CRKT Dogfish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Since it's summer now I have been looking into more discrete great for minimal carry with less clothing. We all know I'm not exactly a "minimalist" but sometimes what I'd prefer to have on me just isn't practical...so I'm studying options. One knife I'm checking out right now is the Dogfish. It's made by CRKT and it's a krein design. Over-all it's roughly 5.25 inches, the blade is just a hair over 2 inches, it's 1/8 inch thick and made of 3Cr13 stainless steel.

IMG_5882.jpg

It's a "3 finger" knife, but pretty comfortable to hold.

IMG_6141.jpg

It comes from the factory with a great edge.

IMG_6002.jpg

IMG_5958.jpg

The pommel is a bottle opener and you can use it without cutting your fingers. I know this one would twist off...but I wasn't really in the mood for anything "harder".

IMG_6135.jpg

IMG_6136.jpg

IMG_6138.jpg

IMG_6140.jpg

Since the subject earlier today was one-handed fire starting I decided to give the dogfish a go while I was at it using the ferro rod I'd be most likely to have on me all the time no matter what...the nanostriker.

I scraped some bamboo shavings and let them dry a bit.

IMG_6201.jpg

IMG_6198.jpg

I gathered a few twigs and then after the shavings dried I placed it all on a leaf for a dry base.

IMG_6191.jpg

Then I pinned the knife down with my foot, placed the ferro rod against it, applied pressure, and quickly pulled back. The first couple of goes I must have moved too slow because all it did was slice off slivers of the ferro rod but then when it threw sparks those slivers just added to the tinder and I had a fire pretty quick.

IMG_6203.jpg

IMG_6192.jpg

IMG_6193.jpg

I know it looks like I burned the knife but it did clean up really well just wiping with a damp bandanna.

IMG_6194.jpg

IMG_6195.jpg

All in all, even though it is small, it's not bad at all for a minimalist fixed blade. Here is a size comparison pic most will get. You can see how it will "print" less under thinner shirts.

IMG_5997.jpg

IMG_5996.jpg

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Nice review, nice looking little compact knife too. What are they costing???

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE