Crusader cooking set?

Noodoo

Aug 16, 2010
Manchester

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
the crusader is a good set yeah,...and the bcb one is slightly better quality than the webtex in my opinion,....

but dont go for the green heat ,..its not brilliant,...

the placcy lid sticks in the top and the pot too...(make an alloy one,)

use hexamine blocks and its a nice kit,...

there are cheap versions ,..but i,ve had a bcb one for years and its solid,....

Stu,...

ps ,...

i,m also an advocate of the swedish mess kit ,..not as "fashionable" and a little bulky ,..but well worth considering,....as it has two pans, and can be used as a small "oven" ....and comes with a alcohol burner and windsheild all in for less than half this price,....

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
No need to bash him for it Rik_UK3. Admittedly the search function is helpful, but if everyone used it and didn't post then forums would dry up!

Crusader cooksets are extremely popular, cheap and relatively compact. You could try the swedish mess kit (ebay etc) or the US GI canteen cookset which is also a great bit of kit!

Cheers...

Noodoo

Aug 16, 2010
Manchester
Ahhhh sorry Rik, I did try a search but didn't find anything relevant! I'll try a bit harder next time mate.

And cheers Stu, like I said I'm still looking around and just trying to gather some ideas. If I don't find one that meets my needs before the next time I go out I'll just use my bro-in-law's again. But still, it would be good for me to have my own gear!

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
I've been trying the Greenheat over the last couple of days and it performs really well.

give us a quick run down JD if u dont mind....

i never seemed to be able to get a proper boil off a sachet,...even at half full,...

Stu

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm off to do a pre-season survey tomorrow, so I'll get some pics done and do a review. The civvy Trangia burner fits snugly into it too, so I may test out that and the Whitebox stove with it also.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
or the US GI canteen cookset which is also a great bit of kit!

Cheers...

oh yeah,...i forgot about this one,....hahah its on my lap now as i type,...i was goign to sack work off tomoro but i reckon a trip up to the body shop will produce two nice burner stands Mr Sandy Pablo!!!!

waderyer think bro??

i,m gonna need your addy again,....hahahahahahaha

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
I'm off to do a pre-season survey tomorrow, so I'll get some pics done and do a review. The civvy Trangia burner fits snugly into it too, so I may test out that and the Whitebox stove with it also.

yeah ,..compare all three?....dint you do summat similar last year?

i dropped a coke can stove in mine,....

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
well its the box i got when i bought it about 2-3 years ago,...so,....dunno if its old or new,...did they change the recipe?

Yeah, they improved it loads recently. I heated up some chunky soup and boiled a small mug of water for a brew today off one sachet. Outdoors that is.

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
Hi - and welcome aboard. IMO the Crusader cook kit is pants. I have one and hardly ever use it. The heat Gel is messy and rarely boils a full pot in the outdoors. As has been suggested the SAT (swiss army trangia) can be puchased for half the price and is much more verastile. it can be used with an alcohol stove, as a woodburner and with the 2 pans can be used as a small oven as well as a boil your stuff cooker. It also has/is its own windshield - i use mine 90% of the time outdoors. The other 10% i use the tatonka meths stove and a stand-alone windshield as its lighter than the SAT for daytrips. Hope this helps.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You can't really compare the two. The Swiss Army kit is just a brilliant all round set-up for food, bevvies, cooking over fire, with burners etc etc. The Crusader system can't compete with that. Where it does excell though, is in it's size. With a 1l bottle of water, the SAT is twice the size and four times the weight at least, of the Crusader. I use the Crusader in a small shoulder bag for small bimbles, I can't do that with the SAT as it takes up three times the space. The SAT is great in a rucksack though, and covers far more options for a longer period of time. Depends what you want from your kit. With the price of SATs though, you can get both and cover all bases.

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
Noodoos question was re general cooking sets to start out with. Although you state the weight differences its still minimal kit - for the versatility its small kit. I find the Crusader very limiting - i have tried and used a small penny stove, hexamine etc and ahve been dissapointed with the results, as well as having to modify the stove. Just my opinion and im sure there are many afficianados of the crusader kit. Im just not one of them.

Noodoo

Aug 16, 2010
Manchester
Thanks for all the replies guys! Judging what you've been saying, I'm probably better off with the trangia stove? I found one for £13 which suits me fine and looks like it's more versatile like some of you have said. Trangia moves to first place!

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Thanks for all the replies guys! Judging what you've been saying, I'm probably better off with the trangia stove? I found one for £13 which suits me fine and looks like it's more versatile like some of you have said. Trangia moves to first place!

could i also mention that the stainless set is worth the extra 2 quid too,...

better for in the fire,.....

i put a dough ball in the big tin with water in the top pan in the morning embers,...

tea and toast is done toghether in the fire while you get youself together,...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE