
This is often not the best way forward and is at the detriment of the venue that he is supporting........ Not sure if his research is the most thorough......... More like teeth in and chew....lots.......

As, I say though he is a very good guy, he opened up lots, to otherwise misguided folk, or those that didn't care......... Now he just applies his weight and name to causes who ask, or so it seems.......

But be afraid, he is a relic of a celebrity, who exists in a world that loves celebrity, so he is quite influential......

Maybe we should re-educate him and get him on side?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, he used to be a great educator and science populariser. Unfortuntately, he now seems to be for sale to the highest bidder, and I doubt we can outbid BP...

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
On this particular subject, it's definitely Bellamy who's the ****. He was quoting figures that had originated as a typo, then taking them completely out of context, to reach a conclusion that was diametrically opposed to the actual conclusions of the research.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
It's likely to be highly political - do we really want to get into it here? He does have a lot of controversial views on some highly charged topics...

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
gregorach said:
It's likely to be highly political - do we really want to get into it here? He does have a lot of controversial views on some highly charged topics...

True.
We musn't tickle Polly or the Mods will get upset, ;)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Though I am slightly curious I reckon its probably better to let this thread slide away quietly.

I have never been keen on Mr Bellamy, but that was just not liking his mannerisms. It seems that everyone is in agreement about his current choice of politics and going into it more is likely only to become political.

Stuart, have you read Monbiot.com? He may have some points on things, but he likes to say cotroversial things.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I can't think about David Bellamy without recalling Lenny Henry's 'Compost Corner' on Tiswas.

"Well, wook at all this wonderful wegetation....."

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE