culling rabbits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 14, 2008
uk
I help to run a scout troop in wiltshire, and am taking my troop camping soon. Does anybody know where i could get hold of any rabbits for the scouts to skin and cook. I wouldn't mind going shooting either.

Can anyone put me in contact with a shooting party at all.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
You could try John Winning
Lower Widhill Farm
Blunsdon, Swindon, SN26 8DB

01793 725832‎

If he dont have any he might pass you on to some one who does..

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Learn to snare and do it well out of sight!? lol.

If you lived near me I could sort you out but 180 miles is a bit much for a few rabbits.

How long will you be away for and could you use snares on site? It's very simple and effective but takes at least 24hrs to really start working but would have the additional teaching possibility.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
That's personal prefference I guess, a recently killed rabbit is much easier and more pleasent to skin and gut than a "cold" one though.

I use snares on a regular basis, or did until the farmer got cats. But if you'd preffer not to, I'll not do any preaching.

Best of luck.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
That's personal prefference I guess, a recently killed rabbit is much easier and more pleasent to skin and gut than a "cold" one though.

I use snares on a regular basis, or did until the farmer got cats. But if you'd preffer not to, I'll not do any preaching.

Best of luck.

Quite agree, I snare round here, shhhh

May 14, 2008
uk
I just phoned John and well it didn't go to plan. I spoke to john's wife first and well she thought it was a prank call, i convinced her to pass me onto john but he did't believe me either. i explained that i was a scout leader and needed some rabbits which were either culled or i could help cull, to show the scouts how to prepare and cook a rabbit. John just said he didn't shoot rabbit or cull them so he was no help to me, he then put the phone down. (didn't give me chance to ask if he new anyone who could help me)

so i guess i'll move onto the next farmer

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
If you get no joy with farms Walter Rose & Son the Butchers in Devizes sell rabbits and will if asked and given notice (a week or so) will leave them with coats;) - they will be gutted (i believe they 'go off' if you don't do it relativity rapidly following dispatch) but then it is probably best to ease the scouts in and go gently at first - I have had one faint in the past!

To save the trip to Devizes a good local butcher will probably be able to do the same I guess but I know Roses can and will as I have used them before! so at least you have a back up plan now!:D

Mooseman1

Forager
Dec 22, 2008
London UK
thats a shame the farmer never took you as genuin, would suck if you had to buy these rabbit's why not put a advert in the local country times and get the the info into the right peoples hands, i am sure the local priest who would have contacts with the farmers and more importantly their wifes would be of a great help. Just an idea.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Try your BASC regional office.

Also local Game Dealers, they should be able to put you in touch with someone in your area that can help with a a bit o rabitin.

Failing that Pest Controllers.

Waskely wabbits.

Pothunter.

Mooseman1

Forager
Dec 22, 2008
London UK
I spoke to a friend of mine at the British Waterways office here in Paddington he told me the boys up north have to cull the population on the canal banks and often the rabbit ends up on the fire. Give them a call in your area.

As a former Scout i hope this works out for you mate. Good Luck!! and let us know the outcome.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Ask your Scouts parents if they can help its amazing what you find one of them will probably know someone.

I had a parent helper skinning rabbits and preparing pheasents on my last camp I must admit I he did use the rather nice knife I had made for him:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE