Crayfish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cletus

Sep 9, 2010
leeds
Hello can any one help? What do i need to go catching crayfish and where in leeds area.
many thanks paul.

charlieh

Apr 26, 2010
Staffordshire
given your area i would plead that you get an Id guide for the different types of crayfish as within 30mins of leeds there are both native and signal crayfish, and the native ones are becoming rarer at an alarming rate and putting them at risk would be a gret shame, also its worth mentioning that if your moving your traps between rivers then they want dissenfecting between rivers so you dont spread crayfish and fish diseases.

You dont need a license to turn stones over for signal crayfish, but you do if your finding native crayfish (and should stop turning over the stones)

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
You don't need a lisence to trap the invasive signal crayfish. You only need a lisence where there are the native smaller crayfish. Best place to find them is canals and rivers. Ask fisherman when your about walking. I always catch them with a piece of string and a bacon rind. Just hold it on the bottom when it twitches pull it out nice and steady with no jerk. I've have upto 4 on one lift. Which I find is better as no one can say there is a possibility of trapping native crayfish. A fella from the enviroment agency sat with me for half an hour watching me catch them. I gave him 6 for his tea. I'm sure he knew if I needed a lisence or not. This method doesn't work well in rivers as the flow pull them off the bacon rind

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Only to catch native crayfish. Signal crayfish aren't native and as a result have no protection. I understand people need to be advised to stay within the law. But people should make sure they know what they're talking about.

Wow, OK. Not sure I deserved that.

It was my understanding that anywhere where there is a possibility of catching native crayfish you'd need a license to catch signal crayfish. Can you point to some online guidance to clear the issue up please?

I found this... it was what I was basing my advice on.

This is from the Defra site -
Defra, UK - Fisheries - Salmon and freshwater fisheries - Crayfish

NATIONAL CRAYFISH TRAPPING BYELAWS
On 1 June 2005, the Environment Agency introduced a package of crayfish Byelaws that will allow them, under certain conditions, to approve the trapping of crayfish in England and Wales. In the past only the Thames Region of the Environment Agency had the authority to allow this activity.
The hope is that the byelaws will aid in the control non-native populations, and where appropriate, commercially exploit them. They also hope that these byelaws will go some way towards protecting the remaining native crayfish populations.
If you are thinking of trapping crayfish you should bear in mind that there are a number of conditions that need to be met. Permission to trap will be dependent on local situations, in particular the presence of the native crayfish. The EA will also take into account the possible detrimental effect that trapping could have on other species, such as protected animals like otters and water voles. Many water courses go through private properties and it will be your responsibility to obtain the permission of the landowner before you commence. You should also try and ensure that the traps are inspected every 24 hours, and disinfected after use.
You should also be aware that if you reintroduce the caught crayfish into any other waters, without the required licence, you could be liable for prosecution under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and this could result in a heavy fine.
We would strongly advise you to seek advice from your local Environment Agency Officer before you make an application.
Crayfish trapping advice packs are available from the National Fisheries Laboratory 01480 483968. Further information on these byelaws can be found on the Environment Agency website.

Last edited:

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
Well from what I read in your quote from defra. What I said stands true. You don't need a lisence to CATCH signal crayfish. Only natives. And as for the rest with regards to wild life. It's common sense. Maybe posting that article would have been better than just saying. " you need a lisence to catch crayfish" which even onthe evidence you gave is untrue. Also the thread started asking about how to catch crayfish. There are more ways than trapping. And that is the only method covered by the DEFRA piece. Defras online advice can be a little confusing. But generally a phone call puts things right, so you know where you stand. So to advise they need a lisence with no other advice Indicates. That's how it is pure and simple is simply wrong. And I in no way intended to offend you. But you were wrong in what you said as your own evidence states. As in all things in this country nothing is black and White you need to check up and do your homework. Not simply state they need a lisence. Sorry if I offended you but statements like that should be founded somewhere AND put into context.

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
Like I said piece of string and bacon rind. That way even if you do get a native grab on you just shake it off and move on. They are as said earlier endangered. So catching signals is helping them in this method no traps to clean in different rivers. Nothing left unattended to harm wild life etc. So no problems. Again it's all about locating them and it's great fun. I like to keep them in fresh clean water and feed them a few days to a week. Makes them taste so much better. I learned this as a 12 year old on the caldon canal in Stoke. I had over a 100 in a day on this method and sold them to the local chinese takeaway

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
And I in no way intended to offend you. But you were wrong in what you said as your own evidence states. As in all things in this country nothing is black and White you need to check up and do your homework. Not simply state they need a lisence. Sorry if I offended you but statements like that should be founded somewhere AND put into context.

Its OK to disagree with someone, things can and are interpreted differently. I was backing up advice given to me by a Bailiff with info found on the web. As such I had no reason to think it was incorrect. The info states:

We would strongly advise you to seek advice from your local Environment Agency Officer before you make an application.

Which to me implies you need to apply for a licence.

OK this is for trapping not for "catching" - but still useful to know.

But you are guilty of the same things as I am - you may or may not be right - but we have to take your word for it. That's what offended me. Saying I am giving info and not backing it up whilst doing exactly the same thing.

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
I feel like I used your info to back up what I said. And did you think that maybe they asked you too seek advice before applying as you might not need to apply? Also I don't see how I can provide anymore info on the time I spent talking to an EA officer? I somehow doubt he would have accepted my gift of crayfish had I been harvesting them illegally. And also sure he would have told me during our hour long conversation about them. As I said. You don't need a lisence in waters where natives are not k own to be. There is lots of I formation about where they are to avoid them. In my opinion it's best to just catch/trap where only signals are to save any doubt. I didn't know that everything posted had to be backed up with documented evidence. I guess the readers can choose who to believe. Just a question how often many times have you been out after crayfish?

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sorry Ray but you do need a licence to any crayfish in England and Wales - don't for get not all EA officers are fisheries officers, very few in fact. Most EA officers you see around the river are pollution or flood defence people and can have very limited knowledge of law outside their area. For example I do Environmental Health but don't know much about food safety law as its not my area - but I still go into food places most days. The licencing is not just to protect native crayfish but also other no traget spiece that may be present even if it s miles from native caryfish ie down south.

PArt of the requirements for obtain a licence include:
1) NGR of where traps are
2) dates when trapping
3) traps must meet a certain standard - openings must be less than 90mm to prevent otters getting their head in.

Trapping without a licence = big fine. And the EA are starting to seriously look at this one.

But has been said turning rocks over of bacon on string doesn't need a crayfish licence. Yuo will need a rod licence for anything on a string though.

Try turning stone at the R Wharfe at Ilkely to strat with - but you'llhave to wait until the wter warms up

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
As EdS says, you do need a licence to trap crays in the UK, regardless of the species. This has been discussed ad infinitum on BcUK over the years and the law is pretty clear on the matter, If you do a search you will find numerous references to the various laws and by-laws concerning it.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
no the subject of crayfish, does anyone know whether there's any signal crayfish in the river amber? or where i'd be able to find out such information?

i'm a big boy now, i'll do my own worrying/research regards licences!
edit: i reckon that jonathan probably knows what he's talking about on this subject, not to say that the rest of don't, i just happen to trust jonathan's opinion on this.

cheers

stuart

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
no the subject of crayfish, does anyone know whether there's any signal crayfish in the river amber? or where i'd be able to find out such information?

i'm a big boy now, i'll do my own worrying/research regards licences!

cheers

stuart

I would have thought so Stu, the things are everywhere.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Ok I have looked at pictures of the two (native and signal) and I am not sure I would be able to tell the diff.
So can anyone point out an easy way to tell the difference for us 'duffers'?
I fancy the idea of trying to catch some with a string and bacon rind, but don't want to pull the wrong ones out!
Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE