Crossbow - wanted!

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yarp, I need a crossbow.. obviously. ;)

Looking for a tough, reliable crossbow in full working condition! In either full sized (stocked) or a pistol style. Would be good if it comes with some bolts but not essential.

I'm more interested in a modestly valued one tbh, as it'll just be for plinking and murdering card boxes with badger faces drawn on them! :)

I got plenty of bits n bobs to swap or if you're a full member I can give you coin!

Please let me know if you have oen going and feel free to pm me!

Thanks,

Sam.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just a thought chap - if you get a full sized bow, you need a proper target boss - trust me. Mine will shoot through 1" oak planks - the only thing that happens is it tears the flights off...so cardboard boxes might not be the best of targets :)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Just a thought chap - if you get a full sized bow, you need a proper target boss - trust me. Mine will shoot through 1" oak planks - the only thing that happens is it tears the flights off...so cardboard boxes might not be the best of targets :)

boxes of frozen badgers..? :D

Pistol preferabely, as they don't go through boxes stuffed with jeans and stuff. I was gona buy the tomkat mk2 self cocking one earlier but figured I'd give it a day or two here then whip out the plastic!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The pistol ones are fun for sure - much lighter bolts. A good way of making a target is to layer a lot of material and pass a couple of ratchet straps around it and tighten them to give a solid block. Closed cell kip mat foam works brilliantly if you stack a load of it up and ratchet it tight (shoot at the edge where it looks like the pages of a closed book)

Hagrid

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2013
North Devon
go for a Cobra Tomcat MK2 80LB pistol crossbow, very powerful for a pistol crossbow and cheap too. available from bladesandbows and other stockists.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
If you haven't shot an 80lb pistol crossbow before then you will be surprised the first time you do. It shoots very quickly so make sure you are pointing at the target all the time.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I have a vintage Barnett folding, solid wood stock crossbow . Must be from the 1980'90s With sights & ******* string, + 10 x bolts. I don't play with it. I guess its just here in-case the world turns ****. I have considered selling it, but to be honest, they don't fetch much. I also have a old Barnett Trident pistol crossbow. This I do play with. It penetrates the shed door no problem.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The pistols are great fun just make sure you have a decent target as Red says of you will end up with no fletch on the bolts and they dont fly well without them.
Also get lots of spare bolts as they fall apart in no time. Friend has a little one with laser sights and its pretty accurate.
Another friend has a full size crossbow and its never used as there is no-where safe to use it, scary thing even just holding it when cocked, not a fan at all. Can see why they were considered so evil back in the day and reserved for shooting none-Christian folks only.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I've had a cheap 80lb pistol in the past, broke all the abs bolts in a day but the metal ones were good. Had a few bounce out of trees which was terrifying! :)

Like I said, I'll test the water here for a few days and order a new one if nothing comes up.

Might make some bodkin heads too from old spoons like fishfish.. just incase the badgers defrost.

I have some carpet shreds around somewhere that should take some impact safely.

Anyone fired or got one like this? looks cool but is actually a full power 14-16" bolt shooter..

heard one review saying they were 'cheaply made' though..

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I have two archery boss's The round straw one is too heavy to keep getting out. The other square plastic covered one is no good for the big crossbow.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
And at three feet it might do this...

article-2009774-0CCB85EA00000578-337_634x628.jpg

article-2009774-0CCB85F600000578-247_634x345.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE