Dark ages hoods

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
They look great Mary! I particularly like the colouring of yours, I have a moss coloured fleece which I'm rather fond of. I was wondering about a hood in russet though.

I'd like to see an image showing the hood up if possible, front and back views would be nice, and the winning lottery numbers just to finish! :) Failing that, could you PM me a copy of a pattern please? I take it these don't have a liripipe, not that I want one, but wouldn't object to a point that folds down against your back a little way.

Cheers Al

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'll see about more photos tomorrow, and I'll take some of the pattern too. Need to persuade HWMBLT to have his photie taken :D
I was in kind of a rush this morning so just got photos on the hangers.

These hoods are relatively close fitting; rounded at the back of the head, but with space for your hair; but it's easy enough to adjust the pattern to make it fold down, pointed, or with a liripipe.

I sometimes make them with no seam at the top of the head, just folded over the cloth, but the no seam across the width of the shoulders is the one that really stops rain soaking in.

HWMBLT wears his under his 'bushshirt' as an extra warm layer but without the medieval kind of look that they can sometimes have.

Winning lottery numbers ? only if you share :D

atb,
M

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Thanks Mary, I realise I'm asking quite a lot here, hence my lottery quip.

Space for hair - I wish this was a problem! I must have kept my hat on when I met you at Murton the other year. :)

I've seen patterns for some hoods which are simple circles of cloth with a hole for the head to pass through and a hood attached. These look fairly weather proof across the shoulders, but don't cover the tops of the arms in the way those shown above do. I did wonder about the seams allowing the damp through so no seams across the shoulder area would be good, though I guess this requires more fabric.

I fancy making these for my boys for camping too. Is it possible to use the patterns you have for different sizes, so I could make them from a three year old to me.

Cheers

Al

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Easily :)
The only problems come when someone tries one of the ones that I made and asks for that sized up or down and I can't get to measure them myself :)

There's a very, very, good basic hood pattern online, with very little waste of material, that can be made to fit relatively well though. It doesn't suit everyone, mostly because all the buttons close fit it very snuggly. I simply side stepped history and made one that worked without paying heed to medieval fashions.
Hoodlums with no knowledge of the late Ron Hood.
http://www.virtue.to/articles/hoodlum.html

That said, somewhere :rolleyes: :eek: I have a child's hood pattern that I worked out and have made literally dozens of hoods from, so I know it works well :) I'll find it.

atb,
Mary

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The ones I make are from my own patterns :)

I make *lots* of patterns, lots of toiles, and I play around with materials and shapes.

I've made these hoods from wool, canvas, linen, leather, felt, silk and velvet. They work best with natural fibres and they can be lined.
I've lined wool with fur, linen, silk, or finer wool cloth.
I've sewn them from merino/silk mix at £30 a metre, and re-dyed old blankets, fleece fabrics and old jumpers.

It just works :)
Warm, very showerproof, comfortable, breathable, sparkproof, 'tis all good :D

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D

Wait until you try it :D See if it fits comfortably.
HWMBLT wears his under his jacket to spare himself the medieval quips since a bit of his walk is through the village :)

atb,
M

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
There's a very, very, good basic hood pattern online, with very little waste of material, that can be made to fit relatively well though. It doesn't suit everyone, mostly because all the buttons close fit it very snuggly. I simply side stepped history and made one that worked without paying heed to medieval fashions.
Hoodlums with no knowledge of the late Ron Hood.
http://www.virtue.to/articles/hoodlum.html

That said, somewhere :rolleyes: :eek: I have a child's hood pattern that I worked out and have made literally dozens of hoods from, so I know it works well :) I'll find it.

atb,
Mary

You're a star Mary! I'll study the contents of that link a little later today.

Thanks again

Al

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I've been wearing mine about the house all day (Scottish stone house, unheated, November) and the warmth effect of having your neck and shoulders insulated is remarkable. I took it off and was cold in a few minutes. Back on - toasty warm. Very interesting garment

Edit : In-character shot as part of the Movember collection! lol. Looks better down, but then you have to see more of me…

DSC_0262.jpg

Last edited:

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
They look great Mary!

I can see them becoming very popular among bushcrafters, and you'll now be known as the Bushcraft Mary Quant.

Liam

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I have finally got around to taking photos of a variation on the hood theme. Made from a single square of wool hemmed to be about 20 inches square, give or take. Design by me, sewing by my wife. She is also responsible for the idea of stiffening the hood edge with some brown cord fabric that she had, and it is a great idea as it helps the hood to hold its shape.

IMGP0280.jpgIMGP0282.jpgIMGP0281.jpgIMGP0283.jpg

Basically it is a square with a corner folded over to about 2 thirds distance across, and then pleats put in to fit it to my head. Toggles and leather loops added. Voila. Hopefully the following pics show the design.

IMGP0289.jpgIMGP0284.jpgIMGP0285.jpgIMGP0286.jpgIMGP0288.jpg

My stepson says it makes me look like an old granny, but more importantly than that it keeps my head warm. I can also wear it under my Tilley hat, which was a design essential, even if it does make me look even sillier.

Comments welcome. Thanks for looking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE