Crunchy on the outside...

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
...soft on the inside! Armadillo!

On holibobs in Florida at the moment & the other evening we were driving down a fairly major road when I saw some little animals grazing on the grass verge. I assumed they were rabbits as had that same hunched appearance but was delighted to see they were armadillos - don't think I've ever seen one before.

No pictures, sadly, just wonderful to see some nature in a generally artificial environment (although Disney does a pretty good job of making it all look real)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cool, an interesting animal the.armadillo. Loved watching them at a wildlife park I used to visit.
Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
...soft on the inside! Armadillo!

On holibobs in Florida at the moment & the other evening we were driving down a fairly major road when I saw some little animals grazing on the grass verge. I assumed they were rabbits as had that same hunched appearance but was delighted to see they were armadillos - don't think I've ever seen one before.

No pictures, sadly, just wonderful to see some nature in a generally artificial environment (although Disney does a pretty good job of making it all look real)

It's great when you see a non UK indigenous critter abroad -make you really feel like you've travelled. We got very close to a spiny echidna in Tasmania - such a great experience.

I am always thrilled to see animals I've never seen before. In one case, this led to an amazing discovery.

Many years ago, I took a trip to see the rain forests of Costa Rica. One of the big thrills for me was seeing parrots. I had a great time watching the colorful exotic (to me) birds.

I arrived home (in suburban southern California) and returned to my routine. One afternoon, while dozing on the couch of my apartment I heard... parrots! In my semi-conscious state I assumed I was dreaming. Or maybe I was losing my mind!

But no, I definitely heard parrots! I scrambled outside to see a flock of bright green birds roosting high in the trees above. I couldn't believe my eyes! It was surreal to see not one but dozens of exotic animals outside my doorstep.

Long time residents confirmed my siting. Nobody knows for sure how the parrots came to live in my area. The widely accepted story is that they were set free for their survival when a large pet store burned down in 1959 or 1969 (versions vary).

I would never have recognized their calls if I hadn't seen these "exotic" creatures in Costa Rica.

- Woodsorrel

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I am always thrilled to see animals I've never seen before. In one case, this led to an amazing discovery.

Many years ago, I took a trip to see the rain forests of Costa Rica. One of the big thrills for me was seeing parrots. I had a great time watching the colorful exotic (to me) birds.

I arrived home (in suburban southern California) and returned to my routine. One afternoon, while dozing on the couch of my apartment I heard... parrots! In my semi-conscious state I assumed I was dreaming. Or maybe I was losing my mind!

But no, I definitely heard parrots! I scrambled outside to see a flock of bright green birds roosting high in the trees above. I couldn't believe my eyes! It was surreal to see not one but dozens of exotic animals outside my doorstep.

Long time residents confirmed my siting. Nobody knows for sure how the parrots came to live in my area. The widely accepted story is that they were set free for their survival when a large pet store burned down in 1959 or 1969 (versions vary).

I would never have recognized their calls if I hadn't seen these "exotic" creatures in Costa Rica.

- Woodsorrel

There's a colony of parakeets living in London. Very strange the first time you see them. We also have Wallabies in a couple of places too.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

When I took the family to Florida one of the things we did was to have a morning on an airboat in the swamps south Orlando. We saw loads of alligators and other wildlife and the airboat captain was a right character as well. It was one of the highlights of our trip for me :)

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
there are flocks of quite literally thousands of green parakeets in Surrey.

01_350x350.jpg

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
When I took the family to Florida one of the things we did was to have a morning on an airboat in the swamps south Orlando. We saw loads of alligators and other wildlife and the airboat captain was a right character as well. It was one of the highlights of our trip for me :)

That sounds awesome. Unfortunately we only had a week & with the price of Disney tickets we wanted to make it all count! Magical for our 5-year old daughter, for a big ol' cynic like me, I was quite emotional at times when witnessing the dedication of the cast members.

Now waiting at the airport to come home again :(

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK

That sounds awesome. Unfortunately we only had a week & with the price of Disney tickets we wanted to make it all count! Magical for our 5-year old daughter, for a big ol' cynic like me, I was quite emotional at times when witnessing the dedication of the cast members.

Now waiting at the airport to come home again :(

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's great when you see a non UK indigenous critter abroad -make you really feel like you've travelled. We got very close to a spiny echidna in Tasmania - such a great experience.

Armadillos aren't truly indigenous east of the Mississippi River though; they didn't migrate this far east until after the river had been bridged in the later 1800s.

They are fascinating critters none-the-less. Did you know they're the only animal other than humans that can get Leprosy?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE