customs

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Hi..What is the deal with getting a knife from America. what will customs charge me for tax etc etc .And is there anything else i need to know about shipping a knife here
I have found a H1 from the states for $110 thats about £55 pluse whatever the postage is.
And the H1 is is about £90-£100 over here.
Is it worth me getting 1 from the states.
the site is

https://www.cutleryshoppe.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6820

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Hi Sandbag, I've bought a few knives from dealers in the States and had them posted to the UK. Whether or not you get stung for the duty/tax etc seems to be a bit of a lottery to be honest. Some items seem to sail through customs and arrive on your doorstep almost as quickly as if you had bought them from the UK, other times all you get is note from ParcelForce ( more usually known as Pacel FARCE :rolleyes: ) telling you that they have an item for you that requires duty to be payed. You go to the depot to collect it and they take the duty PLUS their own "Handling Fee" from you before you can get your parcel.

Because of the favourable exchange rate many items still work out cheaper even if you do get stung for the charges. That does seem a good price for Fallkniven so I guess it might well be worth going for.

EDIT

If you were worried about the legality of importing a knife, there should not be any problem at all. As long as it's not a "Banned Item" such as a flick knife, a balisong (butterfly knife) and the like, you have a perfectly good reason for wanting and owning the knife. They cannot prevent you from importing a knife as long as it is something that you can lawfully own here in the UK.

I tried to edit my last post to add this but for some reason the forum won't let me edit and logs me out every time I try. :rolleyes:

leon-1

Hi..What is the deal with getting a knife from America. what will customs charge me for tax etc etc .And is there anything else i need to know about shipping a knife here
I have found a H1 from the states for $110 thats about £55 pluse whatever the postage is.
And the H1 is is about £90-£100 over here.
Is it worth me getting 1 from the states.
the site is

https://www.cutleryshoppe.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6820

Like Longstrider said mate, it would be worth the risk. If you did get stung by customs it would still probably add about £20 - £25 I would imagine (that's inclusive of handling fee), don't quote me on it as I ain't with HM's Revenue.

I can't even buy the blade only for that money.:(

gianemarievolonte

Oct 2, 2011
UK
I am thinking of getting a Large Musso Bowie from States (18ins overall).....Apart from extra customs charges , should I have any problems ?............Thanks in advance.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Knives coming into the UK from the US have been seized by customs.
This tends to happen to folding knives, as if they can flick them open using centrifugal force, they classify them as gravity knives.
Since you are importing a fixed blade, you should have no problems.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I have bought loads of knives from the USA and have found it fine but sometimes I get a big tax charge and sometimes i get just the handling fee.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE