Crayfish ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dennis Mapletoft

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2005
MELTON MOWBRAY / Leics
I am confused, ye ye i know its not something new :) , can you catch signal crayfish ? i understand that our native crayfish are protected, but what about the Yank invaders? from what i understand, you can catch them but need a permit to do so, can anyone clear this up for me. Yours Den :confused:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i remember hugh furnly-whatsitface did it in one of his programs, my be worth looking in his book if you have it or on his website.. i was under the impression the Yank invaders are a pest and there fore you can do what you want to them.. let us know what you find out!

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Signal crayfish are OK to catch and really easy too - not sure about the license though...

They tast great. We were given some last year. Alittle fidley but very nice :D

Cheers

Mark

Dennis Mapletoft

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2005
MELTON MOWBRAY / Leics
Thanks Scanker, just looked at the link and wow, what a mine field, you can do this but not that, you have to do this but if you do you have to do this and that, you can do it there but not there :eek: , i think ill sleep on it :lmao: , by the way anyone brave enough to go for the little blighters, traps can be had from this link
http://www.askari-fishing.co.uk
Yours Den

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
Traps? Who needs 'em? Last time me and mine went crayfish fishing, we used a crab line with a piece of bacon on the end, and a kiddies fishing net (the sort you see at the beach). Dangle the bait, wait for movement and scoop. Get loads that way.

Kane

Forager
Aug 22, 2005
UK
From the link I see that I live in a no licence area :) (Cambs) my question to the fisherman out there is are there any health problems to eating things out of the waterways due to the chemicals used on the farming land?

Kane

Kane said:
From the link I see that I live in a no licence area :) (Cambs) my question to the fisherman out there is are there any health problems to eating things out of the waterways due to the chemicals used on the farming land?

Kane

I put them in a bucket of clean water for a few hours. This helps to clean them through and reduce the "earthy" taste. There is always the potential for health problems, the Environment Agency recently but a short term ban on catching them on a local river, due to a polution incident :eek:

I have not yet suffered ill effects though :D

Kane

Forager
Aug 22, 2005
UK
Think I may give it a go there;s loads of little drains/ditches as well as the bigger ones (which are fitted out with fishing pegs so presumably require a licence) think it's worth trying the smaller drains? Or do you need a licence for them too?

Kane

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I have checked out the link too , and my post code is a licence free zone .
So my questions are , how do i go about finding if these crayfish are in my local rivers ? How do i make sure that i am not catching the native species ? What would be the best method for catching them ? Is there a prefered season ?
I think the kids would enjoy trying to catch some with their old man :D
Cheers
Pumbaa

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
There's a guy on evil bay selling eel/cray traps at the mo, just search for net, there only a tenner and really good, just out of interest ;) , ive caught them in lake Taho in the states using a large flat pebble with bacon tied to the top on the end of a bit of string gives them something to sit on and works well too..

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
pumbaa said:
I have checked out the link too , and my post code is a licence free zone .
So my questions are , how do i go about finding if these crayfish are in my local rivers ? How do i make sure that i am not catching the native species ? What would be the best method for catching them ? Is there a prefered season ?
I think the kids would enjoy trying to catch some with their old man :D
Cheers
Pumbaa
I catch them in a local pond, I put a trap down in the night and collect them in the morning, use something like an eel trap funneled so they can get in but can't get out, bait it with some old meat or fish bones, if they're there they will soon find it

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
gregorach said:
Apparenlty they've been moving into Scotland recently, so they must be up your way somewhere...

I think that in Scotland you get them in the River Dee (between Loch Ken and the estuary) and the Skyre Burn (more specifically the Lagganmullen Burn a tributary of the Skyre:- at grid NX568553) in Dumfries and Galloway. Here is an interesting SNH paper (PDF) on a possible eradication scheme, it gives more grid refs of abundant populations.

As yet I don't think it has made it as far across as Edinburgh? Has anyone seen any on the east coast?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I've seen refs to them turning up in the Ettrick and the Tweed, so they're probably around here somewhere... The question is, would you want to eat a crayfish from the Water of Leith or the Almond? ;)

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
gregorach said:
I've seen refs to them turning up in the Ettrick and the Tweed, so they're probably around here somewhere... The question is, would you want to eat a crayfish from the Water of Leith or the Almond? ;)

Ha your right :lmao: . Don't think I'd risk it. They are getting cleaner but I'm not sure I'd risk it just yet!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE