Dartmoor

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Hound Tor is a very popular place for walkers, they even park an ice cream van at the bottom in the summer! Good place for bouldering too, mostly fairly easy stuff but there are some higher and trickier looking routes (still in the realms of bouldering rather than climbing) on parts of it. Good views from there too, but then that goes for most of Dartmoor :)

Also as you like Archaeology there is a medeaval settlement on the other side of it (I nearly broke an ankle in one of the houses on a field trip when I was a student :rolleyes:)

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
And you can camp there! I love you :p
Well, hopefully.. I'm pretty sure I'm looking at the right place on the map! I wish this dartmoor-where-you-can-camp-and-where-you-can't map wasn't so vague..

Edit: Cancel that, I was looking and the wrong place.. I don't think you can camp there?
I swear all the tors are in areas where you can't camp..

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Beardown farm, near two bridges allow camping and open fires if you take the wood. If you do a search I put up a photo of the sign for the campsite with the phone number.

IIRC it's quite near a pub and very easy to get to loads of tors.

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
Oh really? In which case that sounds very interesting! Thanks :You_Rock_

Just another thing - when is it ok to camp in the Danger Area?

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
They only close the ranges for live firing - I was once sat on top of a tor eating my sandwiches in the middle of a simulated firefight :AR15firin - I'd approached from the other side of the tor and didn't see the 'defenders' waiting for the rookies to advance to contact up the hill :D

Cut combe water next to fur tor used to be my favourite camping spot (i can walk there in an easy 4 hours from my house) but the last time i went there, there were 3 huge dome tents full of teenagers who decided to use a full-blast ghetto-blaster playing techno-cr*p as an alarm clock at 5am.

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
They only close the ranges for live firing - I was once sat on top of a tor eating my sandwiches in the middle of a simulated firefight :AR15firin - I'd approached from the other side of the tor and didn't see the 'defenders' waiting for the rookies to advance to contact up the hill :D

Cut combe water next to fur tor used to be my favourite camping spot (i can walk there in an easy 4 hours from my house) but the last time i went there, there were 3 huge dome tents full of teenagers who decided to use a full-blast ghetto-blaster playing techno-cr*p as an alarm clock at 5am.

Ha ha sounds like some er.. nice experiences for you!:p So if we went at the weekend we could camp in that area.. Have you ever camped in the copse (I think it's Black-a-tor?) slightly to the west of Yes Tor, just outside the Danger Area? It seems like the only bit of woodland we're able to camp in :eek:

bikething

May 31, 2005
Ha ha sounds like some er.. nice experiences for you!:p So if we went at the weekend we could camp in that area.. Have you ever camped in the copse (I think it's Black-a-tor?) slightly to the west of Yes Tor, just outside the Danger Area? It seems like the only bit of woodland we're able to camp in :eek:

not camped there myself but according to my map it's a nature reserve, and on a slope so not too good for your friends tent.

If you're not down this way until easter I'll try and recce it in the next couple of weeks

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
not camped there myself but according to my map it's a nature reserve, and on a slope so not too good for your friends tent.

If you're not down this way until easter I'll try and recce it in the next couple of weeks

You raise a good point :p
Wow if you could, that'd be fantastic!

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
it'll give me an incentive to get out - have you tried looking at the copse on google earth?

I don't know how :p
I've looked at it on satellite on google maps, but I'm not sure that's the same thing?
Any areas with a few trees will do, with a bit of flat ground for a tent too!

On another note, I tried to make things easier and get my dad to buy me a wood today, but he said no:rolleyes:

Edit: oh wait, I'm now downloading google earth!

bikething

May 31, 2005
I don't know how :p
I've looked at it on satellite on google maps, but I'm not sure that's the same thing?
yep!

Any areas with a few trees will do, with a bit of flat ground for a tent too!
The trouble is, most of the trees on the open moor tend to be short. twisty hawthorns or Rowans - generally not of a thickness i'd trust with a hammock either :eek:

On another note, I tried to make things easier and get my dad to buy me a wood today, but he said no:rolleyes:
i've looked into buying my own wood, but nothing doing round here

Edit: oh wait, I'm now downloading google earth!
I think google earth is the same as the satellite view on google maps... good fun though :D

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
The trouble is, most of the trees on the open moor tend to be short. twisty hawthorns or Rowans - generally not of a thickness i'd trust with a hammock either :eek:
Ah. Bum. What about just tying a tarp to? :p I don't want a blasted tent :rant:

Google Earth seems to have more of a 3D vibe going on.. There's all sorts of depth and stuff, and you can zoom in really close too.. Some pictures are also provided, like on Yes Tor.. But other than that no difference!

Yeah I came across some small woods for sale in my area, but my dad still isn't willing to fork out £15,000 just for me :rolleyes:
I got really excited because today I found a website where you can buy a share in a woodland for £50, one was in Devon.. until I found out you wouldn't be allowed to camp in it :eek:

So.. My options seem to be :
A tent
A tarp without a hammock (which is actually all I've done before - don't actually have a hammock yet!) if I can find two trees. Hrrmgmem.

Edit: Hmm.. From the map it looks like Haytor Quarry is ok for camping? That can't be right..

bikething

May 31, 2005
Ah. Bum. What about just tying a tarp to? :p I don't want a blasted tent :rant:
should be OK to tie one end of a tarp to.. may need a basha pole for the other end (or some very long string to reach the next tree?!)

Google Earth seems to have more of a 3D vibe going on.. There's all sorts of depth and stuff, and you can zoom in really close too.. Some pictures are also provided, like on Yes Tor.. But other than that no difference!
- there are some selected areas with 3D views (Eithel (sp) tower) - but the close ups are good - much better than the memorymap software i've got. - just remember that the photos have been submitted by joe publc, and some of the locations are way off - like the different locations of Yes Tor :rolleyes:

Yeah well I came across some small woods for sale in my area, but my dad still isn't willing to fork out £15,000 just for me :rolleyes:
round here you're lucky to find a boggy bit of field for less than £5000 an acre (4 acres is not a very big wood) - tell him it's safer than buying you a car! LOL

I got really excited because today I found a website where you can buy a share in a woodland for £50, one was in Devon.. until I found out you wouldn't be allowed to camp in it :eek:
there have been a few schemes like that brought up on here - usually with the same outcome - no camping allowed...

So.. My options seem to be :
A tent
A tarp without a hammock (which is actually all I've done before - don't actually have a hammock yet!) if I can find two trees. Hrrmgmem.
That's about it if you want to stay away from campsites... unless you fancy lugging some 2x2 timber around with you :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE