Mess Tin Stove!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Not sure if this is the correct place for the thread but here goes. This may have been done hundreds of times but I tried it for the first time on a campout last week and I was very,very impressed. I always carry two mess tins when out and about with my kit stored inside. Always a firesteel setup, some matches just in case, DC4 Sharpening Stone and some basic sewing kit. So, when it came to prepping my supper, instead of using my Hobo or gas stove, I used my mess tins. I used the bigger of the two on the bottom. I got my fire going in this. Then I placed two metal tent pegs across it lenghthways, then placed the smaller of the two on top to cook/heat my food. It was great. I made a mini stew and it coped brilliantly. I found it just as sturdy as any cooking setup I have used in the past, as long as I was carefull obviously. It was nice and low to the ground so was not prone to toppling, and as there was a gap due to the pegs, there was enough air circulating to keep things going, plus it was easy to top up with wood as fuel. I may make some alterations down the road but its light,packs away brillaintly, easy to keep clean and maintain and both practical and cheap. May not suit everyone but its my new "thing". Tim.

Yep done something like it....

Messtin%2Bhobo.jpg

Even went a bit beyond that to match 4 mess tins into a complete kitchen setup that I can use to burn wood, alcy, esbit, and fits my Primus Omnifuel (whitegas, lpg, diesel).

I had two aluminium mess tins and two steel ones. I also have a Trangia (clone) which I adapted to fit my Primus omnifuel....

IMAG0840.jpg

IMAG0843.jpg

Square (Rectangle to be precise) packs away easier, so with a lot of luck I found out that, the mess tins all can nest together....

Behold an easy packable omnifuel burner type of thingy.......
IMAG0837.jpg

Stacked on top
IMAG0838.jpg

Makes
IMAG0839.jpg

And all packed away (now only with Trangia burner cup
IMAG0860.jpg

Now all I need is a decent lid/fryingpan. I do use the two messtins to cook about (rice in one, meat/rest in other, possible stacked on top of eachother to maximize the use of fuel/energie.

Reason to use a potgripper is not only due to the fact that otherwise the tins don't nest. It also makes flipping pancakes alot easier without a foldable handle ;-)

But to be honest, for now I use the clikstand alot. Esbit or alcy or otherwise a small cooking fire.

IMAG0854.jpg

No the clikstand is too low to be adapted for the primus omnifuel .... Will have to ask a mate of mine to do something with a Titanium sheet he has to transform that a bit. Will post pics if/when done ;-)

Grtz Johan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE