Danners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well cant find the thread ,but was looking at maybe some winter boots leather not tooo warm as we don't get bad winters here suggestions? Like Danners but dont know....
Ta Dave

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
You wont get a better boot than Danners.

I have two pairs, one black "Fort Lewis" and the other in brown.

The Fort Lewis I have had for nearly 20 years and they are as good as the day I bought them.

Both are warm in the winter and cool in the winter, goretex lined, so waterproof, brillient sole.

I really cant recommend these enough.

Go for it. You won't be sorry.:)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Danners or Matterhorns for me,
Got a pair of Matterhorn Fort Braggs second hand. Now that I know just how good they really are, I won't mind replacing them with new ones if and when they wear out.
Price is the only thing that causes a double-take initially, but they are well worth the money in my opinion.

ATB

Ogri the trog

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
I had a pair of Danners when I was in the Army (many many years ago...........) - cracking boots. Got rid of them when I left but I might consider a pair in brown - not quite so 'military' looking.....

Went with a pair of Le Chameau Mouflon (!!!) which I'm delighted with.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
They are top gear, been using them on and off for 20 years but the last set ordered by the storeman came in a US size..........so one size too small......grrr.

Looked at some brown ones in the US at xmas and did not buy them, huge mistake. They are $180.00 compared to £210.00 over here, so I shall buy some next year on my hols.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Looking at stuff to buy in Canada in two weeks so thinking of stuff I want/ need.
Like my Goretex boots but fancy leather for cooler months. Not sure about leather mixed with gore? Gonna have a search for the fort Lewis boot like the idea of the half Uk price though!
dave

Tack

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2005
West Midlands
Hi,

I have used Danner boots for most of the last ten years and I cannot fault them for quality. That said my latest pair were made in China if that means anything to you.

I now have two pairs of boots; the aforesaid Danners, a pair of Hanwag Bergell Top boots which are simply bulletproof and I''m now waiting for a pair of Lundhags Synchro's from Tamarack Outdoors. These boots come highly reccommended, in fact I've not read a single adverse comment about Lundhags.

Tack

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ta for the replies still looking, lots of Danners to look through cant find any brown?!
Like the Fort Lewis but not sure I want them that tall 8" would be better for me.
Not sure how warm with thinsulate some of the danners would be?
A winter boot is what I want but it doesnt need to be that warm for here as it will be used autumn and early spring. Guess I will try some on when I get there.
Ta Dave

Tack

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2005
West Midlands
Ta for the replies still looking, lots of Danners to look through cant find any brown?!
Like the Fort Lewis but not sure I want them that tall 8" would be better for me.
Not sure how warm with thinsulate some of the danners would be?
A winter boot is what I want but it doesnt need to be that warm for here as it will be used autumn and early spring. Guess I will try some on when I get there.
Ta Dave
Hi,

Mine are Danner Frontier Extreme's, They are 8 inches high, have 600g of thinsulate and are lined with GoreTex. They are also brown.

As far as winter boots in general are concerned it is interesting that Lundhags take a different approach from most other manufacturers. They do not put insulation or waterproof linings in their boots but prefer the wearer to adjust the warmth of the boot with extra socks or felt footbeds. The foot of each boot is coated with rubber which is waterproof. I've yet to test out their ideas but as I said in my pervious post I've yet to see a negative comment about them.

Tack

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Tommy, when you go to Bass Pro, like I know you will, you'll find brown Danners there.

I like the Acadia model, 8", I yomped for England in them and they do them in brown.

The Acadia, like some other models comes with and without thinsulate - personal experience, get the ones without thinsulate..........my opinion, others may differ.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
These are my brown Danners. Had 'em since way back in the last century. Probably would have lasted well into the next century if a certain Mr Frangoulis, Cobbler of dubious reputation in Barry South Wales, had not got his grubby mitt's on them. They are working well at the moment, as they always have, though the Cobbler from hell has shortened thier life considerably. Fantastic boots (i also have the Acadia's in black), swear by them, the only winter boots i will use (and i've tried quite a few makers) and after all my experiments i have come to the conclusion that Danners are just right for me for winter, Alt-Berg's for summer.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Jebadiah tourist and all; thanks the Arcadias in non insulation may be he way to go!!!
Like to adjust the warmth in the boots myself (unless you can take the insulation out for warmer weather) so gonna have a look see Bass pro?
Dave

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
...?

I must have a dodgy pair of Danners (Pronghorns) then.

Had mine for 2 months and they leak whenever i go near a puddle, just a walk through the dewy morning grass guarantees me damp socks for the rest of the day. I'm still awaiting a reply from the retailer I got them from but Im going back to Meindls

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants

Here you go, this pair is knocking around. The second pair I got, sadly the storeman got the sizes wrong and ordered US sizes so I have only worn these about a dozen times.

I remember when Danner first came out, around about '83. They had been making hiking and hunting boots for years and they were that popular the folks at Fort Lewis started dyeing theirs black to wear on duty..........hence the Fort Lewis boot.

Then 1984 saw the Olympics in LA and LAPD SWAT, LA County Sheriffs Dept SWAT and the FBI HRT were kitted out with the nations best gear........Danner boots were on their feet so they became a little popular with SWAT teams and SFD units.

Over here I remember attending a military & security exhibition and Barbour had managed to get the agency for them, theirs had light blue lining instead of the red/purple lining that US made boots have.

The thing is though they were made for the outdoors and got picked up by the military and police not the other way around.

The thinsulate and goretex makes your boots into instant saunas as soon as the weather warms, so like Tommy said better to control the temp yourself with sock thickness/layers. I first tested mine by standing in a stream, not a drop of water got in..........perfick.

I will not pay the silly price over here on principle.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have a pair of Matterhorns which have stood up well to about 10 years abuse - still warm & waterproof and would recommend them to anyone. I have also bought some Meindle Burma which have been out once for a short 10miler with kids from school - initial impressions good, watch this space for more feedback when the weather turns bad and I can really test them!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE