Crusader cup Lid

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
BCB are producing a lid for the crusader cup (At last)

Anyone know where I can get one form (For a good price)

Found this but seems expencive

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Easy. You get a bit of heavy foil, say from a pie dish or one of those instant barbeques, you draw round the top of your crusader, then cut it out leaving a good 5-10mm spare all the way around. Then you roll the edges over twice to hide the sharp edges, so that you've still got a few mill spare all around, lay it on top of the mug, and fold the edges over - you'll need to crimp 'em a bit to get round the curves.

Hey presto! You now have a crusader mug lid. And it'll fold in half for easy storage. :)

While you're at it, use the same kind of foil to make a windsheild. It makes a big difference! Again, be very careful of the edges.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
gregorach said:
Easy. You get a bit of heavy foil, say from a pie dish or one of those instant barbeques, you draw round the top of your crusader, then cut it out leaving a good 5-10mm spare all the way around. Then you roll the edges over twice to hide the sharp edges, so that you've still got a few mill spare all around, lay it on top of the mug, and fold the edges over - you'll need to crimp 'em a bit to get round the curves.

Hey presto! You now have a crusader mug lid. And it'll fold in half for easy storage. :)

While you're at it, use the same kind of foil to make a windsheild. It makes a big difference! Again, be very careful of the edges.

Got something similar now but would like something with a little more longevity

Cheers :You_Rock_

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I've been using the same one for ages now... And it's not looking likely to wear out anytime soon either. The biggest risk is it blowing away one day.

Still, to each his own... ;)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Pignut said:
Got something similar now but would like something with a little more longevity

Cheers :You_Rock_
I’d draw around the crusader mug on to a piece of 25mm ply-wood, and cut out. Draw round the outline on to the material of your choice increasing the size by 7mm or so. That would give you a size big enough to take into account the curvature of the folds.
Cut out a piece of thin steel (bottom of an old turkey roasting tin) taking your time using a smallish hammer fold the material over the edge of the plywood. If you go slowly you will find that you are left with a relatively smooth crease free lipped lid. Drill a hole for the handle (turn a bit of hardwood using sand paper and a house hold drill.) fix together with an ss bolt.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Warthog1981 has made afew of these, to a very high standard, I,ve made one, to a lesser standard, but it works ok.
It doesnt take a long time, (unless its needed for tommorow :rolleyes: )

I used the template from the mug, in scrap plywood, a piece of thin aluminium and a wooden mallet, trimmed with tinsnips

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Well the cider has got the better of me and I have ordered one of the plastic ones!

For less then £3 guess it was worth a try

(Worth pointing out that I dont use my crusader on an open fire very often)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i don't like plastic utensils when camping, they get greasy and difficult to clean.
at least with metal i can sterilise it in a fire.

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Hello all
I,ve been here a while, but i have not posted yet so first post here we go.I have been using one of those plastic bcb lids for about two weeks now and i have not had any problems so far. The lid tends to expand inside the rim of the mug when boiling water which in a way is good as it does not fall off when you pour out the contents. However the small grips on top are awkward if you have large fingers and the bcb logo is a dirt trap. If your are worried about the large pour hole i just place a spoon across the top to cover it so only the small hole remains.The lid has not warped yet with heat even with my mixture of esbit and greenheat gel,however if you use your mug on an open fire i think a disaster is looming. I got mine from The trojon group tactical.com.
Hope this post is of use to you all. Cheers.
Rad

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi i agree with John about Russells(Warthog1981) crusader lids as they are the dogs whatsums. I was very kindly given a lid by Russ at a Scottish meet(top bloke).
Pignut maybe you could PM Russ and ask him if he could maybe knock you one up for a few sheckles.

He also made me a 10cm billy :) i tell you theres no end to the guys talent.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Pignut said:
BCB are producing a lid for the crusader cup (At last)
I noticed this the other day when I was looking for a new pouch, but it doesn't work with my crusader cup.

Why? Becuse I drilled a hole through the lip opposite the handle and I can hand it from a bit fo chain hoked round teh handles one side and my hole on the other. The lid wouldn't go on with this :)

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
It is very easy to make a lid from a scrap piece of aluminium. I've done it and it works unlike my carved wooden spoons and leather knife sheath.

Place the upside down cup on the aluminium and draw around it. Cut with tinsnips leaving two small tags. File the edges smooth and bend the tabs down over the edge of the cup to grip lightly.
Drill two holes about an inch apart in the centre of the lid and bend a bit of coathanger through them to make a loop to lift the lid of with a stick or heat proofed fingers.
It's flat enough to fit in the back of the water bottle pouch with your metal spoon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE