Dave Cantebury discussing Dual survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi peeps, apologies if this has already been posted but Iv not seen it.

Linked is a video from Dave Cantebury discussing the rumours and him not being in the new Dual Survival show.

I no much like Grylls and Mears Dave is very much marmite!

Myself I have always found him highly entertaining and didnt really care about what he wrote on his C.V.

Fair play to him for doing this, he has certainly gone up in my estimation, hopefully some people will now leave him alone a bit and show him some the respect the deserves.

Cheers
Steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDmRrJ-GdUA

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I think like he says ' Who has never told a few porkies on a CV to get a job?' And "Who Cares?? "

The point I think should have been 'Was he any good as a TV show presenter/host (whatever you'd call it)?'

Well I think he did and excellent job, he was high on coloour & had a controversial personality, but his outdoor skills were obvious and the rapport with his co-presenter jelled well... the odd disagreement made for better TV... It was after all a reality TV show!!!
I personally think it was one of the better Survival/Reality TV shows... entertaining and instructive.

Be interesting to see how the replacement is...
cheers
Gareth

Buggane

Jul 30, 2012
Isle of Mann/ Liverpool
Dave is the real deal and I don't think he really needs to appologies. isn't it for sniper training as well, which isn't really a relavant skill on DS. they probably got rid of him just so cody could shine a bit more on screen and prove primative skills and barefoot are best.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I think your both spot on!!
For me it was pure entertainment with a bit of education thrown in!!

He was a great presenter!!

Like you say, who cares what he wrote, he was damn good at it!!

Best of luck to mr Canterbury in his future ventures!!

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I've always found his youtube vids quite odd, I can't recall ever seeing any bushcraft/survival techniques being demonstrated

whats with that....

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Entertaining!!! Yes but his service record shows that he spent most of his time issuing " ID Badges " !!!!!!! Though same could be said about Bear Grylls - Yes he was in the SAS .......... But it was the TA SAS not "The Regiment"!!!!! But he never mentions that - does he :ninja:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Entertaining!!! Yes but his service record shows that he spent most of his time issuing " ID Badges " !!!!!!! Though same could be said about Bear Grylls - Yes he was in the SAS .......... But it was the TA SAS not "The Regiment"!!!!! But he never mentions that - does he :ninja:

Doesn't your TA get the same training as the active duty forces?

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Sorry, I've just watched the vid, mawkish tosh. I have always enjoyed Dave's postings, and his skills speak for themselves. But this appology was pure hokum to pull back perceived lost subscribers and income. Think of the disgraced televangelist in America some years ago, who did a repugnant appology to his congregation
for his adultery, or any politician or celebrity who have appologised publicly. It's all to retain position and money. Any all publicity is good publicity. Mini rant over.:)

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Similar :) But don't quite get given the jobs that regulars get!! But thats not the point I'm trying to give -- I'd rather these people be honest!! Bear Grylls - I was a "weekend warrior" in the UK TA SAS - Not, When I was in the "special forces" !!!!!!!!! Same with Dave Canterbury, Yes he has spent a considerable time learning his craft, none of which was learnt during his military service !!!!!! Just be honest :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Similar :) But don't quite get given the jobs that regulars get!!.....

Must be different from ours then. Our National Guard (the equivalent to the TA) get deployed as often as do the regulars and do indeed have the same jobs (including special forces) The Korean War especially comes to mind when almost the entire war was fought by thre reserves and NG while the regulars stayed in Japan.

In general I agree about the honesty thing as such though. Just don't really make a distinction between regulars vs reserves.

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Must be different from ours then. Our National Guard (the equivalent to the TA) get deployed as often as do the regulars and do indeed have the same jobs (including special forces) The Korean War especially comes to mind when almost the entire war was fought by thre reserves and NG while the regulars stayed in Japan.

In general I agree about the honesty thing as such though. Just don't really make a distinction between regulars vs reserves.

So do ours - and I bet we wouldn't every know what the TA SAS got up to due to security restrictions - from what I understand Bear got injured very early in his SAS career so wasn't deployed - training and selection is the same up to a point- pretty hard going if your only training in your spare time and are holding down a job though.

Sorry, I've just watched the vid, mawkish tosh. I have always enjoyed Dave's postings, and his skills speak for themselves. But this appology was pure hokum to pull back perceived lost subscribers and income. Think of the disgraced televangelist in America some years ago, who did a repugnant appology to his congregation
for his adultery, or any politician or celebrity who have appologised publicly. It's all to retain position and money. Any all publicity is good publicity. Mini rant over.:)

I always feel its more sorry I was caught than sorry I did it when I see these things. Its like Lance Armstrong

Lance Armstrong considering confession....

I mean *** is up with that?
[h=2][/h]

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Doesn't your TA get the same training as the active duty forces?

IIRC the TA SAS get pretty much the same airborne/infantry training as the regulars but the regulars also train in things like counter terrorism. A primary role for SAS is deep reconnaissance and the TA do this as well and are trained as such, as evident in their involvement in the recent, ongoing and two pointless wars the UK has allowed itself to be dragged into and they've been deployed along with the regulars (as with more 'standard' units) :rolleyes:

I've seen the first episode of the new Dual Survival series and its not great IMHO, can you imagine the calories they'd need to forage each day to try and maintain the body mass they both carry or at least maintain a good function.

Last edited:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
M

Bear grylls quite plainly says in his latest book in great detail he the TA SAS!!!
Go check it out

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I've always found his youtube vids quite odd, I can't recall ever seeing any bushcraft/survival techniques being demonstrated

whats with that....

I'm not quite sure which Dave Canterbury you have been watching but the one I'm referring to had 100's of videos!!!
Look on the pathfinder school channel on YouTube.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I'm not quite sure which Dave Canterbury you have been watching but the one I'm referring to had 100's of videos!!!
Look on the pathfinder school channel on YouTube.

he has indeed...

but do any of them show him acutally doing anything real? using a bow drill? building a shelter? making a fire? carving anything with a knife or are they just him standing in front of a camera discusing what he uses on a 'scout', showing off the latest bit of kit he's been given to endource or how good the kit he has (and also happens to sell) is?

Have you read his book? I have and to be honest its carp, terrible photos and awful editing and less that you can find in the collins pocket SAS book

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I didn't think much of DS in the fact it was the same scenario in different locations with a staged happy ending each time. My view on Dave Canterbury is he made a mistake, got caught out and has asked for forgiveness. No one knows Dave's heart condition in regard to how sorry he really is but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

None of this takes away from the knowledge the man has and who shares for free on Youtube. Have spent many hours watching his stuff and will continue to do so.

Steve.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
both great guys in their own way. its oh so easy to be critical from an armchair, less so if any of us has to do some of tne thimgs they have. its only tv and is unlikely to be perfectly pitched at a small group such as ours and then the many sub sections with in that. you just have to enjoy it for being beter than most tv shows and take what knowledge you can from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE