Cromer, What to do, see and where to stay?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
As the title would suggest, we are thinking about going to Cromer.

Any recomendations?

B+B's,

Campsites,

Places to sample the famed Cromer crab etc

Cheers !:cool:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A walk along the shingle beaches up the coast will reveal dozens of fossils - huge numbers of belemnites and gryphae - just pick em up from the shingle

and you have to eat dressed crab - its the law :)

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Last time I saw Cromer I was several miles offshore trying not to get a crab pot round my keel!

Is a fascinating part of the world and the coast has a very special character, so I'd definitely do some coastal exploring.

Scoops

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
Hi Tartanferret, I had relatives in Cromer and have consequently spent a lot of time there.

If it still exists and you want a good family B&B I would recommend the Birch House Hotel, close to the town centre, good parking on street or in car park adjacent to the rear.
The other guys in the thread have covered the main things to see, eat Cromer crab, checkout the lifebout and Henry Blogg (highest ever decorated RNLI man). Horsey Windmill on the broads is a good place to visit and the nearby will coastland is great if you like walking and big skies.

Lots of soil erosion issues so if you are into lost villages etc, worth checking out. There's a good museum behind Cromer church, loads of fossils etc.

You can find amber on the beach - looking for that can be quite fun. Take a pint glass full of water and chuck likely looking orange pebbles into it the odd one that floats will be amber.

There is a very rustic museum east of Norwich which had an "iceni village" not sure of it is still there but interesting if it is.

There is also a really good military museum with working tanks, jeeps and the like not far from Cromer - I'm sorry I really don't remember the name of it but it is advertised all round there.

If you are into traction engines and the like check out Strumpshaw Steam Museum and there is another museum nearby aswell with dozens of traction engines and steam organs, sadly my memory will not give up the name but the local tourist information will have leaflets.

Wildlife - seals and shorebirds, check out the boat trips and nature reserves (too many to choose from) - take your binos to get the best from it.

Bushcraft wise you are not far from Thetford Forest with it's 8th Army memorial and miles of Breckland (woodland and scrub - watch out for adders)

And lastly, if I have not rambled on enough already, Grimes Graves, which are Neolithic flint mines (two of which you can go down) and all their associated history and a small amount of exhibits (if you are into fkint knapping, this is the place for you)

Good luck and enjoy :)

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Thanks for the tips, much appreciated !

I wonder if I can live off crab for the weekend?

We usually go to Whitby, where I try to live off fish and seafood as much as I can (bought, not foraged I'm afraid)

All the obvious stuff plus it's the only place I've ever seen and eaten smoked rollmops.

cheers !goodjob

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
The Military museum up the coast is the Muckleborough Collection

http://www.muckleburgh.co.uk/

As a family we holiday'd in Mundesley just down the coast for about 20 years on the trot, i know my way round that part of the world better than i do Leeds with is 12 miles away from me!

Cromer now has a zoo again

http://www.amazonazoo.co.uk/how-to-find-amazona-zoo.php

Not like the one that was there when i was a kid but still a nice day out.
The beaches all around the area are great to spend time on
Sheringham just up the coast is a nice little place and if the kids want a day at a water park it has a small but nice one

http://www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/family-fun/Splash_Sheringham/14

There is so much walking to do, seal trips etc it's a great place. I have many fond memories of North Norfolk

This should give you some idea's

http://www.cromeronline.co.uk/

The nicest crab/seafood shop is on New Street just off the front!

Last edited:

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I work in Cromer! All the suggestions provided so far are good ones. There is also a steam railway in Sheringham that is worth a look. Further up the coast is Blakeney Point, fantastic for birdwatching if that's your thing. For local woods mooching you have Pretty Corner. Also plenty of Stately homes, Felbrigg being closest and Blickling a little further. Don't forget to pick up some flint for you flint and steel fire kit, it's lying around everywhere!

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
A walk along the shingle beaches up the coast will reveal dozens of fossils - huge numbers of belemnites and gryphae - just pick em up from the shingle

During the 80's I used to go to Cromer after a high tide or storm and beach-comb the the high tide mark for Amber and Jet. My girlfriend at the time made jewellery We found some lovely bits of Amber and Whitby Jet on the beach at Cromer. Amber floats in salt water, so dropping any suspected stone through heavily salted water left the Amber floating on the surface, whilst the stones sank.
Jet is warm to the touch (not cold like glass) and will leave a brown mark when drawn on the back of a ceramic tile.
Not sure how much you can find these days, but worth a look. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE