Dartmoor, any help??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Hi Guys

Has anyone recently camped on Dartmoor?, if so are there any tips or maps to help me as I plan a visit 2nd week in march.

Many Thanks
Don

simonharrod31

May 21, 2006
southampton
http://leisure.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/leisure/searchProcessing.jsp?q=dartmoor&gazName=p
fernworthy resevouir is a great area to park and walk round head for the sheepfold,and the ruined farm two great places to camp,he sheepfold is a 12 foot high walled inclosure that is used for hearding sheep and gives great protection from the wind.last time i was there me and my mate were buzed by two tornado fighters and they were so low we could see the pilots waving :D

leon-1

Pretty much all of the moor you can pitch a tent on overnight, but there are some horrendous laws to do with fire, so your best bet is a stove like a trangia or the likes.

The weather on Dartmoor is very unpredictable, make sure you have clothing and kit to see you through most situations.

There are walks up and around Grimspound, Haytor, GreyTor Rocks and Hound Tor, if you are into climbing bring a set of stickies as there are some very good rocks for bouldering on that circuit (Bonehill Rocks).

From Bonehill look down into the valley that contains Widecombe In The Moor, about 2 Km's to the south there is a campsite at Cockingford, that is where we normally hold the Dartmoor meet, when we get a chance (normally in May).

Be aware that any monies that you need take with you, there are very few cashpoints if any in the villages on Dartmoor and although they may give cashback they don't with all cards.

Mobile phones, IIRC the best reception is normally under either Orange or Vodafone.

Maps for the area are OL28 which is the 1:25,000 of the area. For 1:50,000 look for the Landranger series 191 (Crediton and BoveyTracey) and 202 (Torbay and South Dartmoor). Alternatively you can go to OS Select online and select Widecombe to center the map on and it will Give you a map of the whole of Dartmoor in 1:50,000 scale.

I hope this will be of use to you:)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
camping on Dartmoor?

Bugger that, I have a perfectly good house to sleep in on Dartmoor thanks :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Sorry, Fernworthy is a nice place to visit or if you prefer soomewhere on the southern side, Whistmans Wood is a great stunted ancient oak woodland. Can't camp there but there are lots of walks around it that will have spots to sleep along it.

Give me a shout if you fancy a cuppa sometime ;)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nice place if you enjoy getting wet!!:lmao:
Make sure your nav skills are on the ball if you intend to go walking, everything looks the same there.
I did my pre - Norway arctic training on Dartmoor and was wet for 7 days straight!!

Oh and stay out of the pubs in Oakhampton - there is a blind, one legged blond bird who likes her men rough that patrols the pubs of an evening with her large friend!!:eek: :lmao:

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Wow Thanks all, more info then I expected to get, but....

"Oh and stay out of the pubs in Oakhampton - there is a blind, one legged blond bird who likes her men rough that patrols the pubs of an evening with her large friend!! "

Really, or is this a joke??

My nav skills are not too bad but i use a satnav as an extra guide. If you know of a decent navigation site or ebbok then also please let me know.

Again thanks all
:You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE