Crayfish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Ok I have looked at pictures of the two (native and signal) and I am not sure I would be able to tell the diff.
So can anyone point out an easy way to tell the difference for us 'duffers'?
I fancy the idea of trying to catch some with a string and bacon rind, but don't want to pull the wrong ones out!
Alan

You'd find it easier to tell in the flesh.
Natives have rough claws on top and signals have smooth claws, signals also have a white flash at the pincer joint.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I won't go into the licensing thing cause I have absolutely no idea. We usually catch crayfish (crawfish) by using a long handled, thin mesh net to rake up the debris from the bottom of the ditch or stream then turn it over on the bank to pick out the crawfish. I don't know if that would be legal there are not however because it could disturb bottom habitat. Usually we only eat those over 4 inches or so, anything less is great bait for fin fish though. How do you cook then there?

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Dunno if im allowed to post links to another forum :O but heres an article (if you can call it that) i wrote on the topic of licensing (with the intention of writing a full guide on crayfishing) http://woodlife.ning.com/forum/topics/a-quick-guide-to-crayfishing

Happy fishing
Dan

P.S Licensing is really easy & free so its a good idea to get one. better than having your traps removed, being tracked down and fined.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE