curved knives (get the hoover out!)

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Finally got around to finishing part 3 of front room spoon carving here . From my point of view it was really interesting to watch Robin using the long handled curved knife. We've only recently got this knife and Robin put a long handle on as it looked a bit like a welsh twca cam. I've not really got to grips with it yet, but Robin gets on well with it and having watched this through loads of times whilst editing I think I'll have to have another go.

The spoon's drying out at the moment and in a couple of days we'll have a role reversal and I'll finish it off whilst Robin mans the camera ... that'll be interesting!!

Arth

Nomad
Sep 27, 2007
west sussex
Great youtube channel I've watched all the videos.

Where did Robin get the long handle spoon knife from? Does he use it on his pole lathe?

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
T'will be interesting, to see the final state, it looks finished to me already ( but then I'm a philistine :lmao: , I like the primitive but soundly functional look. Is the new knife a swedish import? (hand made) Can U do some close up's of the tools and talk a bit about your bevell's, grip's, do a sharpeening demo even?? :) My new mora sloyd is a fantstic little cutter but the hook is taking quite some effort to get it cutting sweet and chatter free. Is there any real benefit to having a long handle, I've seen the roumanian on you tubes using a long handled crook knife and the welsh one also. Might be good if your using a shave horse to hold the spoon blank then use both hands as lever and fulcrum.

Rosco

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2008
west yorkshire
Nice one Robin- seeing something done by a craftsman is infinately more instructional than any book. Dosturbing theme running through sound track though

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I have seen all 3 videos and I must say how I am impressed with the speed that you carve.

If I even thought of doing that in my living room I would be shot between the eyes.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
With a serving spoon you can get away with a rougher finish, but they are easier to clean if they're a bit smoother. With an eating spoon it really has to be smooth or it's not nice in your mouth. Much of it is improving its looks, making the lines sweet and the edges crisp. Maybe not strictly necessary but it gives me pleasure. You'll be able to judge for yourself whether it was worthwhile when I'm finished.

The sound track wasn't supposed to be disturbing, I was just feeling a bit bored as it was my third in a row and it amused me :D

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Thank's for all the comments. I have used all the hooks available from Frosts, Svante Djarve, Hans Karlson, Del Stubbs and Ben Orford and over the years have made a few dozen myself too. Now I only use hooks made by Bo Helgesse in Sweden, they are quite simply in a class of their own. I keep some in stock for folks who have used them on courses and want something better than a Frost or you can order them off his website though he only accepts Swedish Kronor and the exchange can work expensive unless you buy a few. Normally I put them on a short handle but I recently tried putting the long handle on one and I am getting on quite well with it. I was there with Stuart King when we filmed the Romanian spooncarver on youtube he used a long handled knife like this.

It is possible to get a frosts hook working well but it takes me nearly 2 hours grinding and honing. Arth Spoon hooks are quite different from the hooks I forge for my pole lathe, those are forged out of much thicker stock and much heavier.

Mr Dazzler..it may look finished but it will be an awful lot better when Nicola has finished with it, I am not sure how well the difference will show up in the low resolution of youtube, maybe we should post some still images too. The difference really shows up when you handle it.

Thanks John...music choice is down to Nicola I didn't spot the theme....it takes a long time to put the vids together so she likes to play a bit.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Another excellent video Nicola. Can I ask you what the score is on using music on your videos? As they are technically for public performance, do you need to consider royalties to the performer. Your choice of music is brilliant by the way.

Eric

Earlyturtle

Forager
Nov 5, 2007
Bristol, England
My Mora Spoon knife improved significantly with about 15 minutes of sharpening on sandpaper wrapped around a broomstick and then honing compound rubbed on a broomstick. I'm pretty satisfied with how sharp it is now, works like a beast.

Rosco

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2008
west yorkshire
I was only joking Nicola, just couldn't manage to insert a smiley! The filming is great and I look forward to seeing your knife work as I find getting a tooled finish difficult and usually end up resorting to abrasives.re music, Whitestripes my fave so far , I've got both parts of a concert ticket unfortunately 'cos Meg blobbed!

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Can I ask you what the score is on using music on your videos? As they are technically for public performance, do you need to consider royalties to the performer.
I valid question. Thankfully, since YouTube was bought out by Google they hammered out a deal with the major music labels along the lines of those used by radio stations ie they pay a proportion of their advertising revenue to the music companies. They have said they will seek to recoup some of this money from any videos which have lots of traffic, but if you're well down the heap you needn't worry about it. Article here[\url] if you're interested.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
does the length of the handle allow more control or power? I have a frosts hook and have only removed a bit off the back of it. Would more removal be advised ? I realise it may be a personal thing for a tool, but I've read elsewhere where theres a lot of modification talked about.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
John, yes the long handle gives a little more power but it is also about control, the knife is still pivoting around a fulcrum about where handle and blade meet, if I move the end of a 12" handle 1.2" I can achieve the same fine control as moving a short handle 1/8" but if I move the end of the long handle 1/8th I have very fine control of the blade indeed. It does take some getting used to though and I would recommend working with a short handle first.

Regarding the frost hook, its down to personal preference. As you see Earlyturtle and others get on fine with the tool. Having said that not many people get the chance to play with all of the available hooks side by side. To get a frost hook working I start with the shallow sweep double edge hook, grind the back edge off and round it so I can push the back, I cut the end down too and shape the point more like the point on a straight knife then start sharpening it. After all that I have got a £10 hook working but nothing like as good as a £30 knife. If you are into grinding and fettling tools and want good tools for less money I always recommend saving the money by buying and sorting a nice old English Kent pattern axe like the one in the 50p axe thread. Buy a Mora or better (for carving) a Frosts narrow bladed sloyd for £10 and spend your money on a good hook.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE