Cyclists, bikers and cars!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
The problem is, policing the roads is now done by camera, as a revenue generator. The cameras are no substitute for being pulled over for bad driving.

I'd like to see independent (local, small-scale) contractors being given the right to hand out tickets in exchange for a cut of the fines. Half an hour outside the university as they all swarm out on unlit cycles, plus morning rush hours at the junction box on Exe Bridges, would be a very nice little earner.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I started my motoring as a biker so I am very bike aware. That and losing my brother in law father of two in his prime, to a car not being able to decide if they wanted to pull into the hard shoulder or not.
Accountability is the only way or what is the deterrent? Accountability needs to be policed but then you get all the anti`s saying its a police state, little hitlers etc,, yadda yadda.

I had a few months without a car a while back and loved the push-iron but it was absolutely terrifying on some roads, just down to the weight of traffic more than anything else.

The one that does get my goat is the two or three up cyclists on the roads. Usually nattering like old ladies at a knit-in!! If they want to chat go the bloody pub!

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
Of course the blind corners could equally conceal a horse rider, a family out for a walk or a farmer moving livestock. Not in any way condoning the actions of the cyclists who should be in single file, but on a country lane a driver should be travelling at a speed which allows them to stop within the distance they can see ahead of them.

I did say this was a very fast road, but yes I have seen one horse and rider in ten years, but as a rule no one but the stupid risk their lives on this road.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I'd like to see independent (local, small-scale) contractors being given the right to hand out tickets in exchange for a cut of the fines. Half an hour outside the university as they all swarm out on unlit cycles, plus morning rush hours at the junction box on Exe Bridges, would be a very nice little earner.

A good idea in principle, but who would police them? We would end up with countless cowboy outfits, just like clampers, seeing every cyclist or motorist as a cash cow.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Wow that's interesting Red, I'm pleasantly surprised. Shows I shouldn't base conceptions on old data, that's a marked improvement as we used to be a lot higher up the scale, especially in the Northern European countries. Cheers.

Actually - no. Pretty much for as long as I can remember, UK road deaths per capita have been the lowest in Europe. But again, there are those to whom the facts get in the way of a good rant (no, not dig at you GB, but at those special interest groups with an axe to grind!)

Many cyclists in London are frankly appalling - too many think they have the absolute right to ride regardless of traffic rules or common sense. Undertaking a lorry at a junction is potential suicide, yet you see them queuing up to do it. Crossing traffic lights at red is commonplace, as is playing chicken with pedestrians at zebra crossings or on the pavement. I'm sorry, but pushbikes don't belong on the road with the level of modern traffic. Ideally, like say in Germany - an extensive network of bike lanes would be ideal, but this is somewhat difficult to engineer retrospectively, although we should try if possible. And as a motorbiker, I viewed with extreme displeasure the cycling lobby - once they got permission to use bus lanes, trying to ban motorcycles from it s well, with all sorts of scary, doomladen predictions (none of which came true, by the way - apart from motorcycle accidents decreasing).

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
cyclists blah blah blah, bloody cyclists blah blah blah

I suggest this thread be deleted before it gets political and people start being rude to one-another. Got nought to do with bushcraft.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
cyclists blah blah blah, bloody cyclists blah blah blah

I suggest this thread be deleted before it gets political and people start being rude to one-another. Got nought to do with bushcraft.

This is the only post on the thread so far that could be described as 'rude' - indeed most people seem to be agreeing that all road users are responsible for everyone's safety.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Of course the blind corners could equally conceal a horse rider, a family out for a walk or a farmer moving livestock. Not in any way condoning the actions of the cyclists who should be in single file, but on a country lane a driver should be travelling at a speed which allows them to stop within the distance they can see ahead of them.

Make that half the distance they can see if they are propper country roads (single car width). If 2 cars are coming in opposited directions and both can stop in the distance they can see there is going to be a crash in the middle.

I currently find myself in an unusual position. I cycle to/from nursery (with a bike trailer for the sprog) as it's far easier than trying to find a parking space.
My normal car is a Passat (that I'm currently selling), but I've just got a Land Rover 110. I also own a Caterham7(SORNed at the mo). Also obviously I walk. So barring lorries (although I have driven 7.5 tonners), motorbikes and horses I cover most of the road user groups.

My experience from using all the above is that there are twats using all forms of transport. Some can't see me on the bike (in dayglow orange), but then again some don't seem to see the Land Rover:confused:. The number of times I've had people try to pull out into the side of the Passat must mean it is almost invisible:rolleyes:
I got shouted at because the 7 was loud so I must obviously be speeding:confused:. Pedestrians just randomly stop for no reason:confused:. Cyclists jump read lights, ride on the pavement etc.

What can you do, there are numptys everywhere. It is not really related to their mode of transport.

Pterodaktyl

Jun 17, 2013
Devon
Make that half the distance they can see if they are propper country roads (single car width). If 2 cars are coming in opposited directions and both can stop in the distance they can see there is going to be a crash in the middle.
Good point - one which, strangely enough, the Highway Code doesn't seem to mention. You'd think it would be something people would figure out intuitively, but judging by the speed people tend to come round blind bends in the narrow lanes around here, maybe not.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Good point - one which, strangely enough, the Highway Code doesn't seem to mention. You'd think it would be something people would figure out intuitively, but judging by the speed people tend to come round blind bends in the narrow lanes around here, maybe not.

Tell me about it:rolleyes:. I tell all my friends that when they are driving on the little roads around the farm to imagine that my Dad is coming the other direction in his tractor with the grab on the front, open and at windscreen height! This seems to get the point accross.

I don't think the people that wrote the highway code thought too much about single track roads.

MrHare

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2012
Skipton,Yorkshire
This might be of interest:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/campaign/safety-in-numbers

I'd add that a lot of cyclists don't help themselves or the rest of us by a lack of knowledge of basic cycle road safety. Take a look at the next dozen cyclists you see - almost all crawling along in the gutter where they're practically invisible, tempting cars and lorries to squeeze past where there isn't enough room. The recommendation from the UK Department of Transport, the CTC, and innumerable other road transport safety agencies is get away from the kerb. About a metre out is usually ideal, depending on the road. Much less than that and you blend in with the road signs etc at the side of the road, and you're out of the drivers cone of vision.

So I ride by the rules, and I get a constant stream of shouted abuse, horns blowing, and occasional spittle and physical threats. Usually accompanied by "I never see any other cyclists riding that far out".

Out of curiosity - how many people here reread the highway code every couple of years?

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
"So I ride by the rules, and I get a constant stream of shouted abuse, horns blowing, and occasional spittle and physical threats. Usually accompanied by "I never see any other cyclists riding that far out"."

absolutely typical of modern cyclists....i ride by the rules and everyone else be damned.....i don't care how long the queue is behind me, i don't care if you can't get past, in fact i don't care about anyother road user...i ride by the rules ! But only when it suits....i would bet that you like every other cyclist undertakes, crosses red lights and generally ride without concideration to ANYONE else.

no wonder you lot are universally hated !

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
"So I ride by the rules, and I get a constant stream of shouted abuse, horns blowing, and occasional spittle and physical threats. Usually accompanied by "I never see any other cyclists riding that far out"."

absolutely typical of modern cyclists....i ride by the rules and everyone else be damned.....i don't care how long the queue is behind me, i don't care if you can't get past, in fact i don't care about anyother road user...i ride by the rules ! But only when it suits....i would bet that you like every other cyclist undertakes, crosses red lights and generally ride without concideration to ANYONE else.

no wonder you lot are universally hated !

That is a statement both silly and unpleasant. Perhaps the chap who asked for the thread to be locked earlier had a point.

Everyone had been civilised and reasonable up until now.

MrHare

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2012
Skipton,Yorkshire
I ride according to the safety advice. Are you telling me that I shouldn't? If so, why?

i would bet that you like every other cyclist undertakes, crosses red lights and generally ride without concideration to ANYONE else.

Wrong on every count.

Everyone had been civilised and reasonable up until now.

I don't think I said anything that really warranted the response - I was suggesting that cyclists should be more aware of road safety advice!

Last edited:

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
Interesting thread: I drive and cycle, live in area frequented by a lot of road cyclists due to the quiet roads....

The behavior of club cyclists can be infuriating: 3/4 abreast, in a large groupe, travelling at 20 mph, on fast two lane counrty lanes makes it very hard to pass.
Even a couple of cyclists can be a pain to pass, but I think the Author of confessions of a bike snob sums it up:

"when a driver violates my space and asks me to get out the way, I ask why......the answer is always 'because I am in a car and you are on a bike'.......excellent answer, as only important people get to drive cars, they don't just give them to anyone you know.....people spend tens of thousands on luxury cars, yet will drive in a way as to endager human life so they don't have to spend an extra 20 seconds in sat in them"

"the Idea that someone's ( a car driver's) destination is more important than mine, or that I should give way simply because they are in a hurry is ridiculous"

When you look at it from that viewpoint, does it really matter if you're a minute late because of a cyclist, when the alternative is you could seriously injure someone?

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
"when a driver violates my space and asks me to get out the way, I ask why......the answer is always 'because I am in a car and you are on a bike'.......excellent answer, as only important people get to drive cars, they don't just give them to anyone you know.....people spend tens of thousands on luxury cars, yet will drive in a way as to endager human life so they don't have to spend an extra 20 seconds in sat in them"

"the Idea that someone's ( a car driver's) destination is more important than mine, or that I should give way simply because they are in a hurry is ridiculous"

Good grief !! :banghead: they really don't help themselves do they.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom

Good grief !! :banghead: they really don't help themselves do they.

I really don't understand the source of your anger, but you're not making a lot of sense. Suggesting people follow the Highway Code has brought from you the statement that bicyclists are universally hated, and that a person who has stated that he obeys the law, is a liar.

The suggestion that people ought to respect human life and safety has triggered another outburst of anger, for reasons I cannot begin to fathom.

I would suggest that it is you whose opinions are in the minority, both in society as a whole and in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE