Cutting Tools - Cheap vs Expensive - Review

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Outdooridiots.com is good for a laugh but it's also a good resource.

We often like to talk about our cutting tools, knives, axes, etc here in the forums so I thought that Outdooridiots review might be helpful for some of us who are on a budget or straining from too much weight in our backpacks.

According to the review not only can you save a lot of money on cutting tools but you'll also save weight by going cheap.

http://www.outdooridiots.com/features/200704/lightweightcuttingtools/lightweightcuttingtools.asp

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Yep - there's nothing like a sarcastic p**s-take to bring issues down to their fundamental elements. It's all a bit 'Emporers New Clothes', really.

That's why I love 'Outdoor Idiots' and Flossy.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I agree with them on the saw issue,
I've got both the one they tested and the longer one.
It cuts better and faster than the laplander, and the blade lock fails safe. (if the lock fails on the B&Q saw the blade retracts into the handle. on a laplander if the lock fails it folds onto your fingers)

Jan 22, 2006
uk
top review, cheers for that.
if there's one item in the pack that i dont care about weight too much its a cutting tool.
I'm just having a gander at outdoor idiots, seems like a good read, but anyone who works with hand tools will tell you that there's a difference between expensive and 'costs more to make'.
give me the gb anyday, i'd only spray the difference in cost up the wall! on the other hand - i'll take the clipper because its almost disposable at that price - and its so bloody good!

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
In place of an axe I carry a tomahawk. For my purposes it cuts wood well enough, and its value as a defensive weapon is excellent.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I agree with them on the saw issue,
I've got both the one they tested and the longer one.
It cuts better and faster than the laplander, and the blade lock fails safe. (if the lock fails on the B&Q saw the blade retracts into the handle. on a laplander if the lock fails it folds onto your fingers)

So you disagree with them then? They preferred the Bahco

It seems Ray Mears was right to recommend the Bahco Laplander folding saw, and we are sure it will be of great satisfaction to him to learn that the people at Outdoor Idiots.com agree with him. He can now sleep easy.

Good article though, interesting read.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Hmmm the magnet suggest a mora is nearlly full tang???????

Magnet = wrong!!!!!

Still a good knife non the less

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
Thanx for the link, I'd not heard of Outdoor Idiots before (tho I've met a few ;) )

Good and interesting article tho I didn't like the look of that axe.

These days things are quite different. Campsites that allow fires are sadly becoming a thing of the past. And campsites surrounded by trees, where the owner is happy for you to collect fallen branches and carve them into pointless ornaments or gadgets, are rare treasures.

Obviously this guy hasn't been to Derwentside :lmao:

Kev

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE