Dagger

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

the laird

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2006
DK
any idea what the inscription is on the blade?
or if you really want to know,take it to British Blades forum,I feel that this will stir a lot of interest:D

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Is it a Wilkinson Fairbairn Sykes knife (with leather washers), or possibly a copy of an 1870 French dagger.

Would need to see the whole handle and point, any chance of enlarging the inscription on the blade?

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Is it a Wilkinson Fairbairn Sykes knife (with leather washers), or possibly a copy of an 1870 French dagger.

Would need to see the whole handle and point, any chance of enlarging the inscription on the blade?

looks like a fairbairn sykes to me too.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
wow, quick replys! as i said that isnt my picture.
on the blade there is a pic of an eye and next to it it sais:
TAYLOR
WITNESS SHEFFIELD
ENGLAND
i will try and find all the bits and bobs for my camera and get some pics up! :)

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Dont think its Military or a commando dagger (sykes fairburn) possible post war civi copy/lookalike? dont think any of the military ones where handled like that, and they would be w/d stamped? and dated? best googling the makers name or asking on bb forum.
just googled the name come up with a cutlery maker with eye logo, plus there was a link to a pair of taylor witness 1943 dated sicisors, maybe a slighty possiblity this was a war time blade contractor and its been post war re handled,or blades left over and used in civi market after war, or like i said earlier civi post war lookalike.After looking more closely at the blade and comparing it to my modern f&s knife the blade profile doesnt seem quite right,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fmfrp_12_80_p69.png

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
These were commonplace in my youth. They were sold through places like the Scout shops and gunsmiths, anyplace that sold things like airguns or fishing stuff.
They weren't that expensive, didn't hold an edge for long (mine's sharpened away almost like a fish filleter now ) but that stacked leather handle was very comfortable.

Try BB and see what folks say.

cheers,
Toddy

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Toddy's right, it's a Taylor Eye Witness, the Army and Navy stores used to sell loads of these along with bowie style blades from the same company.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
i put it on BB this morning but no replys... i think its worth about a fiver... oh well. i will just use it... dont know what for though :D

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
i put it on BB this morning but no replys... i think its worth about a fiver... oh well. i will just use it... dont know what for though :D

Taylor Eye Witness have a long standing Sheffield tradition and are legends in knife making. Spruce it up and look upon it as heritage :beerchug:

I would have replied on BB, but didn't want to bore you with the same info.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
what can i use to remove the rust and stains (i hear coke is good for blood stains ;) ) i have no idea how to stop the rattle, you might be able to see where it has been wobbling it has squished all the leather down and the blade seems to have come out of the handle a bit. should i try putting the blade tip on a wooden block and hitting the handle to try and push it in further? or is there a better method?
oh, and is the handle supposed to be bent like that?
thanks

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Try some wire wool then autosol, that will bring it up lovely. If you can get some superglue dribbled into the place where the rattle is, that will stop it for good.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
i think pushing the blade further in will hold the guard onto the handle... i will have a fiddle with it and see what happens.

In that case, if you can dribble some epoxy down there before you push the blade in, that will certainly be your best bet and make the whole knife secure.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE