Crusader Mess Tin Heads up.

Woodcutter said:
Found this place (see link) doing the Crusader Mess tins for £9.95 + postage. Much cheaper than £16.95 + postage that they are going for on evilbay.

http://www.shop-com.co.uk/op/~BCB_Crusader_Mess_Tin-prod-40286950-53534629?sourceid=309

I bought this and my first opinions were great but now I've changed my mind. After using them, they are no big deal. You would be far better off with a crusader cup and lid in my opinion. The lid as a frying pan? What r u gonna fry with that it's tiny. Okay the mess tin is conveniently small and no doubt will have it's uses but for half the weight (and strength and price) I have a one man aluminium cookset that is far more practical to use complete with main pot, lid and two small bowls.

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
Not used one yet, have ordered one though. However being a fan of the normal mess tins I like the idea of having a secure fitting lid, quicker boiling times etc. Could make one but why bother faffing around? Also being stainless should be easier to clean. I'm sure there are better alternatives out there as you say, but £12 isn’t bad. I also think there is a certain element of personal preference too.

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
rik_uk3 said:
This is the sort of thing you want, not bushcraft fashionable maybe, but cheap, compact, offer storage space, and work well

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARMY-MESS-TIN...ryZ16036QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I agree, have used army mess tins for many years and they are difficult to beat. Fancied the crusader tin because its steel, has a lid, and is new. Could well end up going back to my old tins after a few trips out with the crusader.

I put the heads up on here really as the tin is being reviewed in the next magazine and many of you guys will be out looking for them, this is the cheapest I found whilst looking about, and as usual ebay have some offerings which are a little overpriced.

jayuk

Forager
Feb 24, 2005
UK
The Dutch army have released some of their stainless mess tin sets on to the surplus maket. These are like the British ones but stainless with a folded edge (the earlier Dutch ones are aluminum like the British ones, but the later ones are stainless).

I picked a set up last year for £5 in as new condition - when you compare it to £17/£15 for the crusader (one usable cooking container) you could get 6 usable containers (3 Dutch mess tin sets) for the same price.

At first glance the crusader did appeal to me, but I think I'll stick to the stainless Dutch army ones. All I need now is a proper lid instead of tin foil.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Great bit of kit. Ok the lid isn't realy a frying pan (if I'm going to fry owt I haul along a excellent GSI nonstick fying pan with a strong folding handle a mate in the US sent me anyway) but where it scores over the crusader mug is that I can store a clickstand, trangia, folding windshield etc etc amen or Hexi stove inside it and the handles long enough to use on a wood fire without frying my hand.

I wouldn't use it in all circumstances by a long way but then again nothings perfect.

Just my two pen'ath

ATB

Tom

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
jayuk said:
The Dutch army have released some of their stainless mess tin sets on to the surplus maket. These are like the British ones but stainless with a folded edge (the earlier Dutch ones are aluminum like the British ones, but the later ones are stainless).

I picked a set up last year for £5 in as new condition - when you compare it to £17/£15 for the crusader (one usable cooking container) you could get 6 usable containers (3 Dutch mess tin sets) for the same price.

At first glance the crusader did appeal to me, but I think I'll stick to the stainless Dutch army ones. All I need now is a proper lid instead of tin foil.

Sounds interesting, any sources online you know of :)

If I don't use a civvy Trangia pan set, I will use either my old 'Bulldog billies' or the army tins. To be honest, I don't think much of the crusader cup, OK, you can boil in it, but its too small to hold a decent size meal, because its only one pan your meal ends up like baby food (all mushed together) and your hot drink goes cold quick; not bad as a noodle cooker, but thats about it really. Decent pans and in insulated mug for me every time, I like my comfort and my food too much to live out of a mug ;)

jayuk

Forager
Feb 24, 2005
UK
rik_uk3 said:
Sounds interesting, any sources online you know of :)

I'm affraid I havn't seen them advertised online anywhere, but I picked mine up in ''John's Army Surplus'' when I was passing through Redhill (Surrey) last year. I don't actually live down there so I can't guarantee if they still have them in stock (they were mixed up with the aluminium ones, but are distinctive with thiner walls and folded edges).

I've also seen them in surplus stalls at different Sunday markets/car boot sales last year so I presume there were quite a lot of them put on the surplus market.

I'll post a pic of mine in the next few days if anyone is interested in what they look like.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE