Danner Acadia Boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any Danner Acadia boots.. They get good reviews as 'duty' footwear in American parlance.. But I was wondering what they were like as outdoor footwear..

Cheers

John

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I had a pair of Matterhorn can't remember which model name, very similar to the danners acadia. They were ok, the Vibram sole wore out quickly as it was so soft and then the stitching failed. They didn't have a great deal of ankle support once they broke in.

Compared to Hanwag, Lowa, altberg, pro-boots, issue combat boots, 5.11, Swat, timberland, Cat, I don't think they are any better in quality but seem to be priced well above most others.

Side by side with my current Hanwags LX they are not even close in terms of comfort for me anyway. Hanwags may be a bit heavier, this doesn't bother me.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Lol !,

The Matterhorns are the same design/style, and i think made in the same town by former employee's of Danner, and are priced the same. I had a pair until recently, & rated them highly, they are comfy & waterproof(goretex lined).

Hope thats helps, and i prefer toyota to fords...

Rob

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I had a pair in the 90's and they were supremely comfortable but did indeed lack some ankle support after wearing in.

I used them heavily for about 3 years and in that time the vibram sole unit wore out through to the shock absorbing foam across the heels and the ball of the foot. I got the thin vibram unit replaced at Timpsons and they lasted another 2 years or so before the triangular cordura panels tore away from the leather bits on the inner sides of each boot.

I repaired these myself but once the cordura had started fraying, their number was pretty much up and they were retired to the cupboard under the stairs for years, and eventually sent off in a charity bag to a fate unknown.

The boot itself was light years ahead of anything British at the time but the sole unit had very shallow tread depth and was crxp in slippery/muddy conditions even when new, though on dry rock, tarmac etc they were almost sticky and they were very good to run in.

They may have altered the sole unit and beefed up the cordura/stitching by now but regardless, I'd expect you could almost certainly get just as good a boot for a lot less money these days but I've been out of the loop for too long to know which boot would make a good alternative.

Hope this helps

all the best

Steve

Last edited:

sakotrg

Aug 25, 2010
Aberdeen
It would appear that Danner are also getting their boots made in the PRC and the quality is suffering.
The Acadia claims to be made in the USA and there's a significant price difference between the Acadia and the Desert/Striker which might be a clue

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
If you can afford Danners...buy Alt-Bergs!

Talk about hit the nail on the head, that is what I was trying to say but didn't.

Mate, don't waste your money on Danners they are way over rated and there is sooooo much out there better for your hard earnt cash to buy.

Where will you find Danners on the shelf to try and buy in NZ? There must be some awesome NZ made boots available? :dunno:

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Comfy
Soft soled- wear out quickly
Danner are a bit hit and miss on quality these days
for an outdoor boot OK, but better out there.
My normal advice for outdoor boots, don't get hung up on brands. Set yourself a maximum affordable price.....add £50 and then go and try every type of boot you can get your feet in and buy the comfiest

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I cain't speak personally on the quality of Danners or the suitability of the design as I've never worn them. However the price (even over here) is just too ridiculous.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Danner Acadia boots are the very Best Boots I have owned. Just bloody expensive these days so no longer buy them. Hopefully you know someone in the US who can get them for you.

Get a pair of Alt Bergs

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE