Dave Cantebury discussing Dual survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
he has indeed...

but do any of them show him acutally doing anything real? using a bow drill? building a shelter? making a fire? carving anything with a knife or are they just him standing in front of a camera discusing what he uses on a 'scout', showing off the latest bit of kit he's been given to endource or how good the kit he has (and also happens to sell) is?

Have you read his book? I have and to be honest its carp, terrible photos and awful editing and less that you can find in the collins pocket SAS book

I think there is lots of useful videos it just depends on what your interests are and importantly how they overlap with his interests. his view is very much from the american fronteersman. alot may not apply to what you can do in uk woods but its still bushcraft, its not all about bow drill fires and lean to shelters.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I think there is lots of useful videos it just depends on what your interests are and importantly how they overlap with his interests. his view is very much from the american fronteersman. alot may not apply to what you can do in uk woods but its still bushcraft, its not all about bow drill fires and lean to shelters.

making a fire is pretty fundamental to survival though and I'd expect an expert to atleast have 1 out of 100?

But please post up 3 DC useful survival 'doing' clips and I won't mention it again...

Simon1

Nomad
Nov 17, 2005
Maidstone area in kent
I have enjoyed his videos and will watch anything else he does on tv,i dont think he was any worse than Mr Grylls and I liked duel survival for the entertainment factor!!

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
M

Bear grylls quite plainly says in his latest book in great detail he the TA SAS!!!
Go check it out

I wouldn't buy any of his books!!!! What I'm talking about is his TV appearances!!!! But I admit it's all done in the best taste, and it's TV after all :lol: it's just the same for all of them - Ray, Dave or Bear I think they call it "poetic licence" :lol:

Ejcb

Dec 29, 2012
UK
Just to say that there's a lot of chat with reference to 21/23 describing them as some kind of weekend affair, the roles and responsibilities are current and demanding - more recently cp in current aos.

PDLB ensured anyone wishing to progress as 22 brass had to have first hand 21/23 experience for that very reason - making sure the uksf family were tight knit.

There's reservists and reservists, uksfr and the rmr are examples of good to go units (amongst others) comprised of dedicated, fit and highly capable blokes.

A bit off topic but it often pops up with reference to bear grylls / Dave Canterbury and mil cv embellishment

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
making a fire is pretty fundamental to survival though and I'd expect an expert to atleast have 1 out of 100?....

That's true. But I've never made one with a bow drill. Or with any means other than either matches or a lighter. Never had any interest in doing so. Survival isn't neccessarily about primitive skills. Rather it's about having the right eqipment (I ALWAYS carry matches and a lighter) But even more importantly it's about attitude. Even in the military survival schools that's the number one priority they teach; and attitude of, "I can and will prevail!" is the single most important factor.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
IIRC the TA SAS get pretty much the same airborne/infantry training as the regulars but the regulars also train in things like counter terrorism. A primary role for SAS is deep reconnaissance and the TA do this as well and are trained as such....

That's my point Rik. If your MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) is infantry you get infantry training. If it's special forces (SAS in your cese or Green Beret in our case, or even Navy Seals) you get special forces training. If it's medical corpsman, you get medical corpsman training, etc. It doesn't matter if you're active duty or reserve. At least not over here.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....I've seen the first episode of the new Dual Survival series and its not great IMHO, can you imagine the calories they'd need to forage each day to try and maintain the body mass they both carry or at least maintain a good function.

That's why the better military suvival schools aren't with the special forces. They have an arduous mission to do and don't really have time to bother foraging for inadequate food supplies.

The better military survival schools are usually ran for aircrew who have no other priority but suvival if they eject behind enemy lines.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I've never watched the programme, but i did exchange emails with Dave Canterbury for a while, & always found him to be genuinely friendly & a pleasant guy to corresponde with.

And he was the person i picked up the tip about lint from the tumble dryer from !

Rob

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
That's true. But I've never made one with a bow drill. Or with any means other than either matches or a lighter. Never had any interest in doing so. Survival isn't neccessarily about primitive skills. Rather it's about having the right eqipment (I ALWAYS carry matches and a lighter) But even more importantly it's about attitude. Even in the military survival schools that's the number one priority they teach; and attitude of, "I can and will prevail!" is the single most important factor.

So do I - I always have a pocket knife,lighter,torch FAK and a canteen on me - wouldn't exactly market myself as a survival expert though ;)

firelighting is a pretty basic skill set - I wouldn't think much of any survival instructor if they didn't teach me atleast some of the basics from day 1

DC is all smoke and mirrors

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Why kick a man when he's down ?

Dave gives more for free than most. His videos cover not only survival but traditional backwoods skills and shares alot of knowledge on how to get by on the cheap.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
If you realy want to know have a look back on some of the US forums, the timeline doesn't add up...

Ross Bowyer

Apr 29, 2004
kendal
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Reactions: Dark Horse Dave

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

not seen this before

?who are you quoting Ross? -

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

sorry you've lost me?

if you build a career based on a lie what do you expect

Last edited:

Mark46w

Oct 3, 2012
Horsham. West Sussex.
As this thread may have digressed somewhat, I would just like to say how gutted i am that DC has been booted from the Dual survival series. I think its the best bushcraft orientated show out there at the mo and won't be the same without him.
I think the producers should seriously consider and accept the apology posted publicly on Youtube and and keep monday night tv the best in the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE