Damp-footed Newbie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cybercurly

Jun 12, 2013
basingstoke
Hello All,

As a complete newbie to the forum and bushcrafting I didn’t think I have much to say. But I thought I would perhaps launch in with the perspective of a novice who wants to learn. Having been a town/city boy all my life, I recently sold my seaside flat in Brighton and took on a live-in job at a very beautiful Hampshire woodland campsite. This was a dream come true for me and an offer I couldn’t refuse.

‘Simples!’, I thought, as I marched into the thigh-high thistles, wearing my shorts and flip-flops. ‘I can do this - I was a cubscout <cough cough> thirty or so years ago, and I will never forget how to tie a reef knot.’ <thinks - left over right/right over left....is it?...hang on. Right, which one was the sheepshank?>

I’m now a month in. I am still jumping out of my skin when a pheasant clatters out of the hedgerow, I have a rather fetching bunion blooming as a result of bargain basement boots, I still think that ‘something’ is out there in the dark beyond the fireglow and I am still...STILL checking my iPhone to see if it has enough charge to last me until I can turn the generator on in the evening.

Last night, my three hour, sweating, cursing attempt at the bow and drill culminated in a goodly amount of heat generated - all of it inside the collar of my fleece gilet. I was so close:- the first glimmer of an ember and some promising smoke were snuffed out by an ill-timed back twinge which resulted in me kicking the whole lot off the hearth and into the wet grass. I’m afraid hunger and frustration took over at that point and out came the ciggie lighter. Next time, I tell you, next time I’ll have it.

Mind you, last night’s fire did cook the tastiest bit of chicken in living memory. And, if you want a surefire method of locating previously un-noticed cuts on your hands - simply squeeze lemon juice on your food and then eat it with your fingers. Top tips like this are free.

I have my copy of Essential Bushcraft beside me and a Collins Gem Tree Identification guide in my pocket. Wait, is that a palmate or a lobed leaf?

So much to learn and I wouldn’t change it for the world.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Cybercurly,
Welcome to BBUK. Great post, entertaining, informative and you managed to get food in - always vital in posts here.

I've managed with a bowdrill but I do think it's a young mans game and if I'm hungry heck I'll use anything to cook my tea.

So are you running the campsite? Blinking hard work isn't it. Ran an award winning place many years ago. On call 24/7/365. Even had to get cover to go shopping at night. Was good too though, learned new skills, met nice folk (mainly) and had fun most of the time. Taught myself a wee bit of drystane dyking while doing the job, really satisfying.

Don't worry about the pheasants with more time outside your Jedi - bushcrafter skills will allow you to see them before they go clattering off, though the thing beyond the light is hardwired in I fear.

Hope you have fun and pick the brains of some of the experts here - they love it you know, and that you get some decent boots soon.

ATB.
GB.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
welcome. Remember that when you hear a subtle shuffle, the crack of a snapped twig . . . . It's not a pheasant, the zombies are nearly upon you.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Hello again Cybercurley and thank you for contacting me earlier .
Your woods are fantastic and clean we had a great time there .
I look forward to seeing you again soon .DSC_0065.jpgDSC_0067.jpgDSC_0069 (3).jpgwood squidge.jpg
Great first post by the way .

Christy

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2006
Lowlands
:You_Rock_ Thanks for that fantastic and honest intro. Sure gave me a giggle.
If it's any comfort, I can kill, skin, cook, tan anything but for love not money able to make fire with the firebow.
That's what they invented firesteel for. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE