Daily Dozen Exercises

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
You realize that press ups work the pectorals and triceps rather than the abs. Sit ups work the abs.

Not exactly. Press ups are a compound exercise that works more than just the arms. They're a great all round core exercise, which includes the abs rather than an exercise focussing on just the abs.

Sit-ups, well, they should be banned...

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Not exactly. Press ups are a compound exercise that works more than just the arms. They're a great all round core exercise, which includes the abs rather than an exercise focussing on just the abs.

Sit-ups, well, they should be banned...

Not a fan then Stew??

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I guess you could try. What is driving this desire to buff up? Do you have a special occasion comung up or a first date?

Soooooooooo many questions Allison. :)

Its not that simplistic as such a thing as purely visual aesthetics.

Previously I was a mostly sedentary desk bound individual and like so many people tied to a chair and desk the posterior chain weakens and the shoulders 'roll' forward into the Sagittal plane - so a couple of the exercises are included to address that.

Anyone that has done some boxing/sparring or tabbed at speed with a helmet on will attest to how quickly the neck muscles can become stronger - great RTA injury preventative measure against whiplash.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I was bumping them in with the arms, though as a trained sports scientist, I probably would get told off.

You missed the rest of the muscles as well though. ;)

Anyway, off to change some settings back that I shouldn't have unchanged before....
Yeah, they are in the same group. I also meant to mention the pectorals.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hey T. One more question. What did you go with in the end and how have the first few days been?

Hi Allison , Probably worth reiterating that Fitness itself is a subjective term - What Squash players consider as Fit wouldn't necessarily fit my needs or criteria which is why sports science types use such terms as F.I.T ( Frequency , Intensity , Time ) and SAID ( Specific Adaptions to Imposed Demands ) https://www.nfpt.com/blog/what-said-says.

I'm also not a 150 lbs Teenage Male trying to Build Up/add body size but a Husky 125 kg guy in their mid 40's trying to retain my strength , give a nod to the fact i'm getting less mobile , acknowledge and limit some previous injuries and improve my GPP in some real world applications.

I have an interest in gross strength / strongman ( although by their standards I'm not strong ) and mainly Grip Strength Work.

SO without further ado...

GROSS STRENGTH WORK

1 ) Barbell Front Squat - Rep Range 5 - Front Squats place great emphasis upon the Core and Thighs and take some strain from regular Back Squats.

2 ) Bent Over Row - I have a strongman log made from a piece of Industrial Gas Pipe - alone without adding plates it comes in at 75 kg allows a neutral grip and just feels good to rep with.

3 ) Trap Bar Deficit Romanian Dead Lifts - I like to have a strong back and years of desk sitting needs addressing.

4 ) Slight Incline Dumbbell Bench Presses - I used to have a good strong bench and would like to get back to that point. I prefer Dumb bells over Barbell and as I train alone just makes more sense.

LOCAL MUSCULAR ENDURANCE

5 ) Bulgarian Bag Step Ups Combined with a Squat - So a Bulgarian bag in this case is just a Heavy Tyre Inner Tube filled with Gravel and sealed off at both ends , weighs probably 40 kg . The Bag loads onto my shoulders and then I perform an ATG squat then step up onto a platform , perform another ATG squat then step back down and repeat another squat then repeat the process with the alternate leg. Looking for Total Reps here.

6 ) Chin Ups - Grab a horizontal bar and just smash out some chinnies - more difficult at heavier body weight but its a Gut Check thing. May change out for a Rope climb in the future as that's a very good exercise for Grip Strength. Or move them over to Pronated Pull ups as I've found that a Good Chest exercise with a stretch.

7 ) Press Ups - Performed with feet on a bench ( which throws more stress onto the Delts/Pec Minor ) but also holding onto some Low Parallette bars to allow a deeper stretch of the Chest - Moderate reps , no need to go for a burn out via Higher Reps.

8 ) Alternating Kettlebell Clean & Presses with Torso Rotations. - Take a KB ,from ground level , Clean and Press and Rotate at same time.

ANCILLARY EXERCISES

9 ) Wrist Curls - Moderate weight , Higher reps , chasing a Pump really. What can I say , I like Popeye.

10 ) Neck Extension - I have a really fashionable Ironmind Head Harness that allows me to work my neck via Neck Extensions with either Weight plates/KBs or Resistance bands for a different loading. No major previous neck injuries but had Whiplash a couple of times and I do some combative stuff on occasion via sparring.

11 ) Farmers walk - Couple of Big Dumbells I take for a length walk down the lane for time under tension. Farmers walks are good for activating the shoulder girdle and firing up pretty much everything. I have a couple sets of Fat Grips to increase the handle size if I get to that point but I think that's a way off.

CARDIO VASCULAR FINISHER

12 ) Navy Seal Burpees - Ignore the 'Navy Seal' bit but if you looking for it on you tube its the easiest way to find it , so a burpee with additional core activation thrown in via leg tucks and extra press ups. Just trying to increase the reps for time.

Thats it - Not always done in singular succession but done over the day as and when.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE