Danner boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Kind of like the mountain light's, but know little of the company, they look first rate, I'm going to do a lot of hiking over the later half of my life so good boot are a must, I have karrimor summits, ridge and British army issue boots, the quality is fair to good but I do not see them as enduring enough, so how do Danner's stack up?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’ve been keen on a pair of the hi tops since seeing a pair for sale on BB. I forget the model.

By all accounts a good boot manufacturer. But then I used to say that about Karrimor gear.

Watching with interest, though my Bates are bearing up well after 4 winters and showing no signs of packing in anytime soon. I just don’t really like black, apart from that, they’re infallible.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I have Danner Quarries ... old ones now. Comfortable and have worn well, a bit narrow, but they do a range of widths. However, the padded ankle cuff of the boot fell apart as it is made of a thin plastic.

I like Meindls and Zamberlans for boots, both got well-judged rocker and they fit me, but a while ago quit boots in favour of trail runners - For this, Altras are great.Salomon make good ones. Arcteryx too, Inov8 are favourites (but you need to check the widths ... different models are on different lasts and these are indicated on the site. I have a terrific pair by Pearl Izumi, but they have quit making running gear now. There's lots.

Give trail runners a go ... it'll tend you toward ultralight thinking a bit, which is expensive, but better for your knees

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
I’ve been keen on a pair of the hi tops since seeing a pair for sale on BB. I forget the model.

By all accounts a good boot manufacturer. But then I used to say that about Karrimor gear.

Watching with interest, though my Bates are bearing up well after 4 winters and showing no signs of packing in anytime soon. I just don’t really like black, apart from that, they’re infallible.
I know what you mean about karrimor, I had the issue boots first, and for a year or so have shown to be good and still good, but there heavy weights more for winter, so on there rep I just got the summits and ridge and quality not so good the summits a couple of stitch's have eased already but the ridge look to be better so far, I got each pair for £30 and £32 respectively so I can't complain that much and construction look good on the face of it, but I like things to last and that might be a mistake on my part taking one good model and thinking the rest carry the same quality.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Dinner always were very good. My last pair lasted years
They used to do a boot rebuild service which speaks volumes if they still do it

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Karrimor used to be one of the worlds best outdoor kit manufacturers but made some bad investment decisions, went bust in the early noughties and were bought up and became one of the “zombie” brands in Mike Ashley's Sports Direct portfolio (nb Karrimor SF is a different company making decent kit).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karrimor

I’d been abroad for a few years and it took me a while to realise what had happened and picked up a few pairs of lightweight Karrimor trekking shoes and lightweight walking boots from Sports Direct at very cheap prices £15-20. Since wising up to Karrimor’s quality (and Mr A’s “interesting” reputation as an employer, business associate and football team owner), I have made a point of avoiding Sports Direct, Field & Trek outlets and Karrimor products regardless of how cheap they are. Since I cannot recall the last time I went into a House of Fraser Store, boycotting them will not be a problem.

I used to do a fair bit of urban walking (30 plus miles a week) and the Karrimor shoes/boots served a useful purpose in letting me keep my decent hiking boots for the hills. IME the quality is not great and I was lucky to get much more than six months use before the soles started to disintegrate, the stitching came undone or the “suede” split. I am hard on boots and at <£20 they probably represent VFM but unless things have changed, Karrimor footwear is only really suitable for light use. Danner boots will be a different class in terms of quality and price from current Karrimor offerings.

No personal experience of Danner boots but rather than focussing on brand, IMHO, you would be better off starting by working out what sort of hiking you are planning to do and what time of the year you will be doing it - there is a world of difference between lightweight 2 or 3 season boots and fully stiffened 4 season crampon compatible boots.

Having identified to type of boots suitable for the conditions you will be hiking in, get out and try as many of that grade as you can - the fit and feel of boots made by different manufacturers can vary dramatically and the best quality boot with fantastic after sales service is useless if they give you blisters etc.

Then you have other choices - leather/synthetic, unlined/goretex etc. lined etc.

Scarpa boots work for me (I have Delta, SL and Manta boots for different conditions), but Meindl, Zamberlan and plenty of other brands have their fans and I’d recommend that you get out there and try as many as you can until you find what works for you. IME Snow & Rock staff are pretty patient and know their stuff.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. :)

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
The greatest boots I have ever owned Danner Acadia, just a shame the prices have shot up.

These boots were like slippers on long hikes or marches Never gave a blister or any discomfort.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Nomad, not planning on hiking more its on going 30 years and counting, moorland, woodland, fields, quarry's, rock, river, mud, scrub etc all year round mostly had old army boots because there tough but heavy, every time I try new style kit, I get the same problem it just wont last out, hence thinking about the Danner's they seem to have that old school tough about them.

Monspoonmaker

Mar 15, 2014
Silures
Another very satisfied owner of Danner Arcadias. Comfortable, tough, with a hard wearing sole. They are very expensive when compared to earlier suggested great brands. If you are interested in Danners check out Matterhorn boots on ebay etc. Have several pairs and would rate them as good as Danner but not as popular so can be had for half Danner price.

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
Absolutely love Danner boots. Had Several pairs of Arcadia’s in the 1990’s and now wear their Pronghorns. My wife also loves hers. I’d not hesitate in buying them.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Ok stating to feel quite sold on getting a pair but I want to get the sizing right I'm a UK 9 and if I go through sizing on the Danner site they say a US 9.5 wide. I'm looking at the mountain lights with gortex

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I would also echo the comments about Karrimor, they used to make a very good lightweight boot, but anything these days will fall apart with actual hard use.

Brasher boots used to be very good, I don't know if they still are. I have an old fabric pair which I use for gardening, and they have taken some abuse since they were retired from walking. I have a pair of old leather Brasher GTX boots too, again not recent, but extremely comfortable.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ok stating to feel quite sold on getting a pair but I want to get the sizing right I'm a UK 9 and if I go through sizing on the Danner site they say a US 9.5 wide. I'm looking at the mountain lights with gortex
That sizing comparison seems in line with all my sources (all brands)

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Nomad, not planning on hiking more its on going 30 years and counting, moorland, woodland, fields, quarry's, rock, river, mud, scrub etc all year round mostly had old army boots because there tough but heavy, every time I try new style kit, I get the same problem it just wont last out, hence thinking about the Danner's they seem to have that old school tough about them.

As I said previously - making sure that the sizing is correct and just as importantly, whether the last used by the boot maker and the location of seams etc. suits the shape of your feet is just as important as the styling, robustness and whether other people rate them.

If you are not able to try on a pair before you splash what is going to be a large chunk of your hard earned - make sure that you buy from an outlet that offers a no faff return policy ((you have the right to return online orders but some retailers try to make life difficult) and give them a good workout at home on the carpet before committing and if they don’t feel right size or fit wise, don’t be seduced by the look and smell of a nice new pair of boots, keep looking until you find something that works.

There is a review of the Danner Mountain Lights on Outdoors Magic - looks like they have become popular with the hipster crowd after featuring in a book/film (albeit ironically mainly for mangling the owners feet due to incorrect sizing!), which might have something to do with the price hike.

https://outdoorsmagic.com/reviews/danner-mountain-light-boot-review/

They look good but personally, for winter walking, although I’m not a fan of high military style boots, I’d prefer a bit more ankle support.

Full grain single piece leather should be way more durable than fabric boots but opinion seems to be divided on the merits of goretex liners - great when new but apparently break down with hard use, hot and sweaty in summer and while they do help keep your feet dry, do mean that boots take a long time to dry out if they do get wet when you end up knee deep in a bog so some prefer traditional thick leather and wax. You pays your money....

Look like a nice pair of boots but make sure that they are right for you! :)

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I would also echo the comments about Karrimor, they used to make a very good lightweight boot, but anything these days will fall apart with actual hard use.

Brasher boots used to be very good, I don't know if they still are. I have an old fabric pair which I use for gardening, and they have taken some abuse since they were retired from walking. I have a pair of old leather Brasher GTX boots too, again not recent, but extremely comfortable.

Brasher have now been subsumed into the Berghaus brand.

https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2...ame-to-disappper-as-berghaus-rebranding-looms

My mother (now in her 80s but still a very active hillwaller), used to swear by them for summer walking - comfy but not very durable, she would usually have about three pairs on the go at any one time but would not expect to get more than a year out of them.

A few years ago, Brasher redesigned the shape of the heels on their boots - she didn’t get on with them and after she wore out her stockpile, she went over to Meindls. This was the point I was trying to get over to the OP, a minor change to the design of boots that have fitted like gloves in the past can make them unwearable so buying before trying is a bit of a lottery.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
All good points guys! I'm not jumping in just yet, tho I'm very taken with them! the karrimor's need more time, the boots are good so no worry there and the "ridge" shoes my hold out, I want to try before I buy, very easy as said to see something on line and feel it would work only to put it on and find it not so, I was thinking there was a shop down Exeter that had them, thing is there is so much choice very easy to spend sill money looking for what works for me.

Reactions: Nomad64

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Brasher have now been subsumed into the Berghaus brand.

https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2...ame-to-disappper-as-berghaus-rebranding-looms

My mother (now in her 80s but still a very active hillwaller), used to swear by them for summer walking - comfy but not very durable, she would usually have about three pairs on the go at any one time but would not expect to get more than a year out of them.

A few years ago, Brasher redesigned the shape of the heels on their boots - she didn’t get on with them and after she wore out her stockpile, she went over to Meindls. This was the point I was trying to get over to the OP, a minor change to the design of boots that have fitted like gloves in the past can make them unwearable so buying before trying is a bit of a lottery.
Mine (not the gardening pair) are the original Hillmaster before they were redesigned, I got them second hand at a charity shop and was just lucky that they were a perfect fit. I do not wear them frequently enough to wear them out, I wouldn't wear them on the streets for urban wear, the soles would not last long that way. The pair I use for gardening I bought new, they could do with resoling, however if anything destroys a pair of boots it is digging, it is going to sort out a decent pair from a weak pair.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE