crusader cup and cooker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I'd definitely recommend having a back-up. I learnt that greenheat doesn't burn when it's too cold the hard way - fortunately it was only on a day walk.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
use a trangia burner! ok it wont fit in your stove but it costs peanuts to run compared to greenheat or hexiblocks. tanoka make a good stove with clip on pot supports.

pete

I think they missed a trick when they designed this.

If they had raised the sides and the support arm - only about an inch or so, and got rid of the wee fuel cup thingy in the base - then it would have been a true multi fuel little stove that would still have nested, along with the water bottle and mug, in a PLCE pouch.

I don't use the cooker anymore - I find it too fiddly and inefficient. A hobo stove and a tatonka burner are light and small enough to carry on day trips and they can be set up and fired quickly (wood or meths) and you can burn for longer too - in case the brew stop turns into a meal stop.

The cup is excellent - totally bombproof, it goes everywhere with me and I also have Warthog's excellent lid for it - probably the best value piece of kit I have ever bought!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I use the stove once in a while (with hexy rather than "fire snot"). It works okay with a windshield and a lid.Strangely this thread came to mind today when out having a brew so I snapped a picc - thought it might help to show how the metal lids work

3261732452_b2b870eb50_o.jpg

Red

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
I agree with red use a wind shield!

I was paddling this weekend and I found if I sit in the path of the wind and use a wind sheild to agross the cup and heat it boils much faster.

Something as easy as tin foil ought to work if your trying to keep light. I have also tried pouring meths into the cup and this is ok but put it on something off the ground the cold of the ground seems to take the heat right away from the burning flame..

Simon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I like the metal lid. Is that the one Warthog makes that everyoe mentions? Must get me one of them...

Claudiasboris

Yep, thats my original one of Russ's (Warthog) that I stove enamelled black due to having a black crusader (bad mistake - the teflon flakes off). They come in plain metal which suits the (superior IMO) steel crusader

Red

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I got the black one too. Used it once to try it out with the fire snot stuff. Since then it's been sat in its pouch but the waterbottle has been used a bit and has scraped the non-stick off the mug in parts.

Looking forward to Teflon nutrition when I use the mug again.

How much are the lids, by the way?

Claudiasboris

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
About £7 including delivery IIRC

Russ does a batch now and then as a favour to members - I suspect he is thoroughly bored with them after a batch ;)

Wingstoo did a few at one point (not the same but a formed metal lid) for a few mates

They do make a huge difference to boil time- but then so does bending a pie plate over your mug and cutting it out with scissors :)

Any form of close fitting (but not air tight) lid will improve boil time on any vessel - it is surprising that there isn't a proper manufactured one for the Crusader - the plastic one is a very poor design sadly

Red

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Cheers Red. Now all I have to do is find him and hassle him into making more ;-D

I'm surprised that they haven't bothered making an official lid too. I always use a lid when cooking, indoors or out: simple efficiency. I've never trusted the plastic lid, though the one time I used the mug I also used the lid. It worked a bit but I was concerned about plastic + fire/heat = melt. Other posters have confirmed my worries...

Claudiasboris

Woohoo - now I'm in double figures!!!!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I concur. Great cup, poop stove. There are galvanised handle available on evilBay, for pennies, that will allow you to hang it like Peter's.

Like this one.

Watch those BCB handles, they come off way to easily. I was kindly given one but really don't like it, if anyone wants it email me your addy and I'll post it on to you

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Good bit of kit, but far too heavy in my opinion. If you look around you can find aluminium versions. Ok, not quite as robust, but i've had one for the past 15 years that has taken an absolute battering and is still going strong- you just bend it back into shape after a particularly eventful occurance.

Bit of tape on the rim to stop burnt lips, and a bit of tin foil to use as a lid (and as a makeshift hat to stop your mind being read by the wicked witch of the Surrey woods).

Once it builds up an internal patina of old age, you don't even need brew materials- just add water to taste ;).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE