Paracord hammock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Been looking around lately at mesh/net hammocks as they are light weight and inexpensive and from what I can see they safely hold 100kg of weight. Ones like this..http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...1&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0&biw=1024&bih=551

Now that's fine for those who aren't heavy but not so much for us who are (myself being around 14.5 stone/92kg)..

So my question is.. does anyone make or sell paracord hammocks?

Paracord would be strong enough to take extra weight and be light enough to be packed away easily, but after a bit of searching I didn't find alot to go on and I know alot of you guys are better informed than myself.

Any advice on where to find one or where to get instructions to maybe make one??

Cheers :)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
haha I thought it might be like that! I'd like to try one out while in a bivi bag sometime and see what the combo is like.

Surely if the links/holes are made smaller it won't be as bad?

Partickpebbles

Dec 18, 2010
South Milford
I have one of the net type hammocks which i use as a storage hammock beneath My DD one.

HammocknTarp.jpg

Works well. I have tried just the net hammock, its ok for a while cheese grater style!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I bought one of these recently to take to thailand, so i had something to string up on the beach. I weigh the same as you and what i thought would be just a fun hammock, actually was incredibly comfortable and i slept in it for long parts of the day!

It was reasonably compact and very light as well

that looks really practical! I thought the lightest/smalled hammocks were the net types but that folds up pretty small, are they tough enough for use in twiggy woodland?

the net hammocks don't look like they'd tear or rip/snap like the jungle hammocks I already own.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've had 2 of the net hammocks. The 1st was an el cheapo that didn't hold my weight (back then I was still active duty and only weighed about 211 pounds) The one I have now I have been using for 15 years or so and it easily holds my weight (now varies between 255-265 pounds) Actually it's quite comfortable as well. The weight of mine is less than 1/2 pound (including the ropes from the ends to the trees) and it rolls up to fit into a pint size zip-loc bag.

I don't know anyone who makes them of paracord but there are definitely "heavy duty" rope hammocks. Look in Cabela's catalog for them as well as Bass Pro's catalog. They are usually a double size cotton rope (although some are synthetic) and will hold much, much heavier weights. Unfortunately they are also much, much heavier and bulkier. They are actually intended for back yard or beach use. BTW speaking of beach use , warm or hot weather is where mesh really shows its best use. They are incredibly cool.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
What does rain do to non waterproof hammocks? will it cause mold or weakening if they aren't dried properly afterwards?

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I used a fleabay cheapy to sit and relax in (ground sleeper me) and it lasted a weekend (26 stone mind you) before it split http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30784&p=738180#post738180:lmao:.
I tried (unsuccessfully) to find some small holed fishing net to make one as it would take an age and reams of paracord to make one:(.
If anyone out there lives near a fishing port and has sub 1" fishing net nearby (or found some washed up on the beach) they can swap/sell me, please PM me. ;)

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I used a fleabay cheapy to sit and relax in (ground sleeper me) and it lasted a weekend (26 stone mind you) before it split http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30784&p=738180#post738180:lmao:.
I tried (unsuccessfully) to find some small holed fishing net to make one as it would take an age and reams of paracord to make one:(.
If anyone out there lives near a fishing port and has sub 1" fishing net nearby (or found some washed up on the beach) they can swap/sell me, please PM me. ;)

Sounds like you're looking for a minnow seine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE