Dave Canterbury style full tang knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi everyone, me again (surprise surprise)

I've been fancying a largish full tang carbon steel, wood handled beater of a butcher's knife that's 3-5mm thick - similar to that Dave Canterbury/wildernessoutfitters/selfrelianceoutfitters/PK uses/makes.

I know I know. I spent too much time on YouTube with an injury and want to spend more time looking for a new toy.

The thing is, where on earth can I find one? I scoured all of my usual haunts, Heinnie, etc
Its occured to me I don't actually know many knife sites! And those that have a filter function, don't filter by steel type or tang type.

Also DC's website is US, so you're talking £150 for a knife he designed based on one he found for 2$! :O

Anyway, shoot! Any thoughts welcome. Your effort giving me input is fun to read :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Check out the stuff by Jeff White or just buy a butchers knife like an old hickory or a blank from green river / dexter russel.

The Jeff white stuff is cheap with only low grade walnut handles but they are sharp and well heat treated.

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
Just a thought.... get in touch with Hennies and ask them to get it for you, they've done it for me twice now with stuff from the USA, once from Dave Canterbury's site. When I checked the price they had just converted the $ into £ without gouging me for extra profit, great service.
On a related note both of the purchases are now available on Hennies own website

No connection other than a grateful customer

DiamondAl

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2008
Nederland
Might I suggest a visit to the Sheffield Knives website, and look for the old style kitchen and butcher knives. They seem to have a good range, from an original style Nessmuk to a copy of an old trade knife they call a scalper. The prices are reasonable, and it is a Sheffield company that has been supplying good cutlery to Americans since before the days of Jim Bowie.

What's not to like.

Regards

Alan

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
If you mean what corso posted then I just made one, well have not started the sheath yet, doing the final sanding on the rimu wood handle at the moment, 4 mm O1 tool steel saber grind with a Rockwell of 59, about 5 - 5.5 inch blade with a 4.25 - 4.5 inch handle, think it's just under 40 mm at the highest point of blade, actually it's the second one I have made, first one was grabbed up quick by a guy who had just bought a farm and needed a knife.

If you are interested I can send you a picture and photo with actual specs in the morning, it's night time here!

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Check out the stuff by Jeff White or just buy a butchers knife like an old hickory or a blank from green river / dexter russel.

The Jeff white stuff is cheap with only low grade walnut handles but they are sharp and well heat treated.

looking back this is probably the most compete answer you need....

Just a thought.... get in touch with Hennies and ask them to get it for you, they've done it for me twice now with stuff from the USA, once from Dave Canterbury's site.
Thanks! That's a great idea. I do like HH

This is great will have a look asap, thanks, corso seems to agree too :)

can I assume you mean one of these

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70927

he hardly designed it though....
That's the example I chose but I don't really want to spend £80 on a knife I want to beat on.
I'd be interested to know more on the history of that particular design if you have any info? :)

The Jeff white stuff seems to be right on the money if I had it, around £100 for his best one.

Old hickory will probably be my first foray into the world of big beater knives. I bought a tramontina machete from HH for gardening a while back, when it was about £11, that thing is fantastic.

DiamondAl

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2008
Nederland
The Sheffield knives I suggested are all under 30quid apiece, or is that too low a price for you? Alittle time with some sandpaper and linseed oil would see the handles further improved, and an oppotunity to make your own sheath, maybe old trapper/backwoodsman style. Usual declaration, no financial interest in these companies, however I did visit them twentyfive years ago, when i was studying for a degree in design and technology, and came away impressed that old hand skills were still held in high regard, and the hand skills of of the little meisters were still appreciated for the knowledge held. Only hope that it will prevail for years to come.
Regards,

Alan

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
The Jeff white stuff seems to be right on the money if I had it, around £100 for his best one.

Old hickory will probably be my first foray into the world of big beater knives. I bought a tramontina machete from HH for gardening a while back, when it was about £11, that thing is fantastic.

One thing I forgot to add is that none of these options have a sheath. The optional one's with the Jeff White's I've seen aren't up to much. It is shameless self promotion but I can make them for you, I rather enjoy the style of sheath tvar generally goes with these. Just message me when you get sorted.

The Sheffield knives I suggested are all under 30quid apiece, or is that too low a price for you? Alittle time with some sandpaper and linseed oil would see the handles further improved, and an oppotunity to make your own sheath, maybe old trapper/backwoodsman style. Usual declaration, no financial interest in these companies, however I did visit them twentyfive years ago, when i was studying for a degree in design and technology, and came away impressed that old hand skills were still held in high regard, and the hand skills of of the little meisters were still appreciated for the knowledge held. Only hope that it will prevail for years to come.
Regards,

Alan
Hi mate, can you provide links for dozy old me? I looked for them but couldn't find what I was after! I found one on HH that look alright, it was only 2mm thick but might do the job....
I only get internet on my phone which makes research hard. I liveaboard a canal boat see.... :)

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton

Got one too.awesome tool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE