Crook knives / decent axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Hi..
To help with my general bushcraftiness, I'm in need of a crook knife (my sliced fingers have told me they'll go on strike if I continue to try and carve out the bowl of a spoon with a normal knife!) and a decent axe. When I say decent axe I mean something that I won't have to spend hours 'fixing' before it's useful for me - ala gransfors or something of a similar calibre ;)

While it's less critical about the knife, I really would like to inspect the axe before buying (having seen a number of threads on here) - so I'd like to get one from somewhere local.

Preferably around York, but anywhere in North or East Yorkshire is okay as well..

So - has anyone used any shops in this neck of the woods?

I've googled a bit, but not found anything - although I'll admit I'm not the king of search engines..

Any help is apreciated...

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Contact Maurice Pyle (woodsmith's store web site) he is based at gateshead, he sells garnsfor's axe's and visit's there factory, he understand's these things. Nice chap to deal with.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The frost spoon knives are excellent value for money, Sometimes people fettle them a bit, but they will work as they are. I removed the secondary bevel on mine.

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Contact Maurice Pyle (woodsmith's store web site) he is based at gateshead, he sells garnsfor's axe's and visit's there factory, he understand's these things. Nice chap to deal with.

Thanks for the info guys..

I ordered a Frost crook knife from him last night, less of a rush for the axe so I have time to email him to discuss that, unless someone knows of a local stockist..

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Sorry it's abit after the event, but you can get frost's wood carving knives from "Barnett's" in Colliergate (York) as well as sharpening stones, some axes, Etc.

Rich.

Thanks Rich - I did take a look at some axes in there the other day (wasn't super-impressed at the time, but didn't have long to look - I was trying to find the dremels at the time), but never for a moment thought they'd stock wood carving knives.. I'll take a look next time I can get into town...

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Personally Haiku I would not stress over your axe. If you know which one you want I would order it from here http://www.gransfors.co.uk/index.html cheapest prices you will find including P&P and VAT. I know there has been quite a bit of discussion about gransfors haft quality but my personal take is that they are all very good working tools off the shelf. I recently bought 8 GB carving axes and they are all perfectly good serviceable tools.

Rosco

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2008
west yorkshire
I have some different crook knives and a Gransfors carving axe you are welcome to call and try before you buy but I'm down in Wakefield.
John

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Sorry it's abit after the event, but you can get frost's wood carving knives from "Barnett's" in Colliergate (York) as well as sharpening stones, some axes, Etc.
Rich.

Barnett's is a great shop I have spent ages in there looking around I think they sell wetterings axes as well a spoon knives etc.

Alf

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE