crusader cup vs zebra billy

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
im looking for a good solid cooking vessel that is small and compact but versatile- good enough to use on/over a fire and over a meths burner/hobo stove. These two seem to fit the bill, both evenly priced (crusader cup with the lid).

could those that use these tell me the pro's and con's, thanks :eek:

soulstar1963

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2010
stoke on trent
whichever you choose id still take a plastic cup of some description to save you burning your mouth when you have a drink.......the billy would be my choice for use over a fire as i understand the crusader cup lid is plastic........unless you make yourself an aluminium one of course

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Depends on how much you want to cook or boil. The 12cm billy takes more water than the crusader, but the crusader doubles as a cup/bowl/washing bowl and the issue waterbottle fits inside it. You can store a small brew kit in it aswell.
Zebra billy's store more inside, but you end up replacing the arm with wire taking out the bowl and it takes up more room and is heavier.
I use both depending on how far i'm going or how long i'm going to be away.
However, green snot is horrible but you can use a meths burner in the crusader stove with a couple of tent pegs or sling it on a gas stove.

Horses for courses :D

Jun 22, 2010
MN
I like the simple design of the cooker but I would like to be able to use a small zebra billy with it sometimes. also how useful is the cup as a pot does it have room for a package of noodle soup or a can of chili?

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
I like the simple design of the cooker but I would like to be able to use a small zebra billy with it sometimes. also how useful is the cup as a pot does it have room for a package of noodle soup or a can of chili?

The crusader cooker on green snot only lasts about 10 minutes, so to heat and cook in a billy on it would take a few satchets. I've cooked a rat pack main meal in a crusader cup easily enough

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
cheers guys. If you had to choose just one out of the two wich would it be? I can see the billy just edging infront... If I was to get the crusader I wouldnt see myself buying the cooker for it.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The Crusader is fine for a brew or some noodles/heating a ratpack but a billy can is better for cooking IMHO. For one thing, if you use the Crusader on a stove like a gas cooker, the shape means a very uneven distribution of heat which in turn can slow down boil times or cause localised 'burning' of food; you won't get this with a billy can.

2,4 and 6 pint billy cans here, all three for £15 delivered
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NESTING-BILLY...amping_CookingSupplies_ET&hash=item255202148d perfect for stove or open fire.

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
Just a side thought - I sometimes use one of these:

imageresizer

http://www.gelert.com/Products/Ascent_I_Cookset.aspx

its the perfect size for a nalgene type bottle and comes with a lid

I've also got a crusader (or two) which I pretty much only use for boiling water, the little cooker thing is ok I just don't think it nests well enough.
For anything bigger I'd probably take a billy or a trangia.

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
I dont own a Zebra billy can and never will so i opt for the crusader mug or other steel mugs option with metal lids. Otherwise its the swedish Trangia
Darren

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
thanks for the comments guys, are cheaper billies worth the money? I've seen some like rik has posted but sold seperately for £8 posted.

darren, why would you never use a billy if you dont mind me asking? thanks.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
thanks for the comments guys, are cheaper billies worth the money? I've seen some like rik has posted but sold seperately for £8 posted.

darren, why would you never use a billy if you dont mind me asking? thanks.

I've been using a similar set for over 40 years so I think they are worth the money.

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk

I depends what you are using to cook on, a lot of people prefer stainless steel as it handles high and uneven temperatures better than aluminium, so if you are putting them directly on a fire you might want steel, but if on a stove or hanging above a fire (especially full of water) aluminium works ok and is often lighter.

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Hello jonnie, i have never used a billy can mainly because i had never been in one place long enough to use one over a fire,only ever used hexi,sometimes mixed with some greensnot for the mugs and burners. I get along fine with what i have got,so have never got around to buying one.Perhaps one day.
Darren

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Ive used both, the crusader is good but really needs a lid although some members make and sell these here. Its a bit small really although ok for a brew set up.

The zebra billys are good but arn't the best IMO, the bail really needs changing, and the inner bowl is of limited use (although its ok for Bannock) and the lid is loose.

Ive been using the Swedish Army Trangia lately, for me it covers all bases.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I depends what you are using to cook on, a lot of people prefer stainless steel as it handles high and uneven temperatures better than aluminium, so if you are putting them directly on a fire you might want steel, but if on a stove or hanging above a fire (especially full of water) aluminium works ok and is often lighter.

Aluminium is a far better conductor of heat than Stainless steel and these pans will go on a fire so long as they are not empty of course.

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
TeeDee sent me a PM asking about the size of the Ascent 1 cookset I posted about. But your inbox is full mate so I'll post the answer here for everyone.

The larger billy internal diameter is 98mm, internal height is 110mm. It holds 800mm of liquid and fits comfortably around a 1 lit wide mouth naglene type bottle. The larger billy nests inside the smaller cup, the lid fits both and the whole thing with a bottle fits very easily inside a PLCE waterbottle or utility pouch (and actually leaves more space than the issue canteen with a crusader.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE