Damp Day In The Woods - Pics

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Enjoyed a day up the woods with the two boys again today, was a bit damp to start with and we had a few light showers through the day, but nothing too bad, we set a tarp up for shelter just in case it decide to rain - but it wasnt needed in the end.

Anyways, in line with our philosophy of each taking it turn to light the fire and by using a different method on each trip, it fell to youngest today to get the fire going, today's method was PJ Cotton balls and a ferro rod.

DSCN3056.jpg

couple of quick strikes and we are away, i got the boys to prep all of the kindling & fuel wood as well.

DSCN3060.jpg

DSCN3063.jpg

DSCN3064.jpg

DSCN3067.jpg

once the fire was set, i had a coffee and then went for a wander round "the estate" so to speak, found a couple of nice Birch Polypores, one of them pictured below

DSCN3069.jpg

and then i saw something flapping around on a hazel branch, so i went over to investigate

DSCN3074.jpg

This is what i found

DSCN3075.jpg

Yes, we are gong to send it back, with a few photo's of the area and im going to put a few things in there that we have made from, and in these woods, probably a spoon and a small bag of the charcoal we made the other day, something tangible that the kids can relate to

After finding the tag, we figured it was time for lunch, after which i went for a wander in the other direction, and purely by chance i looked down a rabbit hole and saw a cylinder that was far too smooth to be a piece of wood, so i bent down and picked up this

DSCN3089.jpg

to give you an idea of size

DSCN3087.jpg

It's in fair nick and has two sets on markings on it, one set says WII the other set K41 or K47, cant quite make it out, now we know these woods were used during the war by the Canadians as there are still some of the old slit trenches around as well as all manner of other things, like concrete bases and big lumps of iron sticking up out of the ground, anyway, measuring the top of the case the shell diameter was half an inch, most probably anti aircraft or something like that id guess, ive sent off pictures, dimensions & markings to a chap i know who is the bees knees when it comes to identifying shells & shell cases, so will see what he has to say.

Back to the woods, during the afternoon the boys saw something move in the leaf litter, turns out it was a mouse, but it fascinated them to watch it go back and forth.

DSCN3098.jpg

apart from the finds, we spent time just chilling out, watching the bird life, did a bit of carving but most of all, had fun and lots of it, how could you not have fun in a place like this

DSCN3093.jpg

DSCN3105.jpg

We let the fire burn down to Ash

DSCN3101.jpg

then extinguished it with water, cleaned the site (fire & general) up and headed home, having a day off tomorrow but will be back out and about again on Sunday in some different woods

Chasing Rainbows

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2011
Central Scotland
What an interesting couple of finds you guys made. An anti-tank bullet and a very well travelled baloon. 110miles! Kudos for taking the trouble to send those kids something they can get their teeth into. That'll be the talk of the clasroom mate.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers chaps, we are slowly getting a few things together, im going to finish off the spoon i started yesterday to send them along with some of the charcoal we made i cant go too mad as i found a class name on the back of the tag which looking at the schools website is the Reception Class, so perhaps i'll pop a few wooden whistles in there as well.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Looks like you guys had a great time Mark.
Good of you to send them a goodie bag.
If they want a proper spoon your welcome to send them one of mine. :lmao:
I'll even sand it for you.

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Again spot on Kepis, Have the lads decided on what they are going to do for their careers. In the military or forces, with the fieldcraft knowledge it would put them in good stead. As an Ex Instructor, kids with a little outside awarenesses seem to do well, and its character building for them anyhow. Its always good to see great knowledge being passed on.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Looks like you guys had a great time Mark.
Good of you to send them a goodie bag.
If they want a proper spoon your welcome to send them one of mine. :lmao:
I'll even sand it for you.

yeah, that would be great if you could send me a couple of your proper spoons, not the poor efforts i make:rolleyes::), mind you i want them properly sanded down you know, they will have to be glassy smooth, so nothing less than finishing with 2500 grit will be acceptable:lmao:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Again spot on Kepis, Have the lads decided on what they are going to do for their careers. In the military or forces, with the fieldcraft knowledge it would put them in good stead. As an Ex Instructor, kids with a little outside awarenesses seem to do well, and its character building for them anyhow. Its always good to see great knowledge being passed on.

Cheers mate,

Eldest i think will end up as a Chef, he is studying Catering at school and although he is not quite 15, some of the food he produces is astounding, youngest, i dont know, not quite gotten to that stage yet, although he keeps saying he wants to be a Racing Driver, it's a dream worth aiming for mind and i'll support them both as best i can to do what they want to do, but whatever they do, as long as they are happy doing it, then it's good enough for me

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE