Crooked knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I had a go at Making a Crooked knife out of a File This Morning.
I will post another pic when I've found a suitable branch for the handle and fitted it.
45001.jpg

45002.jpg

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
that's got the workings of a good tool there forest fella- one piece of advice i would give is that next time bend the blade around something round, a broomstick, a bit of pipe, anything really that will make the curve a bit less harsh. As it is the " scoop" looks very deep and will not leave a nice finish on the inside of your bowls or spoons.

other than that it looks like a great first effort

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
I had a go at Making a Crooked knife out of a File This Morning.
I will post another pic when I've found a suitable branch for the handle and fitted it.
45001.jpg

45002.jpg

I tried to post this before but it never came up, so here goes again:)

firstly, that's a cracking wee blade there:) but i have a tiny bit of advice to give- the bend in the blade appears to be quite acute, this will leave very coarse, deep tool marks in your workpiece. I often find that it helps to bend the blade around a piece of dowel or pipe as this gives a smoother more continuous curve.

hope this is useful.

Nathan

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
well guys I just tried to bend the Hook into more of a Rounded shape,and snapped it in half.2 days wasted there

Sorry for any confusion- i meant that duriong the manufacture of the blade- ie when it was in its annealed state- that you should form it into a snoother curve.

sorry for any confusion.

Nathan

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
yeah no probs,I put it back in my homemade forge intil the right colour for forging,Orange.
But it broke off near the Choil.where I left it softer.
I'm going to see if I can find someone to make one for me.
I have one from jojo,but I wanted one made out of a file,like you see in Bushcraft books,like the Native American's used.

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
just keep at it - try another one!!

...remember too that some files are case hardened and will not make proper knives. Someone with more metalurgical knowledge will fill us in.....

j

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Not being up to making a blade myself when I wanted a crook I bought a couple from a makers in Sheffield. Unlike the finished knives they sell they let me have them before the final edge was put on so I didn't have to get rid of the nasty bevel they put on the back.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=240969

I should practice with it more, its the only way I'll get confident with it.

ATB

Tom

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
And here's another one I just made,this is the last one I will be making as I rushed making it,to beat the rain.And ended up making a Left Handed Crook knife,And I'm Right Handed.
Besides that small muck-up it did turn out ok
P1010083.jpg

P1010084.jpg

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
...not to laugh at your misfortune, but I've turned left into right and right into left on many of my projects - just a quick slip of the pattern and I'm so focused on cutting the parts out that I don't realize I've mixed it up until the damage is done.....ah well, now you can become ambidextrous!!!

D

Hooks on carving crooked knives (hook knives) come in as many shapes and sizes as one wants. Basically a carver makes the hook they need for the job at hand... single bevel, double bevel, bevelled on the bottom or top side.
hook_knife_set_6_700.jpg

The problem with most retail bought hoof knives is that they are built with poor quality steel. They are not built to last.

Usually hook knives are made with longer handles so that a carver can use both hands.
The longer handles create a different balance as well when your carving with one hand.
crooked_med6_W_in_hand.jpg

Scott
Hook Knives

http://aki-and-scott-fireweed.blogspot.com/

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
And here's another one I just made,this is the last one I will be making as I rushed making it,to beat the rain.And ended up making a Left Handed Crook knife,And I'm Right Handed.
Besides that small muck-up it did turn out ok
P1010083.jpg

P1010084.jpg

know how you feel mate- i've done that before! still, it looks like a nice knife, just make another and you'll have a matched set:)

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Well after breaking the Crooked knife made from the file,I turned it into a Half decent Flint Striker,It fit's on three fingers and does throw a good amount of sparks
5001-4.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE