An Evening with Ray Mears in Edinburgh

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello, BCUK. I'm just back from the King's Theatre, Edinburgh.

I'm sure many of you are aware that Mr.Mears is travelling most of the UK to promote his new book, My Outdoor Life. Well, tonight I attended An Evening with Ray Mears and I must say I enjoyed myself very much. I'm not one for meeting my heroes, simply because I don't really subscribe to that whole culture. But tonight I've realised that those things about Mears I've read are true. He's an incredibly approachable and down to earth man. Above all of this though is his wisdom and humour.

If any of you are thinking of going to see Mears, I'd definitley reccomend it.

Here are just some of the things about which he talked during the show:
Bushcraft. Mega fauna. The boreal forest. Wilderness of countries such as Canada, Sweden, Norway, Greeland and Africa. The camping experience and its profoundness. Woodlore's anniversary. Africa megafauna photography. Tracking. Clips of his recent ITV Close Encounters show. A glimpse of his new Western programme.

I was given the chance to ask Ray a question. I took the opportunity to tell him how I felt about his as a person after watching many of his productions. This is what I asked: Ray, you have my utmost respect as a man of the wilderness. Every outdoorsman has a favourite tree, so what's yours?

"Birch is my friend," he said. He also mentioned the Yew.

At the end of the show was the book signing. I told him that the question he read out was mine and I shook his hand.

Now, as I said before, I'm not the type of person to bend my knee and worship someone as an idol just because everyone else does, but this man deserves the praise he has received.

http://i.imgur.com/EBftapA.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1T6fzxb.jpg

Apologies for the terrible photography.

Last edited:

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
It was a good talk, great photos and short videos, very passionate about the state of the world and our place in it.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Thanks for the honest write up.

I have met him and have just finished his book and am looking forward to seeing him at Colchester shortly.

2004 wasn't a good year for him was it?

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I seen him on Fri night in Glasgow. Great talk and it was interesting to get more about his tv shows. I seen him in Perth a few years ago, it was an odd format with him being 'interviewed' by a local tv personality that I did not know. Fri night was definitely a better format.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I seen him twice in Edinburgh, the second time someone asked him what was the best knife, his answer was an insult to the person that asked. I lost all respect for the man, never been back to see him or spent a penny on his books or shop since!

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I seen him twice in Edinburgh, the second time someone asked him what was the best knife, his answer was an insult to the person that asked. I lost all respect for the man, never been back to see him or spent a penny on his books or shop since!

... Oh come now.

What did he even say that made you loose ALL respect for him?

You didn't even say.

You're overreacting to be honest.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I've been to two of his presentation evenings and I couldn't agree more...the first one was in Aberwystwyth and I had got there mega early so decided to grab a bite to eat in the restaraunt when who should come and sit down at the table next to me but none other than RM...I said hello and had a short chat with him before asking him if he would mind signing one of his books for my Son...this he had no problem with and was very happy to oblige so I legged it back to the car and grabbed the book...he signed it then hope you enjoy the show and off he went..
Thoroughly nice lad and a pleasure to speak with....as for his presentation well that was grand..well worth the trip to go see him. :)

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Thanks for the write up, its just a shame he isnt making an appearance in Dublin or Belfast, theres lots of people on this side of the irish sea who would love to hear him share his experiences.
Great to see the canoe up there as well, a lot of work from many great people went into that.
cheers,

paddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE