dandelion honey.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I expect that this is a language issue, i've read a few recipes over the years from old books that say that clean water should be used, I've always presumed it meant the water should be filtered or boiled, I expect that in this instance tap water would be ok (especially to experiment with) and bottled water would be fine.

I nearly made some on Sat, I had 300 good sized heads on the garden table, then I went off and did a few other things, came back and they were frazzled :lmao: It was a warm day! I'll try again.

I wonder how many plants can be used like this...

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
tony, i think you're right about the water thing and the words used are down to interpretation, there is a lot of boiling anyway and of syrup at that. the temperature is going to get above 200 degrees and that'll kill everything. so you could use any water you liked.

maybe you'd want it distilled if you lived somewhere with a poor water supply though.

SAS_MAN

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2008
highlands
I have had a go. I picked lots of dandelions and put them in a bowl then covered it with boiling water. I left it for 24hours. Then I added in the juice of a small lemon and 4 cups of sugar and then waited for it to cook. I stirred it every 10 mins and it took about 1 1/2Hour to go to an amber colour (as above) I could not get "strings" but it went very viscous on a cold plate. It tastes only of dandelion and sugar and I am very impressed thanks for the recipe :You_Rock_. I am just learning bushcraft and have only just discovered the dandelion and with so many uses for it i cant see why people call it a weed. I am so happy with it i am going to go and pick some more when my mother is out and i am still on study leave.

I could not taste the lemon so i think you added in to much. Just a suggestion.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Excellent, well done for giving it a go and it's great that you like it, this sort of thread is fantastic for helping others, John talks about it being to lemony and you change it slightly to compensate :D

The other thing that's great is that in doing this it's easier to create different things for ourselves, we know it works with dandelion so what next :D

If the lemon adds to the texture because of pectin then could crab apples be used as well? although maybe the lemon adds to the flavour because of the juice as well as pectin because the skin is in the pot as well, they used to use lemon peel for just that.

I'm just wondering if it's possible to make something of this with more forageable ingredients...

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
i cant see why people call it a weed.

becasue it produces humdreds of seeds and grows EVERYWHERE. however when a volunteer offers to pick all the dandelions in the garden to make honey, things take on a different perspective. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE