Daniel Boone challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As long as the relative proportions remain the same, the difference in measure sizes isn't really significant. The problem only arises if you try to convert from cups to mililitres or grammes.

The slightly larger UK cup size just means you end up with slightly more finished product. Just remember to use the same measure for all the ingredients.

If you're really picky, you could add a little extra salt and sugar, but I've used this recipe and it works OK.

Alan

They're not absolutely critical anyway. The measures should be your starting point. Then you adjust for taste (some like it thicker while others like it thinner)

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
Hi, all

Here we go with the next bit of food information. This one's a bit more complicated, so rather than write a very long post, I've just posted the most detailed reference I can find.

Sourdough Bread.

For full information, try:

www.shipton-mill.com/the-bakery/focus-on/sourdough-bread

or, if you haven't got the time or, like me, the facilities to make your own, you can find it in some Tesco in-store bakeries. (No connection other than being a customer.)

Alan.

N

Nomad

As a matter of interest, why two wool blankets? Do both get wrapped around you, or is one folded lengthwise and used as a kip mat? Some trawling around YouTube only showed people using one blanket with the diagonal wrap method, although one guy used two tied together with pine cones to make a lump of cloth at each tie, but that had gaps between the ties.

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
Hi, Nomad

It's a bit difficult to explain without seeing it done, but one is used lengthwise to wrap from the waist downwards, and the other crosswise to wrap the upper body and head. This gives a nice overlap in the middle, and means that restless sleepers don't end up with a gap round the waist.

Alan

As a matter of interest, why two wool blankets? Do both get wrapped around you, or is one folded lengthwise and used as a kip mat? Some trawling around YouTube only showed people using one blanket with the diagonal wrap method, although one guy used two tied together with pine cones to make a lump of cloth at each tie, but that had gaps between the ties.

Honestly? two because its warmer than one was my thinking :)

N

Nomad

Honestly? two because its warmer than one was my thinking :)

Yeah, honestly. :) Never used blankets for sleeping out, and there seems to be a few ways to use them. I might mess about with configurations on the bed later this evening. Was thinking of trying a diagonal wrap in one orientation for one blanket, and in the other orientation for the second blanket, on the assumption that it will give better overall coverage. (Also try and work out Alan's suggestion.)

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
Hi, Nomad

See if you can find an old first aid or rescue handbook, and look at the diagrams for blanketing a stretcher with two blankets, ar google "blanketing a stretcher.

That should give you an idea of how it works, but for normal sleeping don't fold the blanket covering the legs in three, just wrap it round then wrap the top half.

Alan

TROOPER

Aug 17, 2009
essex
Yep, up for this one too, looking froward to it and let you know how it turns out as i'm hopefully doing it with two or three others from my Bushcraft group, plus having read this we are working on making one of our meets a Frontiersman meet where the basic same kit applies as per the DB challenge.

So thanks Man of Tanith a great idea and i'm sure pics will be posted after.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
More or less ready to go, managed to trade a flint and steel set with Mr. Fenna. Ive also been scouring ny local charity shops for a second wool blanket, but might have to go with the Czech army bed roll....

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Probably the saw, my axe skills aren't great and I'll be on my own for this one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE