Das Boot ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
G

Ginja

Sorry, bad joke in the title there (this is nothing to do with boats, or submarines for that matter).

I'm looking for a new pair of boots ... currently making do with a pair of old Dutch army clod-hoppers - they've served me well (more than 10 years!), but are starting to get a bit rough around the edges.

I'm thinking of getting a pair of 'proper' hiking boots this time round - any recommendations, personal favourites, etc? I know it's very much an individual choice, but any comments/pointers on this would be gratefully received. Ideally, I want some boots for life - ie. something that's going to last long into the future (rather than cheap 'n' cheerless).

Thanks, G

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Where do you normally use your boots and in what climate?

I have a pair of LaSportiva Makalu GTX... I got them from:

http://www.snowandrock.com/products/index.asp?product_sku=MS0AQ&category_id=241

I get the impression that they're going to last longer than I will in the outdoors... I used to use some Scarpa boots that were good also but these are great, warm, comfortable (Once you've worn them in) and not too heavy for long trips.

I hope this helps.

Joe

G

Ginja

Cheers for the advice, Joe - I've checked the link, and am happy to say they look just the ticket! I do most of my walking around the Dark Peak area of the Peak District National Park, so I need them to be very durable, waterproof and with a good grip for clambering over rocks 'n' boulders. Again, the LaSportivas seem to be made for the job ... I'll have to find a pair and try them on for myself.

Thanks again,

G :)

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I recently bought a pair of Meindl Borneo Pro's.
They are great boots and I like the fact that they DONT have a GoreTex liner. I have found GoreTex to have a limited life-span.
I'm not a soldier anymore. If my feet get wet during the day I can take my boots off and dry my feet before bedtime - what a luxury!!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Ginja said:
I do most of my walking around the Dark Peak area of the Peak District National Park, so I need them to be very durable, waterproof and with a good grip for clambering over rocks 'n' boulders.

Yeah, I use mine for wandering around the Peak District for climbing... and the wye valley, they grip like sh*t to a blanket on gritstone and support your ankles very well.

If you're up in the peak district, the outside shop in hathersage stocks them i'm sure... and they do good bacon rolls too... niiiiiice.

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
Hi,

Peaks eh... cool, maybei have seen you out there sometime...

Have a look at a company called Altberg, they do a para boot (OK it has a gortex style lining) but min have had a real hammering and are still watertight, plus with them being high leg they are great on that ankle breaking grass the peaks and saddleworth moores do best...

I had mine made to measure (they are based in Richmond, North Yorks) and they are the best boots i have ever owned...

And relatively cheap too...

http://www.altberg.co.uk

Check out the "Field & Fell Original HMX" a cracking boot...

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
steven andrews said:
I recently bought a pair of Meindl Borneo Pro's.
They are great boots and I like the fact that they DONT have a GoreTex liner. I have found GoreTex to have a limited life-span.
I'm not a soldier anymore. If my feet get wet during the day I can take my boots off and dry my feet before bedtime - what a luxury!!

Another vote for Meindl Borneo Pro's here. Got a pair about 3 weeks ago for my birthday and I love em. Superbly comfortable out of the box - suit a broad foot well. I also like the "no goretex" thing. No sweaty feet for me and Nikwax aqueous wax has done a great job of waterproofing them.

borneo.jpg

Very happy bunny. :D

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

I don't think boots has to be very expensive to be good. I've talked to a guy who walked 20 kilometres in car tire with cotton around them! :wink: He didn't have a single blister when they were done with the exercise.

Personally I wear a pair of mountain boots by Cross. Good boot. Never had one blister in them and they have travelled many miles. Pretty heavy boot, but extremely solid. :) I got them for 20£... their normal cost was 40£...! :wink: :wink: I've had them in almost 1 year now and have walked in them almost every day. :biggthump

Picture:

Yes! I know..... they need some leather grease and i'll do it soon! :biggthump

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Yeah, boots don't have to be expensive to be good... but it usually just happens that way... Typically, I have several miles to walk when i'm out and about and only 3 or 4 things to cut. I thought about spending £200 on a knife and thought "why should my feet get left out?".

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I bought a pair of the Meindl boots through Cabelas and they fit great, except that the toebox was a tad cramped for me. I ended up sending them back and picked up a pair of Vasque Zephyr GTX boots. I don't much care for how they look, but breakin was wearing them around the house a couple of days and then taking a walk 5 miles down the road. In the year and a half I've owned them, I've yet to even get a hot spot, let alone a blister. Best boot I've ever owned.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
That's the first thing I have ever heard about the Vasque boots... I've never liked the look but have always suspected they were very good. Maybe when mine kick the bucket i'll have a look at some.

G

Ginja

Cheers folks, this is really useful info. I'm heading out window shopping this w'end and will be taking all your various tips and recommendations with me ... I've never been a particularly impulsive buyer!

And good to hear from all you Peak District lot ... we should maybe meet up some time on a walk, or down the pub - or both. I'll have to wait a month or so though ... injured my knee on Kinder Scout last w'end (my own fault, got tired and careless), and the doc has told me to let it rest for a while. Gutted ... !! Hence, I'm planning to cheer myself up with a bit of retail therapy!

G

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
Yep, meet-up in the peaks sounds like a good idea,... I need to get back out there getting ready for my nights out in the snow....

Had some good nights out on Bleaklow in the last few years :)

Shame about the knee... I did the same sort of thing a few years back, very painfull, plenty of ice twice a day will work wonders...

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
been wearing a pair of boreal boots for the last couple of years, i got them from the peak store in bakewell, they've been used everywhere between -25c in the middle of a polish winter and +35c in the middle of a greek summer and they've been great. they've also been used day in, day out in the peak district and they've payed for their £80 price tag many times over. obviosly i can't say that this particular boot would suit everyone but they're well worth looking at in my opinion.

stuart.

G

Ginja

Cheers for the tips fellas ... and yes, we should definitely arrange a meet in the Peaks once my knee is sorted out! Sounds good to me. The Doc has recommended Iboprofen 3 times daily, though I'm trying to made do with Tiger Balm and ice at the moment, which is working ok (but that's enough of my whinging!).

I've also been recommended a pair of Brasher boots by a mate - anyone got a a pair and an opinion to boot? (ooh, bad pun there). Also, there's a Millets near me selling Peter North boots on sale for £30 ... I know they're not the best in the world, but it sounds like quite a good price to me? Or am I just being suckered by a bargain ... ?

G

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE