CV Help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I had a meeting today in which I was advised today that I was provisionally at risk of redundancy :(

Whilst it's only provisional at the moment I want to start preparing my CV just in case and that where I need some help. The last time I wrote one was over 15 years ago so I'm some what rusty :rolleyes: added to that I a bit of a loss how to best sell myself.

I've looked at a number of websites that give advice on writing CV's as well as templates for laying them out so I have a broad idea of what to do, the fun part is going to be trying to put my job down in short bullet points.

What I need is honest critique of it so I was wondering if there was anyone who deals with CV's on regular basis would be kind enough to do that for me.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Before becoming a baker I used to be a sales manager responsible among other things, for recruitment.
When you get it roughed out I'd be happy to have a look and give you an opinion on how it looks from a HR point of view.
If you think it might help please feel free to drop me a PM anytime.
Cheers , Simon

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
What areas do you work in? Anything technical and I can probably lend a hand :)

Sadly nothing technical.

The last 13 years I've been working for the probation service in the community payback section.

Before becoming a baker I used to be a sales manager responsible among other things, for recruitment.
When you get it roughed out I'd be happy to have a look and give you an opinion on how it looks from a HR point of view.
If you think it might help please feel free to drop me a PM anytime.
Cheers , Simon

Cheers Simon I'll probably do that :)

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Please forgive my ignorance but what does your present job entail. Also, if the worst happens would you be looking for a similar job or something different?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Aww, I havent redone my CV in years

But you have to keep it to one side...I do remember that

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Theres some good stuff on here across a range of things which might be useful.

In particular have a look in this part of the site and see the links further down on CVs
http://www.businessballs.com/interviews.htm

I've used it to good effect, and I know a professional career counsellor who recommends it to their clients too
HTH

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
One trick is to add the keywords from the advert (BSc, MSc, degree, team, manage, reliable) to your CV in a final paragraph in white print on the white background. They won't be seen when you printout but will be searched on by the computer and trigger the search selection programme. If the computer search does not select you you have no chance.

Is it cheating, no, because you are the best candidate and therefore don't have to pander to the lazy HR people who are just screening for the managers who will do the interviews and eventually the hiring. HR is only good for firing people.

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
the most important thing to remember is that you should tailor the CV to the job you are applying for. There is no such thing as a standard CV anymore. You should look at each job description, understand what they are looking for and show how you have that experience..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE